Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jul 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3660820)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comparing eras

Watched the GP, and as the lady is away, left a classic F1 race on Sky F1 that's going right now - the German 93 race.

It got me thinking - which drivers from each era remind me of each other / are their equivalents.

- Brundle reminds me of Hulkenberg.
- Verstappen, more than any of the others, reminds me of Senna in terms of real natural feistyness / raw ability.
- Alesi = Massa
- Berger = Kimi
- Hill = Rosberg
- Prost = Vettel
- Schuey = Lewis

Wondered what people thought...?
Old 24 Jul 2016, 23:33 (Ref:3660956)   #2
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is an insult to Damon Hill!! Rosberg is a cheating Twunt!!

My own opinion of course, in no way an attack on the poster at all!!!

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 24 Jul 2016 at 23:54.
Old 25 Jul 2016, 10:45 (Ref:3661043)   #3
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go Schu = Alonso - complete package, building team (granted with polar results today)

Hill = no real comparison in todays age. A driver with some natural talent but loads of determination and willingness to learn. (And I'm not a Hill fan but respect where due.)
Old 25 Jul 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3661050)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Vettel is like Berger, happy go lucky Germanic driving for Ferrari

I agree Verstappen is like Senna in terms of natural talent

Button has often said he styles himself on Prost

Raikkonen if he hadn't been dropped could have gone down the Alboreto/Arnoux route

Ricciardo could become another Patrese, certainly has that gentlemanly demeanour off the track

Hulkenberg looks like being another Martini, too much time in midfield cars, never able to break into a top team

Even though he lost his seat at the start of the Crashtor is obviously de Crasheris

At the end of the year we'll see how rookies like Palmer, Wehrlrin, Vandoorne and Haryanto fit in
Old 25 Jul 2016, 14:57 (Ref:3661088)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
- Alesi = Massa
this one fits for me. both drivers are among the most beloved Ferrari drivers but didnt really find success while there.

Massa has many more wins but i think he broke Alesi's Ferrari record of longest span at Ferrari without getting a win. a strange comparison in that its rooted in futility but on my part there is admiration for both of them.

Old 26 Jul 2016, 21:37 (Ref:3661359)   #6
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Verstappen is Schumacher... right down to the parachuting into a top team (albeit after a whole season and a bit, not just 1 corner of a race!!)

Hulkenberg is Fisichella or Herbert

Perez is HHF

Sainz is Alonso from 13/14 years ago!

I'm not going to compare Shamilton to anyone!

Rosberg is Berger or Patrese

Vettel is Rindt

Kimi is Reutemann (so hot and cold its bizarre)

Button is Hill
Old 31 Jul 2016, 19:32 (Ref:3662686)   #7
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Button is maybe a lesser Prost. He does have the smooth driving style like The Professor had(and Stewart). Not got the out and out race pace of Prost, and not as good in qualifying as he was(before he was up against Senna). Fast in the rain though(in that way - he's closer to Stewart). Can't seem to get good speed out of an ill balanced car though(where as I think Stewart and Prost could).

Alonso sort of reminds me of a cross between Prost and Mansell. Knows how to build a team around him(Prost) and a thinking driver. Goes from top team to top team(both Prost and Mansell). Maybe lacking outright pace over one lap and qualifying - but in race day, he has something extra - can really wring the neck of a car and gain extra places(much like Mansell with his overtaking moves or Prost with his fastest laps and think of Mexico 1990). Also missing out on WDCs in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2013 by narrow margins. Much like what happened to Prost a few times(1984 is the most memorable) and Mansell(1986, 1987 and 1991). Interestingly, he does have a very unique driving style - in that it's understeery - seems rare in F1.

Kimi - yeah, Reutemann. On his day - and thinking back to his days as McLaren - this guy was fastest. I think Coulthard said that he was probably one of the naturally fastest drivers ever in F1. I think he was better overall than his later teammate JPM. His McLaren era was his "glory days". A solid era at Ferrari(he did win a WDC after all). On return, whilst he had lost some of his speed, he did seem to have better racecraft at Lotus. When he's on it - he's fast - when he's not - he's down the grid.

Vettel - Schumi? He certainly displays the ruthlessness towards Webber. Turkey and Multi 21! Also shades of Senna. I think he clearly has the leadership qualities and also the thinking capacity. Probably, the best at qualifying in F1 at the moment - if he was in a frontline car then he would be getting poles by the dozen like in his Red Bull days. Fast in the wet as well. His first win at Monza in 2008 in the Torro Rosso was very impressive - and showed what he could do. His year with Danny blighted him some what. I don't know if that's winning multiple WDCs and draining you(I think that has happened to Lewis recently) - it was good to see him return to form last year. In Singpore, last year, he returned to his old dominant ways - pole, pulls away and wins with little fuss.

Verstappen - does sort of remind you of Senna. A very young turk getting thrown in at the deep end of F1 - and showing some of the older guys up. He hasn't yet dominated his teammate - like early Senna did with De Angelis or over Berger though. But, definitely a young guy who is very fast in a top team and delivering.

Hulkenberg - Bellof. A very fast driver in lower formulas, but never got into the top teams for F1.

Yeah, I see the Massa and Alessi similarities. Both loved Ferrari. Both were very unlucky. Remember the amount of times that Alessi Ferrari was leading and conked out on him? Both also had a strong teammate - Massa with Alonso, and Alessi with Prost.

Don't know who to compare Hamilton to. For one thing, the whole "mixed race" thing. Certainly, he's got some showmanship to him - think Villeneuve(Gilles) with his overtakes(which sometimes don't pay off). Plus, he is quick in the wet. A bit reckless - yes. I don't think he has the talent of Gilles though. He also does like the dodgey haircuts/colours like his son Jacques. Plus, he plays the guitar like Jacques.