Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 18 Mar 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2418076)   #201
Arty B
Racer

England
England
Arty B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedrinck View Post
And if I still wanted to try it, do you think using the camber settings they use in F3 provided I can find any data would be a good starting point? I couldn't even find out whether the Kumhos are radials.
The clue is in the size. In the main metric = radial, imperial = bias.

Be careful thinking F3 settings are generic. Take any combination of Dallara chassis model and tyre brand and compare with another and the recommended settings can vary from say -2deg to -4 deg front camber.

Best use the tried and tested method of a stopwatch and a tyre temp gauge.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 08:57 (Ref:2418078)   #202
ianpearson
Racer

ianpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark14 View Post
I know there has been some discussion about the european chip for the ECU that gives a little more power.
Does anyone know if these are available, as I can't locate one, or can the standard chip be re-programmed ?
Thanks.

http://www.johnracing.be/eng/eng_FR95-99.htm

try John Svensson he still has an ECU listed on his site, he did also have seperate chips many moons ago.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2418480)   #203
Sparky57
Rookie

Sparky57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Pearson View Post
I agree about the restrictor, I had one drop out during qualifying at Mallory a long time ago, and I didn't notice any change. The first I knew of it was when it was pointed out that it was sat in the airbox
The best hope of getting a Eurocup chip is on the continent, I don't think they were ever stopped from using them. You certainly could feel the effect of that, as far as I know it increased the ignition advance.

The Fuel map was rubbish so maybe all the gain was there, When i looked at the system I found a distributor and a coil so i reckoned there was no ECU control there except maybe chargetime. However Bob is far more experienced then me so go on what he says.
Old 18 Mar 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2418733)   #204
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the kind words, although I can vouch for being able to feel the difference between the two chips, I am only repeating what R sport told me about the ignition advance. Their info could have been wrong, and maybe the extra grunt did come from a better fuel map. The only thing I'm sure of there was extra grunt !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky57 View Post
The Fuel map was rubbish so maybe all the gain was there, When i looked at the system I found a distributor and a coil so i reckoned there was no ECU control there except maybe chargetime. However Bob is far more experienced then me so go on what he says.
Old 6 Nov 2009, 22:00 (Ref:2577318)   #205
mracing
Rookie

mracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
formula renault specs

Hi all

I'm thinking about getting a formula renault 2000
is there any real differance in the cars from 2000 to 2009 eg is the gearbox any good in the 2000 spec car and are they hard on gears what is the max torque the gearbox can take and are tires expensive
Old 8 Nov 2009, 09:09 (Ref:2578093)   #206
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mracing View Post
Hi all

I'm thinking about getting a formula renault 2000
is there any real differance in the cars from 2000 to 2009 eg is the gearbox any good in the 2000 spec car and are they hard on gears what is the max torque the gearbox can take and are tires expensive
There was a regular stream of updates through the life of the cars, but the only significant changes took place with bodywork changes in 2004 and 2007.
The gearboxes are fine, especially if you are running the BARC restrictor whch drops the engine power. We ran two cars in 2008 and broke one gear in one car very soon after we bought it. That car had run most of the previous year with its previous owner in unrestricted form and so that was probably the reason.
In my view, they are the nicest car I have ever driven as long as you are racing for fun and not aiming to win. Once you start trying to get that last bit out of the set up then the frustration begins. This is why it is so difficult to compete with the established teams in FR, they have so much knowledge of the cars.
What are you proposing to do with the car?