Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Dec 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3693278)   #51
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Congratulations Shane van Gisbergen

2016 Virgin Australian Supercar Champion

What happens tomorrow, if in his enthusiastic driving, he smashes the buggery out of someone on the track, his car is kaput, and the driving infringement is worth 25 points? And mr Whincup wins again?

I know that is about as likely as (insert sarcastic reference here).... but gee how'd he feel after being proclaimed champion? I notice the commentators are calling him "provisional champion".

Bloody good recovery today, helped by the muppet who brought out the safety car.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 01:07 (Ref:3693437)   #52
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I know that is about as likely as (insert sarcastic reference here).... but gee how'd he feel after being proclaimed champion? I notice the commentators are calling him "provisional champion".
Supercars have done this in the past, when Whincup has wrapped up the title before the last round a couple of times (Winton 2012 for example), saying that he wasn't the champion yet because he could lose points at Sydney etc etc....

Yet this year Marc Marquez was proclaimed as MotoGP champion when he wrapped it up a few rounds early, Lewis Hamilton was proclaimed as champion when he won the 2015 F1 title a few rounds early, none of this "provisional" business

It's just about marketing so they can try and say the championship still comes down to Sydney....
Old 4 Dec 2016, 01:32 (Ref:3693442)   #53
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Red Bull pace is just on another level - thought SVG would have to keep fighting for the title tomorrow after his PLP, guess not.
Is it a blight on the rest of the field that a bloke who cops a drive through and was close to last on track can still run third?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 02:51 (Ref:3693459)   #54
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.

Sure, he got a free kick thanks to the safety car, but so did a few others. Given his relative pace, he would've been in the top 10 regardless.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 02:52 (Ref:3693460)   #55
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
Is it a blight on the rest of the field that a bloke who cops a drive through and was close to last on track can still run third?
Yes, and probably suggests the penalty is not harsh enough.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 03:11 (Ref:3693464)   #56
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can someone tell me what language Crompo is speaking ???
Watching the top 10 he came up with this beauty
"He is not utilising much left side positioning of the car"
Rough English translation: He's driving down the right side of the track.
Perhaps he should have modulated the steering wheel to the left ????
Old 4 Dec 2016, 03:31 (Ref:3693466)   #57
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ahhhhh Neil Crompton - becoming more irrelevant by the day
Old 4 Dec 2016, 03:31 (Ref:3693467)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Mr Monaco will be pleased...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 4 Dec 2016, 03:32 (Ref:3693468)   #59
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Old 4 Dec 2016, 03:58 (Ref:3693469)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 4 Dec 2016, 04:19 (Ref:3693471)   #61
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backagain View Post
Can someone tell me what language Crompo is speaking ???
Watching the top 10 he came up with this beauty
"He is not utilising much left side positioning of the car"
Rough English translation: He's driving down the right side of the track.
Perhaps he should have modulated the steering wheel to the left ????
How dare he have an education and put it to good use?!
Old 4 Dec 2016, 04:30 (Ref:3693476)   #62
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be an interesting race this afternoon. Wonder how punchy JC will be at the start?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 04:30 (Ref:3693477)   #63
Backagain
Racer

Backagain has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
How dare he have an education and put it to good use?!
Oh, silly me, I forgot he had a masters in gobbledigook.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 04:35 (Ref:3693478)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
It would be nice to see #2 just drive away from them...
Old 4 Dec 2016, 04:40 (Ref:3693480)   #65
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
HRT seem to perform at this track, here and Clipsal.

first pole for GT since 2012. might partially explain why they got rid of him
Old 4 Dec 2016, 04:43 (Ref:3693481)   #66
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quite possibly his last full time race so I hope he does well.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 07:08 (Ref:3693487)   #67
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
van Gisbergen announces retirement after securing his maiden championship....

Nah hang on, wrong championship.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 07:14 (Ref:3693488)   #68
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That "presentation of the championship trophy" by former V8Supercar Series winners prior to the start of the race had me a little puzzled...

AVESCO ignored anything that happened before them for the first decade of their existence.
In the past ten years (coinciding with access to the Channel 7 vault presumebly, plus the rise of the popularity in retro concepts) V8SC started to acknowledge a lot of pre-1997 happenings, culminating in the likes of the 2010 celebration of the 50 years of the ATCC at Sandown, the 50 years of the Bathurst 1000 in 2012, and this year a proper "retro round" with cars decked out in colourschemes from as far back as the 70s and 80s...

Yet today they roll out just the "Supercar" Champions since 1997....

Anyone else confused, Or can't they make up their minds??
Old 4 Dec 2016, 07:22 (Ref:3693489)   #69
Umai Naa
Veteran

It's their show, they can do as they please with it.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3693490)   #70
DV_08
Racer

Australia
Melbourne
DV_08 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richards, Bowe and Johnson would have been there. Could have covered it back through 87.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 07:34 (Ref:3693492)   #71
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
That "presentation of the championship trophy" by former V8Supercar Series winners prior to the start of the race had me a little puzzled...

AVESCO ignored anything that happened before them for the first decade of their existence.
In the past ten years (coinciding with access to the Channel 7 vault presumebly, plus the rise of the popularity in retro concepts) V8SC started to acknowledge a lot of pre-1997 happenings, culminating in the likes of the 2010 celebration of the 50 years of the ATCC at Sandown, the 50 years of the Bathurst 1000 in 2012, and this year a proper "retro round" with cars decked out in colourschemes from as far back as the 70s and 80s...

Yet today they roll out just the "Supercar" Champions since 1997....

Anyone else confused, Or can't they make up their minds??
Who did we miss seeing?

Mr Seton from '93 (won '97 too)
Mr Skaife from '94 (won '00,'01,'02 too)
Mr Bowe from '95 (he was there at-track recording his 100th pole)
Mr Lowndes from '96 (won '98,'99 too)

Was Mr Bowe present?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 09:18 (Ref:3693498)   #72
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
It's their show, they can do as they please with it.
Yes of course they can - doesnt make it right or prevent people from asking questions about it.

It is very poor that V8SC pick and choose which history they choose to acknowledge or not and promote for their own self gain.

I think it stinks but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Last edited by D.R.T.; 4 Dec 2016 at 09:30.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 09:19 (Ref:3693499)   #73
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Who did we miss seeing?

Was Mr Bowe present?
Surely DJ and Moff qualify as past ATC champs?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 09:49 (Ref:3693509)   #74
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
20 years of (V8) Supercars so I suppose it's a milestone celebration. It takes nothing away from the earlier champs but did you want them to try and get everyone who isn't dead to turn up?
Old 4 Dec 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3693529)   #75
one five five
Veteran

When it's Grand Final time does the NRL only acknowledge the Grand Final winners since 1998? Does the AFL only acknowledge the Grand Final winners since 1990?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Who did we miss seeing?

Was Mr Bowe present?
How does that fit in with Mr Crompton and others proclaiming all telecast that SVG is the first New Zealander to win the title since 1991..... yet all the viewers were told before the race in the trophy parade that the first champion was crowned in 1997.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post
20 years of (V8) Supercars so I suppose it's a milestone celebration. It takes nothing away from the earlier champs but did you want them to try and get everyone who isn't dead to turn up?
Supercars themselves were the one's celebrating "retro round" a few events back.... some consistency would be great