Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 22 Mar 2005, 23:45 (Ref:1259326)   #1
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A1 Grand Prix: Will F1 drivers be interested?

Hey everyone just got done reading all about A1 at there site (http://www.a1gp.com/home.html) and the series sounds awsome and has a really unique and fun idea behind it that reminds me of World Cup Soccer or the Olympics only for Racing. This could be huge and capture the attention of the world as the two i mentioned before. Were talking 23 diffrent countries running teams with only one Driver to concentrate there full attention to, all racing with the same engines and chassies it will be one if not thee ultimate driver's championship.

Feel free to answer the question below if you are fan of Cart or IRL but what im asking F1 fans is do you think that F1 drivers will take part in racing in A1 since it wont interfere with them racing in the championship for F1 or will the teams who have them under contract be against it because they want them for testing. I know read some where the Jaun Pablo Montoya would consider racing in the series. Anyway let me know what you think.

The specs of the cars are at the site so I wont go into detail but it sounds like a fun interesting idea the only thing I have to say is with Races in Canda, Mexico, and the USA and the series taking place after IRL, CART, NassCar, and F1 are over with, could this blow up and really be succesful and take away fans from IRL and CART killing the both series if they dont find a way to intrigue fans again like before the split. I do not know if A1 will be racing on any Ovals but I would not be surprized if they have one or two on there list by the time they get under full swing. Maybe the race here in the United States will be an Oval. Although from what I can see is that this looks to be more of a Street Circuit and Road Course type of series which could mean more trouble for CART who already is trying to be to much like F1 and not being succesful at it. This may force them out of Australia, and any other race tracks out of North America and force them to revert back to North American Racing league only.

In other words I think this new A1 will become the second leading watched open wheel racing league Sport and the need for IRL & Cart to merge may become even more import for both Survive, or IRL and open wheel Oval racing will become the number 1 in America for open wheel racing and cause CART to go out of business. Because what would be the point of Cart when you have A1? Then again maybe im wrong and people will still watch Cart to watch them race on Street Circuits and Road Courses in North America and everything will go on as it has since 1996. Let me know on your thoughts guys.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:25 (Ref:1259357)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They won't take part. The days of F1 drivers racing in another series are long gone (apart form special one off events). They have to be committed to F1 now. They test too much and debrief too much. Even when they do get free time do another event they might want to spend time with their loved ones. On top of all that are the contracts they have signed - there is no point in spending a few million on a driver if he goes and breaks his leg in an A1 race or (more realistically) spends some time concentrating on a different series.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:31 (Ref:1259361)   #3
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with Adam. No chance of an F1 driver taking part, due to contractual obligations. Michael apparently even gets in trouble for playing friendly games of football on the side, a relatively low risk activity.

Former F1 drivers are a possibility, however
Old 23 Mar 2005, 00:43 (Ref:1259373)   #4
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV to drive for Canada?

Who would rather have race for Canada Jack Villenuve or Paul Tracey? Me my vote goes for Paul lol he actully has been successful in the last 3 years.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1259403)   #5
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you make valid points about the relevance of Champ Cars (and even IRL) once A1 starts up. However since this is the F1 Forum I'll leave that topic be for now...

F1 drivers won't race, but those wantin to get in (or back in) could do. Teams may even say to an A1 team, "We have this great driver - we will give you money to run him for a year." Guess it just depends on what curcuits they use and how good a learning series it becomes...
Old 23 Mar 2005, 03:15 (Ref:1259414)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpunk75
Who would rather have race for Canada Jack Villenuve or Paul Tracey? Me my vote goes for Paul lol he actully has been successful in the last 3 years.
Motion carried
Old 23 Mar 2005, 03:41 (Ref:1259424)   #7
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it has the potential to be a good series i can't see current F1 drivers entering but I think we'll see plenty of former & future F1 drivers in it.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 04:14 (Ref:1259427)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I think Baumgartner should drive for Hungary...
Old 23 Mar 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1259475)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It won't affect IRL or F1 negatively.

This is a winter series.

I'll welcome it as it will be good to have single seater racing in the traditional off-season.

It may also bring new fans to the sport, which must be a good thing.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 12:43 (Ref:1259720)   #10
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think sky tv have the broadcasting rights to this new race series which is great news....we will see some proper live coverage. Its really sounds a great championship and from day one I thought this makes so much since
Old 23 Mar 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1259722)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

Sky Sports will show every round live.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1259797)   #12
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
This is a winter series.

I'll welcome it as it will be good to have single seater racing in the traditional off-season.

It may also bring new fans to the sport, which must be a good thing.
My thoughts exactly.
I've been very excited at the prospect of A1 since it's conception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Sky Sports will show every round live.
D'oh, well I guess I wont be seeing it then.
What ever happened to Free TV.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1259876)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven
What ever happened to Free TV.
No one paid for it!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 16:55 (Ref:1259918)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...2&page=1&pp=15

There is a specific thread about A1 GP in National & International Single Seater Forum. I see this thread is concerned with the influence A1GP will have on F1. Frankly I doubt we'll se much, but lets see what people think up.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 18:03 (Ref:1260009)   #15
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well... impact on F1. Consider: which F1 team generates the most enthusiasms? Ferrari - partly cos of their road cars, and partly because Ferrari *is* Italy. (I know not all tifosi are Italians, but bear with me.) None of the other F1 teams generate the same level of support - and I think that's partly because none of the other F1 teams appeals to people's sense of national pride - McLaren and Williams are British teams with German backing and Minardi are a British- and Italian-based, Australian-owned, Italian team with British/American engines and Japanese tyres - you catch my drift?

