Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 31 May 2007, 18:52 (Ref:1925596)   #1
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Green road cars!

Ok people, get your thinking caps on.

I am doing a project for uni, designing a 100% green car, I need to do some user research, finding the views of people that own green cars such as the GWiz or a Prius etc and also people that are strongly against it, I am in the middle somewhere, I think green transport is a good thing but I am not in favour of banning petrol cars and obviously against motorsport being banned like some Greens want!

Anyway, please feel free to comment about the pros n cons and what-have-yous on the subject of Green cars and why you have or haven't considered buying 1.

Thanks

Richard
Old 31 May 2007, 18:56 (Ref:1925598)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Green cars can be wonderful if done properly. For instance, british racing green has been done to fine effect on old competition cars of the 50's, 60's etc....

However, it can also be done extremely badly. Look at Jaguar in F1. That wasn't a good green. That was an abomination.

The car must also suit green. A green Prius would be daft for instance. But a green Aston Martin? Now you're talking!

*re-reads thread*

Whoops, I have the wrong end of the stick it seems.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:15 (Ref:1925608)   #3
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
This would be more suited for the Road Car forum.
Edited; and there it is

Last edited by Tim Falce; 31 May 2007 at 19:19.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:21 (Ref:1925610)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's in the Roadcar Forum.

And Knowlesy, I concur.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1925615)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
And Knowlesy, I concur.
So do I - I drive a green car (Arctic Green, to give it its official name!)........but not that green, as it's more a greeny silver.

Ask a serious question on ten-tenths?
Old 31 May 2007, 19:53 (Ref:1925631)   #6
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Come on Gents! I am trying to get the 2 extremes of the market, hippys to hardcore gas guzzling racing car drivers.
Old 31 May 2007, 19:57 (Ref:1925635)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Come on Gents! I am trying to get the 2 extremes of the market, hippys to hardcore gas guzzling racing car drivers.
You won't find hippies or greenies in here I'm afraid. They are bobbing about on a raft somewhere, shouting at oil rigs.
Old 31 May 2007, 20:15 (Ref:1925644)   #8
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Thats why I am asking for the gas guzzling race car drivers here to comment!
Old 31 May 2007, 20:22 (Ref:1925649)   #9
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
You won't find hippies or greenies in here I'm afraid. They are bobbing about on a raft somewhere, shouting at oil rigs.
Oi, I'm a hippy.............man.

Quote:
Thats why I am asking for the gas guzzling race car drivers here to comment!
I thought you and your dad both drive gas guzzling race cars.
Now, what was the question?
Old 31 May 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1925665)   #10
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I had a "green" Anglia van that I used to run on paraffin when I was an apprentice earning ten quid a week living in a hole in the road
Old 31 May 2007, 21:15 (Ref:1925676)   #11
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
I thought you and your dad both drive gas guzzling race cars.
Yes, we do but I am not designing for myself or my Dad because the gas guzzlers in our family are for neccessity!
Old 31 May 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1925737)   #12
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you want a 100% green car?, down to B & Q get a few tins of hammerrite or dulux and you are done my friend.

if you want a 100% greenie car, (puts on greenie voice and what he can get closest to the greenie mentalism) build it out of quickly renewable leave's, mother nature thou not heal herself, power it on your own waste and exrecions, therefore it is now completely renewably powered, and an engine that is powered by magic or voodoo.

