Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 11 Mar 2013, 12:54 (Ref:3217006)   #1
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What to wear

AM looking at doing a few days this year after realising that proper racing is so staggeringly out of reach for the mere mortal costs wise.

Regarding clothing, obviously a lid is de rigeur. Are there any stipulations on clothing, do you have to wear ovies?

I realise most will wear boots and gloves, not sure thats necessary, but can you wear normal cloths?

By the way I cracked up the other day, some guy was wear all the stuff playing a sim! How do I know this, becasie he stuck it on youtube, never has that website bene so aptly named!!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 13:30 (Ref:3217025)   #2
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
AM looking at doing a few days this year after realising that proper racing is so staggeringly out of reach for the mere mortal costs wise.

Regarding clothing, obviously a lid is de rigeur. Are there any stipulations on clothing, do you have to wear ovies?

I realise most will wear boots and gloves, not sure thats necessary, but can you wear normal cloths?

By the way I cracked up the other day, some guy was wear all the stuff playing a sim! How do I know this, becasie he stuck it on youtube, never has that website bene so aptly named!!
The normal rule is that anything will do except that your arms and legs must covered ie no shorts or t shirts is a wise rule of thumb
Old 11 Mar 2013, 16:22 (Ref:3217072)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Added to that should be preferably nothing in Nylon type material,if theres a fire and you cant get out,it will burn you more than you would imagine.
Old 11 Mar 2013, 17:22 (Ref:3217094)   #4
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not pick up a proban suit from AWS? http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk
Old 11 Mar 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3217123)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have raced before and know all about nylon.

Was just checking to see what if any regs or notes there were abotu clothing.

I used a proban suite years ago, really good actually! And dirt cheap!
Old 11 Mar 2013, 20:52 (Ref:3217194)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Long sleeves, long legs as mentioned above. That and the lid is the only thing actually stipulated. Here is the only clothing 'regs' from the last track day I booked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javelin Trackdays
c) For obvious safety reasons we strongly recommend that limbs are covered whilst on circuit. Even in standard vehicles. Please make sure drivers and passengers bring appropriate attire.

d) Helmets that are fit for purpose must be worn whilst on track. Helmet Hire is available on the day @ £10 per day.
Fireproof and all that is good if you have it. I have a race suit and used to feel silly wearing it on track days, but why not if you have something. And why not a proban like those linked. Also good 'cus it protects you deckin' in your Armani. You are trying to avoid too much expense and I do think it is OTT for a track day. If you drive correctly it is very unlikely you'll end up in a fire.

I would recommend your lightest and favourite trainers, or similar. Something light that isn't going to catch on pedals or diminish feel. I find this important.

Maybe some gloves too depending on your steering wheel. Bad gloves will annoy, but good ones aren't like using them.

All these things make good birthday and Christmas presents for the track dayer! But I reckon you've thought about all this non-essential stuff.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 12:20 (Ref:3217443)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I am fairly genned up now thanks

Anyone know any decent sales sites for track day cars?

I am doing the usual ebay pistonheads and the like, but is there anything else peple might know of that they could pass on?

No real specifics, I would like something roadgoing, not modified with maybe the brakes and susp done and strip out done. And pref fwd.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 15:20 (Ref:3217523)   #8
The Shrew
Rookie

England
Cheshire
The Shrew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much are you looking to spend ?

Are you willing to strip it out etc yourself ?

Im toying with the idea of getting one myself after watching my mate do a day at Oulton last weekend.

My mate uses his daily driver however he had a little off and was a bit nervous after that, he didnt want to risk smashing it up.

Last edited by The Shrew; 12 Mar 2013 at 15:28.
Old 12 Mar 2013, 15:58 (Ref:3217535)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
www.lotrdc.com might be worth looking at for Lotus Elise race cars
Old 12 Mar 2013, 16:52 (Ref:3217549)   #10
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I look good in a Twin Set & Pearls......

Bladders...
Old 12 Mar 2013, 21:42 (Ref:3217601)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Hehe I was looking at something a bit klower budget guys!

But thansk for the links, some lovely stuff
Old 12 Mar 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3217639)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Talk to 750mc, they might have some good ideas for you
Old 12 Mar 2013, 23:34 (Ref:3217642)   #13
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Stephen

I have looked at racing already, the costs are simply too much when you look at ARDS and entry fees.

750MC would be a likely starting palce for me I could ever afford it though.

I am just looking for a smallish fwd hatch based track day car.

but I cant really afford to have two cars so am gonna have to run it with something like a scooter! Be great in the summer, but having to use thatc ar in the winter might be crummy!
Old 13 Mar 2013, 09:37 (Ref:3217731)   #14
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
Added to that should be preferably nothing in Nylon type material,if theres a fire and you cant get out,it will burn you more than you would imagine.
Today's little known fact. Nomex is a form of Nylon.

Regards

Jim

(Not saying that Terence's advice is not sound, it certainly is. Having a meltable fabric seal itself on to your skin after even a trivial lick of flame will make the surgeon's job much harder and the treatment even more painful and disfiguring.)
Old 13 Mar 2013, 12:29 (Ref:3217808)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think to be honest I need to see if I get on alright with it, if the travel sickness I have suffered in the past is an issue when driving hard! And if I can afford to run a daily driver as a track car before I start investing in expensive clothing that is perhaps unecessary!

As long as I have everything I need I am not planning on going overboard!

Need to buy a car first!
Old 14 Mar 2013, 17:47 (Ref:3218394)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Serious recommendations here without breaking the clothing bank.

Footwear - driving boots start at very low prices, a pair of karting boots are easily under forty quid, can be worn on the way there & back, are better to drive in than trainers as they have more feel (trainers tend to be air filled these days, I find them awful to drive in) and look the part without being excessive.

Gloves - for some reason I can't go on track without gloves but that's a personal thing. Don't go for the thirty quid cheapies they are pretty nasty (I know, I sell them!) but the <fifty quid entry level FIA Sparco and Sabelt which are much much better value. They are a better fit and just *nicer*! Be honest, if you can't afford the extra twenty notes you shouldn't be track day-ing!

Helmet - I'd always wear a balaclava, especially in a closed car. Nothing to do with protection as much as keeping your expensive helmet clean. When Nomex lining gets soggy from sweat it is HORRIBLE and takes ages to dry out, plus will smell for ever and a day. And if you're wearing a balaclava, why not wear an F/R one, they start at under twenty quid.

Chunder, that's getting you decently kitted out for track days without spending a fortune. If you want an overall, a polycotton one will set you back under fifty quid and is quite sensible when doing anything that involves older cars...you'll be working on them a lot, even if it is only changing wheels! Proban is of course flame retardant, and they're anywhere between eighty and 150, that won't break the bank.

There is a link to another company that sells this stuff on my profile

HTH

Max
Old 15 Mar 2013, 08:44 (Ref:3218746)   #17
Retired
Rookie

England
EGYD
Retired should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
I look good in a Twin Set & Pearls......

Bladders...
You owe me a new keyboard Bladders!! Actually, I can't get that image out of my head now. I'm glad I retired before they make it compulsary! The flesh pots of Louth will never be the same again.............
Old 15 Mar 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3218771)   #18
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
All good stuff thanks fellas

As said before, I think initially I have to see if its all gona be worth it before I start investing in gear, but if my intention is to race eventually then I will try and get stuff that I can use later on in MSA events.

But I need a car first! And they keep selling before I get chance to go and check them out!