When A1GP kicks off, and you have a British driver in a British team's car or a frenchman in a french team or whatever, that has to appeal to that most basic instinct of sporting support - patriotism, and that's bound to grip people's attention more than the mish-mash that is F1.

With F1 being so ridiculously over-complicated, and with it's organisers (for want of a better word) randomly trying out a load of frankly ludicrous ideas in an attempt to maintain a "spectacle", and with most of the teams unable to really secure a cohort of diehard fans, the kind of racing that A1GP will offer - with standard Lola chassis and standard Zytek engines and standard (er, something) tyres really pitting drivers against each other in a way that F1 conspicuously fails to do - then I think you get something that could make F1 look a little bit silly.

So what effect could it have on F1? Firstly, if it looks like it could attract more viewers (or a more attractive international spread of viewers), then it could attract sponsorship away from F1. Given A1GP's predominantly "southern-hemisphere" approach, and the recent entry into F1 of big bucks from the Middle-East and SE Asia, there is potentially a serious financial impact on the predominantly European F1. Secondly, if it proves to be the series that best pits driver against driver, then each nation's No 1 driver will surely want to compete in it, especially if they start to think all patriotically. If drivers start to think "Well, so long as TGF is here, I'm never going to realistically win F1, but I could win A1GP..." then that is what they'll do - and then it follows that the F1 grid will fill with all the nations' No 2 drivers. And what kind of entertainment will that be?

But that's just my opinion.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1260015)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Possibly.

I still think the winter series status of it is the big thing.

It will complement rather than compete with F1.
Old 23 Mar 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1260020)   #17
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
The sponsorship pie being more thinly sliced is the most likley effect it will have on F1 I'd say.
I dont think that Drivers would defect from F1 to A1 , I could see them finishing there carrer there or perhaps using it as a steping stone on the way up.
Cooper are doing the Tyers, (Avon are a Cooper brand I believe)
Old 23 Mar 2005, 22:01 (Ref:1260223)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could do quite well in America I think, simply because we'll finally have something to root for on the international racing stage.

For many reasons, F1 has a difficult time here, mainly time differences, and no American drivers or teams to get behind. It's alot to ask of American fans to get up at ridiculously early hours, or stay up all night to watch a series like F1, where we have almost no real interest. A1 could change that. With the right driver, like a Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Buddy Rice, or a Sam Hornish, there could be real interest from American fans for that, and we would finally have a real reason to watch. That could prove troublesome for the growth of F1 here...

Last edited by GP Racer; 23 Mar 2005 at 22:03.

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Mar 2005, 02:58 (Ref:1260357)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
No one paid for it!

Old 24 Mar 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1260449)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Racer
That could prove troublesome for the growth of F1 here...

It could actually help the growth of F1 there.

New viewers in the USA may watch A1 in the winter and think "I must have a look at what this F1 is about in the summer".
Old 24 Mar 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1260599)   #21
ausracefan
Rookie

Australia
Frankston
ausracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of the A1GP. It will give me something to watch besides the aussies creamin everyone in the cricket. I would like to see them update the website with stuff other than news though.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1260603)   #22
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
I wouldnt be surprised if some one uses this opertunity to have a Popstars style TV contest for there national driver selection. Marketing mans dream in alot of ways.
It wouldnt have to be just average joes, use whatever 6 or so professional drivers they might have on the shortlist.
Just record the selection process ,add bit of flashy TV production throw in a couple of Gimickey shootouts/challenges make it out that 2 of the drivers dont like each other, and hey presto more people interested in Car racing.

Goes against my grain, and I dont like all that sort of rubish, but If A1 does grab non motorsports fans attention because of the national angle I dont mind if they milk it a bit. More people interested in any motorsport the better it is for me.
Old 25 Mar 2005, 03:05 (Ref:1261238)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I like the idea of a winter series..The only problem and please correct me if you think I am wrong. IRL and Champ car, room for both I am not so sure?
Old 26 Mar 2005, 09:02 (Ref:1262139)   #24
Dog Faced Boy
Racer

England
Kingston upon Hull,Laaandon Essseeeeeexx
Dog Faced Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wont they all be in British cars?

It also feels slightly strange to not have 2 drivers per team. Don't get me wrong though I think a Winter series is a great idea.

Secondly, F1 is steeped in history and it would take something very drastic to stop it from being the pinnicle of Motor Sport. Drivers will alway want to compete at the pinnicle of their sport. I know if it was me I'd rather be a points finnisher in F1 than win another series.

Thirdly, I think there is a great opportunity with A1GP to become more fan and TV friendly with less of a need for secrecy and development, as they all run the same car.
Old 26 Mar 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1262289)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only current F1 drivers we might see in the first season of A1 are the current Minardi and Jordan drivers, but only if they can't renew their F1 positions. Karthikeyan would probably be keen to race for India (they certainly don't have anyone else who's even close to F1 standard right now), but Alex Schnaider probably wouldn't like it if he did, especially as no form of racing is 100% safe, adn ever sicne Jim Clark died in a meaningless F2 race most F1 guys ahve concentrated purely on F1.

I think any effects A1 has on F1 will be positive, by attracting viewers in more different countries, developing new racetracks which F1 might be able to consider in the future, and ensuring that motor racing doesn't disappear from public view for several months of the year (I know NASCAR runs 10 months of the year, but that's hardly mass-market outside the US), and bring in more sponsors.

The threads in the CART and IRL forums were closed under the idea that the series has no effect on those championships, but I'm not convinced of that. ChampCar in particularly could suffer a ittle, especially as they are increasingly looking towards the east for their drivers and circuits. New drivers could be brought to their attention, but they might have less reason to compete in ChampCars and uproot themselves to North America. The chances of real US superstars competing int eh series i quite low,a s they'd value their off-season (and the restrictions placed on them by their existing contracts) too much.