Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 3 Dec 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1476374)   #1
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fuel savers

I have to say that I'm a bit skeptic about all these things but advertising does make you doubt. The latest fuel saver which is being advertised is one made out of neodymium magnets which is strapped to the fuel line and, supposedly, improves performance and saves as much as 30% in fuel costs by "rearranging" the molecules. This all sounds ridiculous but what puzzles me is the fact that they always offer a money back guarantee.

Anyone has any experiences with these kinds of schemes?
Old 3 Dec 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1476417)   #2
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if any of these gimmics really worked, then car manufacturers who spend millions trying to get better and better fuel consumption would be fitting them.

money back guarentee, thats got to be nothing more than a way to boost sales the chances are the guarentee will boost sales by several 100% so its no big deal if they have to give a few refunds, after all how many will bother claiming a refund? assuming they havn't lost the nec paper work etc, the chances are few, even then i bet most of the claims will be rejected due to small print

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 3 Dec 2005, 20:09 (Ref:1476426)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also thought it was a load of rubbish. But their marketing strategies are so aggressive that they do raise a bit of a doubt even among the most skeptics.

I thought that perhaps they used the fact that many people aren't really aware of how many mpg/kmpg their car does but once they buy it they do the math and, psychologically, they arrive to the conclusion that they are in fact saving fuel.
Old 4 Dec 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1477024)   #4
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
we use them on our trucks. They give us about 15 minutes extra running time from a full tank on a 7.5tonner and 25mins on an artic. Ive never noticed a difference on a petrol car but maybe a miniscule ammount on diesels
Old 5 Dec 2005, 09:25 (Ref:1477203)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/gasave.htm
Old 6 Dec 2005, 08:50 (Ref:1478055)   #6
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that just about says it all

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 8 Dec 2005, 01:28 (Ref:1479320)   #7
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have never come across a scientific report that concluded these should be fitted to a car. On the other hand, I have seen a couple that said they shouldn't. On balance, I think if you really want to save on fuel costs, drive slower or get a LPG conversion!
Old 8 Dec 2005, 02:28 (Ref:1479352)   #8
Sharky
Veteran

Indeed Andy and thanksfor the link Dave.i think that not many people are aware that the best fuelsaver is within their hands;driving habits.

Example: My dad has the nasty habit of not keeping the accelerator in one place. He's always pressing and releasing. I kept telling him about how much fuelhe wouldsave otherwise. Well, I think I finally mademy point. He gets about 35-38 Kmpg (1.6L 2004 Mazda 323). The other day I used his car for a couple of days and,although I'm not exactly the slowest driver out there, I got around 46Kmpg. He's now trying to change his driving habits