Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

View Poll Results: change a good thing?
The good old way 14 77.78%
The rubbish new way 4 22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jun 2004, 23:06 (Ref:1019550)   #26
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Matt, it works exactly the same now - you still have the main championship: which in the case of Combe is Ed Moore from Blakeney, Reynolds and N Jones (classes A, B, B and C respectively). You also have the separate and clearly secondary class points - which are given lower prominence definitely on clubff1600.co.uk, certainly in SOM programmed editorial. Obviously I can't speak for the other regions which may be presenting the information 'incorrectly'.
Old 28 Jun 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1019563)   #27
swift
Racer

swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
whilst there are some valid points being raised here, I think we have to be a little careful that we don't alienate those drivers who by there own admission probably wouldn't stand a chance of qualifying for the final. To imply that they should be going home after their heat if they're not good enough is I feel a little harsh. Surely, if they have paid the same entry fee shouldn't they deserve a similar amount of track time to everyone else?

At the end of the day, there are those drivers who are perfectly happy where they are in terms of their own individual performance : without being blunt with out the tortoises we don't have the hares.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 06:59 (Ref:1019742)   #28
DALY
Racer

DALY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dhart thanks for the vote of confidence. The reason for Edwina's Race only have two classes was because the main sponsor wants the spectators to understand who is winning it!

Racing is racing, the fastest car/drivers will win, the races become exciting and the standards will go upwards. If you turn up and throw it at the wall on lap one, you go home, if you race well but get beaten by quicker guys....you go home. if you are running mid race pace, you will get two races. The quickest and the slowest only get one race.

Fairness? Alienation? Look how dull one make racing can become!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1019764)   #29
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
[i]

Fairness? Alienation? Look how dull one make racing can become! [/B]
DALY are you not doing ASCAR next season!!!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1019838)   #30
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian, your correct it does work exactly the same now, but with a bit more of it.

Steve Burns does a great job in sending out the scores, but look at the scores "Overall, Class A, Class B, Class C, Class D, and Class E" and clubff1600 themselves have also mentioned things like "the class B championship is hotting up" etc etc - there is no class B championship to speak off, and by singling it out it makes it more confusing - certainly not calling clubff1600 as I do it too when talking to people, the comentators (go knows they are bad enough at combe) mention it and make a hash of it, in reality there is an overall championship and a class C championship. Its just more praise for the loosers well...you maybe fourth overall, but your heading class J its too much.

Well, thats what I think. No problem in making the post 90 pre 95 cars Class B, however constantly checking how class b cars compare against other class b cars thus making a virtual championship is confusing, and too much hassle
Old 29 Jun 2004, 09:48 (Ref:1019848)   #31
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's all down to the presentation really. Certainly I haven't been referring to anything other than a Pre 1987 and Post 1986 championship in the NW, and just one in the Midlands. I'll perhaps speak with Matt Beer about the way we present Combe standings.

Unfortunately, in some race programmes and on some commentaries there is undue emphasis placed on the class positions. I'll see if there is anything www.clubff1600.co.uk can do to change this.

I do believe that the class structure was set up in good faith, and there's reasonably sound reasoning behind it. Not so sure about the Pre 1982 split, but those at 1987 and 1990 followed those already taken in three of the regional championships. Equally, the 1995 one makes perfect sense too: if half a dozen Zetec conversions had come in and been a second a lap quicker than anything else and romped away, the faster 'class B' drivers might have been annoyed that they had nothing really to aim for.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 09:55 (Ref:1019853)   #32
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ian Sowman
if half a dozen Zetec conversions had come in and been a second a lap quicker than anything else
was never going to happen though Ian.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1019865)   #33
Ian Sowman
Veteran

No, and sure enough it didn't. But I guarantee that people would have moaned about it if it had (witness the number of people who narrow-mindedly don't think they should be allowed in at all).
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:45 (Ref:1019886)   #34
darcym
Veteran

Wasn't moaning at clubff1600 - I was using it to make the point, as you said race programs, commentators, press releases, clubff1600, autosport etc etc all mention class B championship points etc etc which is just a bit false and time wasting in my view.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1019891)   #35
RMR
Veteran

