Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 17 Apr 2006, 15:27 (Ref:1585861)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ausper

After 40 years of watching motor racing, I still come across cars that I have never seen before and just occasionally one I have never even heard about before. Coming in the latter category, a couple of weeks ago at the HSCC meeting, were 2 1961 Ausper T3s, one, No.76 driven by Vernon Williamson, and the other no.66 driven by Alexander Morton, entered in the Historic FJ race. Pictures of both below:-

The country of origin of these pretty little cars is obvious, but how many were built and what is their background and history. Would someone kindly enlighten me, please?
Old 17 Apr 2006, 16:36 (Ref:1586873)   #2
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Built by Competition Cars of Australia who were based in Goldhawk Road, London W12 (and not Australia at all!)

Steve Ouvaroff and John Rhodes drove them with some success in 1961 and 1962 respectively, but very few cars were ever built.

Ausper also planned to enter F1, using the Clisby V6, but the shortcomings of that engine (a porous block being the main one!) meant the car never progressed beyond the planning stage.

Bob Marley
Old 17 Apr 2006, 16:42 (Ref:1586880)   #3
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Two out of three

I understand that just four cars were built. One car was crashed heavily in period and might have been written off. The final car is I believe in the States.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1587518)   #4
Dick Willis
Rookie

Dick Willis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ausper T3

For the full story on Auspers, visit the Formula Junior site, www.formulajunior.com and search "Ausper". Vern Williamson of Scotland and I did a lot of research on the marque a few years ago.
Old 18 Apr 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1587725)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Fascinating stuff, from all of you; many thanks. From the website referred to by Dick, we learn that there were 8 Auspers built in all of which 3 were T3s. Vernon Wiliams car (T303) was the 'works' car. The other two, T304 and T306 finished up in the States, but since there were 2 at Donington, one has come back. Since the website says that T304 was up for sale in 2004, I'm guessing that this is the car that was entered and driven by Alexander Morton?
Old 18 Apr 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1588025)   #6
Dick Willis
Rookie

Ausper T3

The T3 (304) that was owned in the States by Marv Primack was raced by him at Goodwood last year and left in UK for sale being bought by Alex Morton and raced at Donington.

Also back from the States last year was the Type 4, T405 and raced initially by Grant Wilson and then by David Methley at Goodwood last year as was Martin Carter's T4, T407.

Still in the States is the most unusual Ausper of all, the T3, T306, of Brad Balles. Originally a Junior raced by Roy Pike, it was converted to V8 ! power in the sixties and is still a V8. Apparently it is now being restored but still as a V8, the pics I have of it, one of which is on the site referred to above, show it as real "beast", poor little car !
Old 19 Apr 2006, 04:17 (Ref:1588280)   #7
Dick Willis
Rookie

I should have mentioned this in the previous post ; if there is anyone out there who had anything to do with Auspers in the early sixties, there are several unanswered questions which we would very much like to have the answers to in order to fill in some gaps in the Ausper Story and we would really like to hear from you.
Old 19 Apr 2006, 04:37 (Ref:1588294)   #8
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitesse
Built by Competition Cars of Australia who were based in Goldhawk Road, London W12 (and not Australia at all!)

Steve Ouvaroff and John Rhodes drove them with some success in 1961 and 1962 respectively, but very few cars were ever built.

-Ausper also planned to enter F1, using the Clisby V6, but the shortcomings of that engine (a porous block being the main one!) meant the car never progressed beyond the planning stage.
If anyone wants to view the CLISBY V6 South australian designed & built engine ,it is in the foyer of the south australian sporting car club as a display object....
Old 22 Apr 2006, 13:31 (Ref:1591796)   #9
Neptune
Racer

United States
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Neptune should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick,

I am in contact w/ John Kiner and his nephew Jim, both here in Columbus. In fact, Jim recently showed me some photos of his uncle's car. I can remember being at John's home sometime after 1985, probably '86 or '87, because I needed to borrow a tool while I was restoring my Lotus Eleven. The Ausper was still there, although it was for sale at the time.

Jim was going to scan the photos so that I could pass them off to Duncan and other Ausper lovers. Duncan did tell me what chassis it was, but I'm afraid I don't remember. I believe it is in UK today.

Roger
Old 22 Apr 2006, 21:43 (Ref:1592134)   #10
Dick Willis
Rookie

Ausper T3

Hi Roger,

Do you remember seeing the angle of inclination of the engine, was it slightly inclined or massively inclined which would identify whether it was a T3 or T4 respectively.

Dick.
Old 23 Apr 2006, 11:37 (Ref:1592665)   #11
Neptune
Racer

United States
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Dick,

When I corresponded w/ Duncan Rabagliatti about a year ago, after the 1st of the Ausper articles was written in the FJ newsletter, he knew which car I was talking about, As Mr. Kiner is part of the known history he and the current owner have.

When I was at John's shop back in '86, I looked at the Ausper, but knew I couldn't afford it, since I'd had to take out a loan to buy the Eleven, and barely had garage space for that. I now wish I'd taken photos or maybe even more seriously considered it's purchase. But I didn't. Plus, I wanted a Lotus Jr.
That desire was filled several years later when I bought a basketcase 20/22 that I spent years putting together, finally reaching the track late in 2001. Hopefully Jim will have scanned the photos for me when I see him in about 10 days, and I will pass them on to you and Duncan.
Roger
Old 24 Apr 2006, 01:49 (Ref:1593348)   #12
Dick Willis
Rookie

Ausper T3

Roger, Are you sure you aren't referring to Clark Hine whose T4, T405 has now returned to the UK, see my previous post.

