Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 7 May 2007, 19:39 (Ref:1908528)   #51
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
One thing that struck me was how deceptive the speed is. Everytime I looked down at the speedo I had to double-take.
That I can really relate to! To make it worse for me, the one I was on had the speedo set up for mph, and you know that here we're in kph--so numerous times I would look down and see a given number, and then do the "double-take" and do the instant translation and go "oops"....

I can't imagine how it must be like on a Hayabusa or something else zonkers like that.

its fun that you got to ride one though, I agree, the engine sounds are so different than fours that its a real delight (though like I said, the things a wrist killer).

safe riding
Old 7 May 2007, 20:14 (Ref:1908558)   #52
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
(though like I said, the things a wrist killer)
Not sure I agree. I know it was a short ride, but it didn't feel any more stretched or cramped in comparison to my CBR. Most sportbikes these days are pretty similar. Although, they are trending back to something a bit more comfortable than what they have been the past five years.
Old 8 May 2007, 00:27 (Ref:1908702)   #53
JerH77
Racer

Germany
Bayonne, New Jersey
JerH77 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No I dont have a motorbike Chatters.
Old 8 May 2007, 01:07 (Ref:1908709)   #54
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Not sure I agree. I know it was a short ride, but it didn't feel any more stretched or cramped in comparison to my CBR. Most sportbikes these days are pretty similar. Although, they are trending back to something a bit more comfortable than what they have been the past five years.
what can I say, I'm an old fart with old geezer joints....

in my defense, the first hour or so on the bike was in stop and go traffic, in city and on the highway, a real pain frankly and probably the worst sort of driving for a sport bike, especially given that the bike was new to me--clutch grab point, v-twin torque, all that, plus the fact that I don't ride much now so it took a little while to get used to the bike and to get things smooth.

Interesting that you noted the trend of moderating seating positions, are they really scaling it back a bit? I haven't sat on newish bikes for a while. A friend has a Gixxer 750, 2001 I think, and its riding position isn't too much, a bit more agressive than my sister-in-laws '97 CBR 600 bar/peg placement-which I find to be a pretty good example of a really nice happy medium for all around riding, commuting slog to fast stuff in the corners to comfortable highway cruising at legalish speeds.

Don't know if you've ever ridden a cruiser, but I never ever got why people like them. I've only been on a few, but it just feels weird and I don't like feeling far away and isolated from what the front end is doing, even for everyday commutiing where an emergency situation pops up in front of you or mid corner. I want to know exactly what my front is doing if I'm throwing out the anchors...
Old 8 May 2007, 01:56 (Ref:1908727)   #55
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
Interesting that you noted the trend of moderating seating positions, are they really scaling it back a bit? I haven't sat on newish bikes for a while. A friend has a Gixxer 750, 2001 I think, and its riding position isn't too much, a bit more agressive than my sister-in-laws '97 CBR 600 bar/peg placement-which I find to be a pretty good example of a really nice happy medium for all around riding, commuting slog to fast stuff in the corners to comfortable highway cruising at legalish speeds.

Don't know if you've ever ridden a cruiser, but I never ever got why people like them. I've only been on a few, but it just feels weird and I don't like feeling far away and isolated from what the front end is doing, even for everyday commutiing where an emergency situation pops up in front of you or mid corner. I want to know exactly what my front is doing if I'm throwing out the anchors...
Well the new CBR600RR (redesign) is supposedly very comfortable. I like the feel of my cousin's R1 as well. I mean it's not like sitting in your easy chair, but the new sportbikes aren't all bad.

Never riden a cruiser. But I read a summary once of a guy that owns both a sportbike and a cruiser. He said while the seating position was nicer on longer rides, the fact that you sit more upright on the cruiser meant the spine took a bit more shock. Not sure how true that is though.
Old 8 May 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1908985)   #56
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Right! It's not always good and well with us bikers. My brother has/had a Yamaha R1. He fell and wrecked it. This was on my birthday as well, which was pretty much ruined as he had to go to hospital. This was last Wednesday. He has a brain bruising (literally translated from Dutch) and broken his collarbone, which is a bit worse than a concussion. I just had the news that he's allowed to leave the hospital today.

He doesn't know what happened ofcourse. Everybody said he wasn't going fast, so we think he had cold tyres. He had a highsider. The complete fearing has gone, so has the speedo and the left clip on and footpeg. The seat also needs replacing. I dont know if the exhausts under the seat are still well...
Old 8 May 2007, 15:03 (Ref:1909069)   #57
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Right! It's not always good and well with us bikers. My brother has/had a Yamaha R1. He fell and wrecked it. This was on my birthday as well, which was pretty much ruined as he had to go to hospital. This was last Wednesday. He has a brain bruising (literally translated from Dutch) and broken his collarbone, which is a bit worse than a concussion. I just had the news that he's allowed to leave the hospital today.