England
Surrey
RMR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i agree matt is all false. with daly to a certain extend to. its all about the first car past the flag. there is little difference between a vd90 and 04 in speed and it confuses the spectator no end. i think 2 class's and all ray '97 (even though it aint a zetec mod) to be banned..haha

(darcym - you get my email?)
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:03 (Ref:1019995)   #36
Barny
Racer

Barny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The "new way" was brought in to encourage a national championship, and it is that that needs to be considerd.
Having just one registration fee is a step forward to encouraging people to try different circuits and is very welcome. The class structure is realy just a side issue isn't it?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 12:21 (Ref:1020028)   #37
darcym
Veteran

the global registration championship was a stunning move, I've not had chance to exploit it, but I'm certainly trying to. The standardising of the rules too has been great, yes the class structure is a side issue. Some of the changed introduced this year have been a real step forward, some have not, but as long as we feed back things may change for the better.

RMR - checking my email now.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 13:38 (Ref:1020136)   #38
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are the three people who voted for the new way? Please tell us why then?
Old 29 Jun 2004, 14:55 (Ref:1020183)   #39
darcym
Veteran

out them....and burn them
Old 29 Jun 2004, 15:10 (Ref:1020197)   #40
Ian Sowman
Veteran

A balanced view there, Matt.

Anyway, I was thinking - we're half way through the season now and it is a good time to appraise what is good and what is not in the BRSCC regional championships and King of Kents series. This is something we will try to follow up on www.clubff1600.co.uk over the coming weeks, what with July being a relatively quiet month.

Therefore please email any comments to ian@clubff1600.co.uk and we will follow them up with the people that matter. This is a good chance to co-ordinate your views at an early stage, when things can actually be done to make changes for next year. Please be constructive, and feel free to make positive comments too! With any luck this can be a good 'use' of the website.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1020637)   #41
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about ...Class A and class B as spectators could work out who had won. As the podium now looks like its over crowded.
Old 29 Jun 2004, 22:56 (Ref:1020828)   #42
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine how crowded it would be if Hackett and Walshy got on the podium!! Sorry guys!!
Old 29 Jun 2004, 22:59 (Ref:1020832)   #43
blue nose
Veteran

blue nose should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OOOPS...Peter will as soon as he fixes his leak, Oil that is.
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1021090)   #44
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Redracer77
Imagine how crowded it would be if Hackett and Walshy got on the podium!! Sorry guys!!
It would be even funnier if RR77 even turned up nevermind got on the podium
Old 30 Jun 2004, 08:50 (Ref:1021114)   #45
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for the current class structure. Most of us voted for it before the season and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I understand that some areas don't use it - fine, it's there if wanted/needed.

I agree that the way it's being used devalues it. I think awards subject to a minimum entry and a concentration on race results solve that, as described above. It doesn't make the classes wrong - which was the poll.

I also like the post/pre 87 split in NWFF. It works well for the older cars. We get reasonable numbers of entries, good racing with competitors enjoying it and good comments from spectators and marshals. It's worked well since 1993 and I want to see it continue.
Old 10 Jul 2004, 19:44 (Ref:1032610)   #46
John Wilkinson
Rookie

John Wilkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whats wrong with the Anglesey podium? How many 'punters' does anyone believe actually looked at the photo? Probably only relatives and mates who were forced to look!! Have the tabloid press being phoning in asking for an explanation, don't thing so some how. Our class structure is easy to understand, some of the cars are older than the others, what could be easier? Touring cars have cars to British and European rules, who understands that? Sports cars, LMP, GTP, XYZ or whatever, Monoposto, up to 1200, 1600/1800, etc, etc. Both Pre87 and Post 86 races have provided good racing with battles all the way down the field. Surely the idea is to ensure club motor racing is healthy? What does a trophy cost? If it sends someone home happy because they have been lucky it might encourage them to come back. The excellent input from Swift sums it up well. For what its worth my view is leave it alone as its not broke.