Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Apr 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2168105)   #1
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Why is it that only Hatchbacks, estates and SUV's have a rear wiper?

Often wondered why you never see a rear wiper on a 4 door car or a booted 2 door, do the manufacturers think that 4 door saloon rear screens don't get dirty down a motorway or where ever, never understood this.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2168207)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Actually Al, normal booted cars don't get the rear screen that dirty. As most estates and hatches are designed with the rear screen more upright, the air turbulence behind makes the water/dirt stick to the screen and hatch. Look at the state of the rear doors on big vans.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Apr 2008, 10:05 (Ref:2168519)   #3
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As Gordon says, the airflow over a saloon doesn't get the rear window as dirty as a hatch. Having owned hatches, estates, coupes and saloons I can vouch for that.

Some markets (Japan is one) tend to offer rear wipers on saloons - presumably to help clear the sheer volume of water in monsoon type conditions?
Old 3 Apr 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2168544)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Anglia didn't need a rear screen wiper and indeed the rear screen didn't get dirty.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2168599)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
Some markets (Japan is one) tend to offer rear wipers on saloons - presumably to help clear the sheer volume of water in monsoon type conditions?
Agreed. Most of the Jap import Scubie's and Skylines are fitted std.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 3 Apr 2008, 18:16 (Ref:2168873)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I had a Carlton for 11 years and an Omega after that and many a time I wish it had one, in dirty motorway conditions they can pick up a lot of filth.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2168955)   #7
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Al. If you only washed your car once in 11 years what do you expect !

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 3 Apr 2008 at 19:54.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 22:18 (Ref:2169070)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Alright alright back to putting me engine in for Lydden!
Old 3 Apr 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2169118)   #9
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some years ago when Ford were still building the Orion the saloon version of that had a rear wiper..

Wifes Mondeo is a saloon and it really needs a rear wiper ...
Old 4 Apr 2008, 07:15 (Ref:2169255)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
I realised this morning when I hopped into my SUV for the short trip to the shop why I always missed a wiper on the Carlton and Omega, all the windows were misted up on the outside so I just stuck the front and rear wipers on, wound the electric windows up and down and we were on our way. Now I know I could have got out the car, got a leather cloth out and gone round it cleaning the windows on the outside before I set off but in this time orientated and labour saving device world of ours that three or four minutes to clean the windows is time wasted so is it too much to expect the manufactures to include this simple facility on saloon cars as well as the hatches etc I mean they stick enough other stupid useless gadgets on the things so why not something useful.

Good point about the Mondeo as the saloon is not that much different in shape than the hatch.
Old 5 Apr 2008, 04:28 (Ref:2170003)   #11
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mine has one, it was optional apparantly (jap import)

I don't use it though, as I don't like the outline of where has been wiped on the rear window, It'd look better without it...

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 5 Apr 2008, 07:32 (Ref:2170043)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Ha ha that strap line of yours Stu reminds me of the penultimate race of the season in one of the championships I run in, the guy driving a Camaro only virtually had to finish to clintch it and keep loosing the rear of the car as someone had dumped a load of oil on the grid (I know as I had a spectaclar spin across most of the field the race before) anyhow he pulled up and started checking the rear of his car as he thought he had broken something, he had'nt just traction but it cost him the championship!
Old 5 Apr 2008, 20:22 (Ref:2170637)   #13
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well my old corsa aint got one and doesnt really need it

my mums punto does and doesnt really need it

and my dads vectra estate has one and definately needs it
Old 6 Apr 2008, 11:52 (Ref:2171088)   #14
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rear wipers...my ka had one that didn't have an intermittent wipe, it was just continuous and it used to drive me up the wall...new fiesta only has an intermittent wipe and that annoys me too...why don't you get the options as you do with the front wipers?
Old 6 Apr 2008, 13:18 (Ref:2171198)   #15
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
The Anglia didn't need a rear screen wiper and indeed the rear screen didn't get dirty.
Yeah, but the screen was angled wrong!

If I recall did the old Ford Orion have a rear wiper at one time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
....why don't you get the options as you do with the front wipers?
Chez, my Furby wipes 3 times then goes to intermitant
Old 6 Apr 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2171408)   #16
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
but I didn't want intermittent at that point, I wanted constant wipe...but you don't get that on the fiesta, but never mind!
Old 7 Apr 2008, 06:58 (Ref:2171929)   #17
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase

If I recall did the old Ford Orion have a rear wiper at one time?
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackx
Some years ago when Ford were still building the Orion the saloon version of that had a rear wiper....
Old 15 Apr 2008, 23:14 (Ref:2178449)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jase
Chez, my Furby wipes 3 times then goes to intermitant
That must be really annoying. Intermittent would be so much better.
Old 18 Apr 2008, 08:43 (Ref:2180461)   #19
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can't believe this has gone to 2 pages!
Old 26 May 2008, 15:44 (Ref:2212303)   #20
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The MINI Cooper S JCW GP doesn't have a rear wiper.

Tom.
Old 26 May 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2212320)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sad.
Old 26 May 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2212432)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Why?
Old 26 May 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2212540)   #23
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 26 May 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2212552)   #24
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebottle
Can't believe this has gone to 2 pages!
And nobody has even made a joke about wiping their rear!
Old 5 Jun 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2220562)   #25
phansa88
Racer

England
gravesend
phansa88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just to say some of the peugeot have had rear wipers on saloons
trust the french