He doesn't know what happened ofcourse. Everybody said he wasn't going fast, so we think he had cold tyres. He had a highsider. The complete fearing has gone, so has the speedo and the left clip on and footpeg. The seat also needs replacing. I dont know if the exhausts under the seat are still well...
Sorry to hear that Gerben. Glad he's out of the hospital. Cold tires? Either way, must have been going pretty fast? Liter bikes can bite you pretty fast.
Old 8 May 2007, 17:59 (Ref:1909209)   #58
djb
Veteran

first of all Gerben, all the best with your brothers head injury, and that he has no ill effects, the bike bits can be easily replaced.

Quote:
the fact that you sit more upright on the cruiser meant the spine took a bit more shock. Not sure how true that is though.
when I started getting into bikes in the late 70's, my dream bike was the BMW RS1000, a sport tourer with a (then) very sexy fairing not seen on other production bikes. Beemer always understood proper seating position for fast, safe riding--ie, proper distribution of weight between the hands, the bum and the feet, (with wind speed taken into account).

With cruisers tending to have your hands up too much, and the pegs more forward, this automatically puts more of your weight more on yur tush, and therefore your spine. I'm sure as with sport bikes, stating "cruiser" is a blanket statement, with varying degress of chassis, engine vibration and suspension/seat factors coming into play, but overall, having your feet more forward along with higher bars just can't get around putting more of the weight in the direction of ones bottom. I'm sure Prep H are happy people who don't know better buy cruisers cuz they look comffy...
Old 13 May 2007, 19:31 (Ref:1912554)   #59
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi having read all of the above i thought i would add that i ride a 2000 blade and have done pretty much every day to work for the past 4 years ,coz its the only way to travel here in the south of england what with traffic and traffic lights. it goes like stink which makes the race car seem a little slow at times.
Old 14 May 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1912780)   #60
djb
Veteran

just found a site with a odd mix of bike sounds, was surprised to find sounds from my teenagerhood of being on two-strokes:

a single two-stroke enduro (this is a 100cc, I had a Kawasaki 175 but it has the same sloppy piston sound, takes me back to being 17...)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Sound...ound%20clip.au

Yammy RD 350LC (says its a 1980, which was the last year of the aircooled ones, the luiquid cooled ones came out in '81--anyway,sounds close enough)

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Sound...und%20clip.wav

for those old enough, check out the '79 Honda CBX six cylinder--it was a beautiful and techno snazzy bike at the time, nice sound too.

and even a '74 GT750 triple two-stroker,

wish they had a KH400 (triple aircooled two stroker, a real screamer)

plus they have newer stuff....
Old 8 Jun 2007, 08:03 (Ref:1931984)   #61
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
In South Australia you need to be 16 to get your motorbike Learner's Permit. I'm over 16, I just haven't got my L's yet. I know pretty much all that I have to know right now it's just a matter of convincing my parents that I can ride a bike safely! It helps that my dad's a Ridersafe instructor too. Ridersafe is the program anyone in NSW or SA wanting to get the bike L's has to go through and pass. I've seen most of the stuff they do, and I've been practicing on some of the bikes there so I don't think I'll have any trouble passing the test.

As for what bike, we have seriously been looking at getting a Suzuki GS500 for me... Not blindingly fast, but not slow, good all round capabilities.
Lucky you have understanding parents. Mine said if i come home with a motor bike i've bought, i should start packing my bags and leaving.

Do you remember what the cost is for the license here? I was thinking about a truck license, which will make me money, but a bike license to waste money seems to have a much better fun factor
Old 8 Jun 2007, 10:38 (Ref:1932126)   #62
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just found this thread and reading it is interesting.

I have a 1996 GSX-R 750 I have had since new, I think it is one of the best bikes ever, I have replaced the battery and one light globe in ten years. When I have pulled it apart, more to fiddle than fix anything, everything is simple and easy to work on. Like it was designed to make quick changes. I have had 13 bikes in the past 20 years and most were pigs to work on.

I also have a Suzuki Bandit, great bike, it has power down low and runs out of puff just when the GSX-R gets going, but both make the same 120 bhp.

I have a 250 Ducati in pieces that I want to sell soon and a road race sidecar with a CBR 1000 engine.