Dick.
Old 25 Apr 2006, 02:18 (Ref:1594264)   #13
Neptune
Racer

United States
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Dick,

I'm not sure who the current owner is. I'll have to find the email from DR. But he did tell me it was back in the UK. I knew John hasn't had the car for at least 15 years, but unsure where it had gone.

Roger
Old 7 Jan 2007, 11:21 (Ref:1808735)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Taken from the HSCC Silverstone, 21st October, 2006 thread, here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89892

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
..... here is the sun glinting off David Methley's Ausper T4 which finished 22nd:-

This is another racer that apparently wasn't there, presumably through the absence of transponder! Roger Woodbridge in the other Ausper T4. I think that both these T4s may have been appearing in the UK for the first time in many years and both pictures will also be posted in the Ausper chassis thread:-

Last edited by John Turner; 7 Jan 2007 at 11:24.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 11:34 (Ref:1808741)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I see, from Dick Willis at #6 above that I was wrong about the Methley car having its first appearance in the UK for many years.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 11:43 (Ref:1809483)   #16
allenbrown
OldRacingCars.com
Veteran

allenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridallenbrown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can add a little to that history on formulajunior.com.

The T2 (202) was raced by Bob Webb, appearing at a couple of Australian Gold Star events in 1971. It was said to have 1600cc engine at the time.

The T3 (306) is said to have been converted to Formula A and gone through the hands of Irv Dixon and Bud Erlick. That would be Irv Dickson and Bub Ehrlich, builder and driver respectively of the "Grizzly Torque Spl" Formula A car. I'm stunned that the Grizzly Torque was built out of an Ausper! I'm in touch with Irv and will try to learn more. I also have Brad Balles' email as he's a former BT29 owner (small world!).

Anyone know how to get in touch with the authors of that article with this additional information?

Allen
Old 8 Jan 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1810001)   #17
Vern
Rookie

Scotland
Lasswade
Vern should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auspers

Hi

I am one of the two authors (Dick willis is the other) of the FJ article and I am currently updateing it as there are a few errors that have come recently to light. All info you have would be great. As I hope to update the FJ site very soon. We do know the location of the T2 car in Melbourne and it is currently under going restoration.

Vern

Last edited by Vern; 8 Jan 2007 at 22:24.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 05:06 (Ref:1810126)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the Webb car

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbrown
I can add a little to that history on formulajunior.com.

The T2 (202) was raced by Bob Webb, appearing at a couple of Australian Gold Star events in 1971. It was said to have 1600cc engine at the time.

The T3 (306) is said to have been converted to Formula A and gone through the hands of Irv Dixon and Bud Erlick. That would be Irv Dickson and Bub Ehrlich, builder and driver respectively of the "Grizzly Torque Spl" Formula A car. I'm stunned that the Grizzly Torque was built out of an Ausper! I'm in touch with Irv and will try to learn more. I also have Brad Balles' email as he's a former BT29 owner (small world!).

Anyone know how to get in touch with the authors of that article with this additional information?

Allen
Don Hall in Western Australia ran the Webb Ausper at one point.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 14:01 (Ref:1810408)   #19
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Welcome, Vernon. I'm sure that you have plenty of suitable pics, but if not, please feel free to use mine shown on this thread. If they are not good enough, let me know, and I'll send you the RAW files for you to try.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 14:47 (Ref:1810430)   #20
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
Hi

I am one of the two authors (Dick willis is the other) of the FJ article and I am currently updateing it as there are a few errors that have come recently to light. All info you have would be great. As I hope to update the FJ site very soon. We do know the location of the T2 car in Melbourne and it is currently under going restoration.

Vern
Welcome Vern, I thought this thread may just grab your attention!

All the best, Steve
Old 9 Jan 2007, 18:53 (Ref:1810619)   #21
Vern
Rookie

Scotland
Lasswade
John copy pics by email would be great to add to the history collection. It is amazing how many "old" and new pics have come to ligth in the last few weeks - some filling in missing links.

Steve I guess you know at least one weakness. There are a few gaps that need filled and if you can arrange contact with any of the following would that would be great might even let you sign on at Doune and Knockhill as "media".

A Mr G E Murphy or B G Lapham who raced Auspers in 1965ish and I think one of them lived in Send or Ripley Surrey. At one point they called the cars Murlaps. They hold a key to many questions on the Morton T3 and a T4 which seems lost at present.

John Stevens in Rotherham bought the Australian John Ampt T4 car from Andy MacGregor in 1972 and holds the key to what happened to it.

Finally a Roger Porteous in Jersey would also be useful.

So show me you can do more than take pics then Steve.

Thanks Vern
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:15 (Ref:1811295)   #22
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern
John Stevens in Rotherham bought the Australian John Ampt T4 car from Andy MacGregor in 1972 and holds the key to what happened to it.

Finally a Roger Porteous in Jersey would also be useful.

So show me you can do more than take pics then Steve.

Thanks Vern
Vern, I tried to do a quick check for you on the two guys above. There is no R Porteous listed in the BT Phonebook for Jersey whilst there are 5 J Stevens in Rotherham.

Try this link: http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publi...erham&x=19&y=4

All the best, Steve
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1811323)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rotherham

JT email sent because your PMs are full
Old 11 Jan 2007, 07:28 (Ref:1812055)   #24
Vern
Rookie

Scotland
Lasswade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
JT email sent because your PMs are full
Sorry being thick I do not understand what the problem is?

Vern
Old 11 Jan 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1812147)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Vernon, it's not your problem; it's mine! Basically it means that my Ten-Tenths allocated PM (Personal Message) box is full; I have to delete some messages before I can receive anymore! I'll try to sort it today (and then I'll delete the last 3 posts as irrelevant to this thread!).