Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Jul 2002, 20:15 (Ref:336853)   #26
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, I hope Deborah doesn't let it stop her on the trail to NASCAR (or, better yet, sportscars ). I know the boys who crossed her will be visiting Didier Pironi in the afterlife...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 18 Jul 2002, 22:50 (Ref:336921)   #27
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why I'm not in favour of women driving race cars is a topic for another thread, but the short answer is that after 30 years of experience in the workplace, I have noticed that young women want to compete with men on an equal playing field as long as they remain childless ... and then they want the playing field tilted entirely in favour of their baby.
Old 18 Jul 2002, 23:36 (Ref:336942)   #28
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I firmly believe that talent, not sex or race, should dictate one's employment as race driver or any other choice of employment. I know of a female driver that absolutely loves racing and all she wants is a chance to compete on an even playing field....no favors....just the chance to compete. If she gets the chance I know that she would run in the top 10 her first FULL YEAR on the Trans Am circuit.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 00:29 (Ref:336973)   #29
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure there are lots of women who would be successful on a level playing field -- as long as they remain childless. But can a team owner afford to take the chance? [That is only my opinion, remember.] There are successful women in every walk of life -- but even in this day and age, it takes being twice as good as any available man to get noticed.

Fortunately this is generally not that difficult.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 02:48 (Ref:337026)   #30
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your opinion is respected. However, yes I believe a team owner can take the chance. Today's medical advancements makes it fairly easy for a woman to decide on being childless or not during her racing career. Trust between a driver and team owner is important.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 05:13 (Ref:337064)   #31
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry of not beeing serious here, but this is not enough for a thread, and there's a small connection with the "women" subject... so this is just for fun... and the personn seems happy...

http://www.fastdetails.com/alms/pics/DCCkFlgGrl.jpg

Coming back to the thread and beeing serious again, I just hope that that kind of situation won't extand/repeat...

and it seems that it didn't happend at LM... well, I hope... :confused:

Last edited by Fab; 19 Jul 2002 at 05:13.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 10:56 (Ref:337231)   #32
Liz
Veteran

Fab, the important thing is that the said woman takes advantage of those modern methods. It's happening in the boardrooms -- there was a panic stricken article in Time Magazine not too long ago deploring the fact that successful women over 40 were suddenly discovering that they didn't have any kids and that maybe this was a good thing.

I don't think this situation could develop in sports car racing because it is much more of a privateer type sport. People who drive in this form of racing own their own cars or are friends with the people who do, and they all work together. And anybody who is a putz is soon on the sidelines (hello, Boris Said!)

In fact, if this young woman wants a good sports car drive, considering Boris' interview on dailysportscar.com, there might be one available in Trans Am soon ...
Old 20 Jul 2002, 17:17 (Ref:338274)   #33
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Now, now, Liz....lets not pick on Boris. I do not always agrre with his outspoken and sometimes critical opinions, however, he does say what is on his mind. Some of the other TA drivers wont talk at all.

Back to Deborah, i understand that she will be interviewed on the Connie Chung CNN show sometime next week. It should be interesting to see and hear the interview.
Old 20 Jul 2002, 19:06 (Ref:338331)   #34
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
now that we have heard so much abouzt this incident involving Deborah Renshaw, could you perhaps tell us more about her career so far? I must admit I haven't heard of her before this unsavoury business. I don't follow NASCAR racing, and the series below the Winston Cup are basically impossible to follow from Europe anyway. What kind of racing has she done so far, has she done road racing, would she be inclined to give it a try?
Is she a "rising star"?
Old 20 Jul 2002, 19:49 (Ref:338346)   #35
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Only ifo I have is on her website.Seems to have done only local 'home town' oval racing.Until the day before the unfortuate incident when she made her debut in the National ARCA series. See www.arcaracing.com/
'cybersdorf' ,with the wonder of the web you CAN follow just about every obscure American series.But I have yet to find a site for local Austrian racing...
Old 20 Jul 2002, 19:56 (Ref:338349)   #36
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
'cybersdorf' ,with the wonder of the web you CAN follow just about every obscure American series.But I have yet to find a site for local Austrian racing...
http://www.tourenwagen.at - you asked for it
Really, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on her talent. Of course, her own web site will be slightly biassed in her favour
Old 20 Jul 2002, 20:11 (Ref:338354)   #37
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
I nearly forgot http://www.bergrallye.at
Old 20 Jul 2002, 20:22 (Ref:338360)   #38
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
It appears like the girl has talent. She finished 8th in her very first ARCA race. The team now intends to run 6 races this year in ARCA. Much too early to determine if she has the talent to be a "so-called-star" but she seems to have good potential. Take a look at the results of her first ARCA race.
http://www.arcaracing.com/Remax/results071202.html
Old 25 Jul 2002, 15:20 (Ref:342518)   #39
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Our local newspaper had a picture and accompanying article of the Renshaw debacle on the front page of the sports section today.

Sterling Marlin stated: "I guess the guys were mad because she was hauling down the straightaway and she'd been getting a little bit of publicity here and there and they didn't like it".

Jeff Gordon stated: "Jealously usually is the root of such protests".
Old 25 Jul 2002, 16:18 (Ref:342544)   #40
Liz
Veteran

Yes, that is very true. In fact, they tend to ram each other off the track (boys and boys) as well as girls, so perhaps they could welcome her to the club next time by putting her in the wall?

Personally, I adore Boris Said for his outspokenness, but that is off the job ... I don't think Don Panoz is going to be his new best friend after the comments he made in that interview. (No wonder Mr. P doesn't call him ... )
Old 28 Jul 2002, 11:24 (Ref:344460)   #41
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Renshaw finished in 11th place yesterday in the ARCA race at Pocono after starting in 34th in a field of 40 cars. Quite an accomplishment in ...what...only her 2nd ARCA race.
Old 31 Jul 2002, 02:30 (Ref:346840)   #42
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Talk about justice....this is hilarious!!!

http://tennessean.com/local/archives...nt_ID=20431884