Jeff
Old 9 Jun 2007, 02:04 (Ref:1932827)   #63
djb
Veteran

I would bet that you are the only one with a sidecar, especially a race jobee, pretty neat, but watching sidecar racing always evoked an odd response from me. It is such a unique riding/driving experience seen from the outside as only a two wheeler, and the acrobatics required from the human ballast hiking out here and there quite frankly boggles the mind and I have always wondered how on earth someone gets started doing that, it must not be easy finding a partner for racing--I have no problem hoofing it on two wheels, but really can't imagine doing the sidecar co-pilot thing, really really can't. These guys are a rare breed and hats off to them. I guess a big part is finding it hard to imagine racing around a corner and having to be so realistically dependant on your partners movements to determine how you go around the corner, its even a step up from a rally navigator making or breaking a rally section run, except here your skin really is on the line.

quite simply I find the whole thing rather scarey.

anyway, a rather eclectic mix of machinery, very neat.

cheers
Old 9 Jun 2007, 08:42 (Ref:1932981)   #64
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY
Do you remember what the cost is for the license here? I was thinking about a truck license, which will make me money, but a bike license to waste money seems to have a much better fun factor
Level 1 Ridersafe Course is $305.00. I'll PM you in a bit about it.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 9 Jun 2007, 16:47 (Ref:1933247)   #65
kingfloopy
Veteran

United States
Iowa, USA
kingfloopy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm getting closer to buying a bike now that I've got a real job. I'd probably end up with a dirt bike (or at least dual purpose) though instead of a road bike.

J.D.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 03:24 (Ref:1934610)   #66
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfloopy
I'd probably end up with a dirt bike (or at least dual purpose) though instead of a road bike.
What would you like to know?????
Old 26 Jun 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1946861)   #67
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
What would you like to know?????
Because, well Slippy Diff knows the answer!

I looked into the Suzuki you mentioned, very handy looking bike.

Jeff 8...nice collection!
Old 16 Jul 2007, 03:45 (Ref:1964048)   #68
djb
Veteran

thought I'd pop this in. A friend recently got a 2007 Gixxer 1000. Seriously nasty looking bike, business-wise I mean. He put some really cool aftermarket rear pipes that replace the single unit that comes after the catalytic converter, and gives it a goose-pimpley growl.

The bike's party trick....he tells me shifting from 5th to 6th at redline is at 298km/h-----yowser. Even given a whack of speedo exaggeration, the fact that it continues to accelerate in 6th means it must be over 300, scarey.(digital speedo tops out at 299 btw)

other party trick--3 step electronic power settings, soft, med and full-on. I think real world rear brake hp is something like 160, low-power setting is around 100hp I think he said the manual states (I'm not sure of the numbers), but neat how one call dial down the power delivery.

wild bike, but it is still disconcerting thinking of the speed potential.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 03:48 (Ref:1964049)   #69
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
thought I'd pop this in. A friend recently got a 2007 Gixxer 1000. Seriously nasty looking bike, business-wise I mean. He put some really cool aftermarket rear pipes that replace the single unit that comes after the catalytic converter, and gives it a goose-pimpley growl.

The bike's party trick....he tells me shifting from 5th to 6th at redline is at 298km/h-----yowser. Even given a whack of speedo exaggeration, the fact that it continues to accelerate in 6th means it must be over 300, scarey.(digital speedo tops out at 299 btw)

other party trick--3 step electronic power settings, soft, med and full-on. I think real world rear brake hp is something like 160, low-power setting is around 100hp I think he said the manual states (I'm not sure of the numbers), but neat how one call dial down the power delivery.

wild bike, but it is still disconcerting thinking of the speed potential.
Ask him what it tops out at in 1st gear...
Old 17 Jul 2007, 00:03 (Ref:1965277)   #70
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I didn't like the looks of them at first, but they grew on me a bit. Present day liter bikes are crazy fast. The only redeeming quality is the linear power band, which makes for a friendly street bike. Well, as long as you don't have a slip of the wrist.

djb, I found a 2004 RC51 for sale with a healthly list of mods already done. If they can come down on the price, I may pull the trigger. Just a cool bike.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 15:25 (Ref:1966622)   #71
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb
I dont know if it has something to do with you being in North America and me in Europe, but over here the K7 (thus from 2007) comes with two pipes, not one. The 2006 version had one exhaust.

What pipes did he put on his bike? yoshimura?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1966629)   #72
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Yes the K7 1000 comes with two pipes over here as well. But Yoshimura and a few others make a single-side exhaust for it. In fact, the AMA Yoshimura team runs a single-sided exhaust, which is allowed by the rules oddly enough.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 16:12 (Ref:1966656)   #73
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Yes the K7 1000 comes with two pipes over here as well. But Yoshimura and a few others make a single-side exhaust for it. In fact, the AMA Yoshimura team runs a single-sided exhaust, which is allowed by the rules oddly enough.
That is a weird indeed. In wsbk you have to ride with the same amount of exhaust pipes as the road bikes. I know Yamaha sometimes ride with two pipes but using only one.

Kind of offtopic this...
Old 18 Jul 2007, 17:53 (Ref:1966720)   #74
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Hey, it's bike related... Btw, AMA's proposed rules for '09 will mandate the same number of exhaust pipes as the stock bike.

Back on topic, now that I'm totally hooked on bikes I'm looking for something new to replace my CBR, which I bought used. It sure is tough to pick something though!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1966879)   #75
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
It sure is tough to pick something though!
ZX6R.