Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 4 Mar 2004, 11:01 (Ref:893373)   #1
GoThatWay
Rookie

GoThatWay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recommendations for a tow car

... please.

For towing a 2-seater on a flatbed, total weight about 1.5 tonnes.

Current XJ8 isn't that great (gearing's all wrong, long rear overhang doesn't help maneouvering). Previous Saab 9-5 estate was good, as were earlier Legacy and (of course) Range Rover. I'm now wanting to down-size a bit to something that will be a bit of fun - when not towing - but on the other hand the heavier the towing vehicle the better.

What's a good compromise ? i know of one chap who uses an Impreza - is that good or daft ?
Old 4 Mar 2004, 11:22 (Ref:893383)   #2
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro which is great for towing an FF. (I know someone with an old Impreza that struggled to get a tow bar fitted but don't really know why)
Old 4 Mar 2004, 14:05 (Ref:893539)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The trusty Volvo 850 or whatever it's called these days makes a great tow car as does the Landrover Discovery. Problem with the discovery is it costs a fortune to run (or mine did).
Old 4 Mar 2004, 14:14 (Ref:893553)   #4
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I tow a caravan which is around 20ft long and when laden weighs almost 1.5 tons...
I use a mk3 Mondeo 2 litre turbo diesel and it pulls the van with no problems at all....With kids and the missus in the car and enough luggage for a week away it still pulls it with no problems....
Worth a look I would have thought..
Old 4 Mar 2004, 15:06 (Ref:893603)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Problem with the discovery is it costs a fortune to run (or mine did).
Mine doesn't cost any more than a normal car to run, it does over 30mpg around town and about 23 towing. Iv'e had it 3 years and the only things I have done is renew the shocks, and spent £200 having the front axle rebuilt.
Not bad considering the abuse it now gets having to tow my race car and a trailer full off horse poo (not at the same time) off road.
The only thing I don't like is the insurance, which is overpriced.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 4 Mar 2004 at 15:07.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 15:38 (Ref:893627)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I found the servicing costs horrific, but then this was 12 odd years ago
Old 4 Mar 2004, 16:30 (Ref:893671)   #7
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Discos are notorious for eating gearboxes and engines - not cheap!!!!

The insurance is very high as they're dead easy (and popular) to steal.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 16:32 (Ref:893673)   #8
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I can vouch for that too. Mine was stolen and never recovered.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 17:07 (Ref:893695)   #9
GoThatWay
Rookie

GoThatWay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the suggestions so far, but don't forget that I'd like something that's at least a bit interesting to drive when I'm not towing. Of the current suggestions, only the Audi hints at that.

If I cannot downsize, then I'd probably go for a Saab again, but next time it would be a HOT one.

Last edited by GoThatWay; 4 Mar 2004 at 17:09.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 17:34 (Ref:893723)   #10
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Discos are notorious for eating gearboxes and engines - not cheap!!!!
The insurance is very high as they're dead easy (and popular) to steal
Depends on the engine, I have a TDi200 with a Land Rover engine which are pretty bullet proof. The later Italian engines give trouble. Gearboxes and trannies, hmmmm, can be troublesome and noisy. But what else can you expect with a 50 year old British design, better going for an auto

Last edited by Tim Falce; 4 Mar 2004 at 17:38.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 17:51 (Ref:893741)   #11
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My mate had a Citroen BX for towing and it was brilliant. Best tow vehicle £400 can buy.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 08:55 (Ref:894560)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Subaru Forester? They're supposed to be really good for towing and it's none too shabby when you don't have the trailer nailed on.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 11:47 (Ref:894803)   #13
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Forester's a good idea. Impreza 5 door is another option - shouldn't be a problem fitting towbar etc. And the 5-door fits more **** in the back, and it's less "nickable" (not quite as attractive as the 4 door to either thieves or traffic police!).

The Saab's a fine car, especially in Aero form. Having had one I guess you'll know, but one concern for towing I'd have is that the 9-5 is a front driver - does the suspension cope ok?
Old 5 Mar 2004, 12:29 (Ref:894850)   #14
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
That was always one of the beauties of the Volvo as it had self levelling rear suspension.
Old 5 Mar 2004, 14:49 (Ref:894992)   #15
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tow cars

I use a 4x4 Mazda 2.5 turbo diesel twin cab pick up with a lockable hardtop,which I also use for work.Pulls like a train and you are not for ever changing gear.
You can store loads of stuff in the back,does around 25mpg but sadly only 18 when towing, but I do have a large covered trailer.
I have had several Land Rover's and would never ever buy another,gearboxes,engines etc packing up after 15,000 miles or less.
A pal uses a 1994 5 cylinder petrol Audi Estate,it is a sporty model not sure what but it is very powerful,around 325 bhp. and tows like a dream.
But whatever you choose you will need some weight in the tow car if you are towing a heavy trailer,so a 4x4 is probably best.
Lister
Old 16 Mar 2004, 23:43 (Ref:907719)   #16
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
Subaru Forester? They're supposed to be really good for towing and it's none too shabby when you don't have the trailer nailed on.
A Subaru Forester essentially IS an Impreza isnt it? There's even a Turbo model which would be fun! Personally I like the idea of something that looks like a boring old SUV and isnt.......
Old 17 Mar 2004, 07:32 (Ref:907935)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Anything four wheel drive and of reasonable size - Audi A6 Quattro, Suburu Forester plus the obvious big off roaders, etc
Old 17 Mar 2004, 08:08 (Ref:907952)   #18
Richy_Rich
Racer

France
France
Richy_Rich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hm, I use a 110 LandRover (2.5 Diesel Turbo). It can be 'interesting to drive', especially if you take it off-roading