there you go, you have my suggestion, 2 big tins of hammerrite or dulux and your gravy
Old 31 May 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1925739)   #13
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
good and thats were they can stay, and then i hope accidentaly a very large oiltanker smashe's the raft to tiny bit's
Old 31 May 2007, 22:22 (Ref:1925740)   #14
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I am doing a project for uni, designing a 100% green car,
Impossible. Go to the uni bar and get hammered instead.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:25 (Ref:1925744)   #15
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippy Diff
Impossible. Go to the uni bar and get hammered instead.
maybe he is in "the desert" as it is called, a dry uni, no alcohol whatsoever, if i went to a uni like that i would be pretty annoyed to say the least!
Old 31 May 2007, 22:26 (Ref:1925747)   #16
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
I am on top of it dj, I just need people to comment on why they don't buy greener cars, this is to finish my MA, my 1st degree final project I designed a big 5 litre sports prototype which was 0% green, this is to get me a job not a penis extension! Been there done that, that didn't get me very far!
Old 31 May 2007, 22:29 (Ref:1925749)   #17
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Yahbut there's no such thing as a 100% green car.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1925754)   #18
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
I have done research and the technology is there. I have seen in a niche in the market that no one has exploited. I can't say anymore about my design I am afraid! I'd have to kill you or cut off your hands and tongue.

Enough talk about my design, more about the current green cars.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:38 (Ref:1925759)   #19
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
100% green!! I'd love to know what technology is there that will enable a manufacturer to build a 100% green (and by that I presume you mean no damage to or use of, natural resources) car.

In the meantime, read this
Old 31 May 2007, 22:45 (Ref:1925763)   #20
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
The car will use a technology that has been developed to produce no emissions, the construction/building of the car may create some emissions but will be offset by the materials that the car will be produced from. I will release it to the press if my tutors allow me to do it! From my research there doesn't seem to be a problem with it being sustainable and green.

PS I have seen the Hummer vs Prius article, thanks

I need some user evidence from people not what the press says.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:53 (Ref:1925768)   #21
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
The car will use a technology that has been developed to produce no emissions, the construction/building of the car may create some emissions but will be offset by the materials that the car will be produced from. I will release it to the press if my tutors allow me to do it! From my research there doesn't seem to be a problem with it being sustainable and green.

PS I have seen the Hummer vs Prius article, thanks

I need some user evidence from people not what the press says.
It's not all about the car's emissions and sustainability. There's more to a car being 100% green. What about the power needed to run the factory, the fuel used by the trucks to deliver the materials etc etc etc. If you have some wondrous new technology, I'd be approaching the automotive giants, not your tutors or the press, there could be a bit of cash in it for you. Even Fred Flintstone's motor wasn't green, he had to chop down a number of trees to build it.
Old 31 May 2007, 22:57 (Ref:1925770)   #22
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Slippy diff, you are getting me but I have a system that will cut all these problems that you have flagged up, I have thought about it but it is really getting close to telling you too much, I'd rather keep my cards close to my chest until the right time.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:04 (Ref:1925773)   #23
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Slippy diff, you are getting me but I have a system that will cut all these problems that you have flagged up, I have thought about it but it is really getting close to telling you too much, I'd rather keep my cards close to my chest until the right time.
I'm not getting at you at all. What I'm getting at is, there is no such thing as a 100% green car. I don't believe that any transport system can be 100% green, apart from your own two legs. I tell you what, if you DO have a way of manufacturing a car using no natural resources and being completely sustainable and providing real world usage, I'll pay you NZ$250,000 for it. I will however need to see what you have first and have one or two people go over your facts and processes.
Old 31 May 2007, 23:25 (Ref:1925780)   #24
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
OK, I am that confident in my own design, I will need to do alot more work on it before hand. The project is still in the incubation stage, the hand-in is in september, when it is marked I will release it to the press and see who is interested, I'd rather own the rights and sell the manufacturing rights to 2nd parties than to a major manufacturer. Its my wee baby!
Old 31 May 2007, 23:43 (Ref:1925782)   #25
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
OK, I am that confident in my own design, I will need to do alot more work on it before hand. The project is still in the incubation stage, the hand-in is in september, when it is marked I will release it to the press and see who is interested, I'd rather own the rights and sell the manufacturing rights to 2nd parties than to a major manufacturer. Its my wee baby!
Good luck to you, a 100% green car (in all ways) is an exciting prospect but I ain't holding my breath. Let us know how it goes.