Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Apr 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2436174)   #26
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I think the ALMS is done with GT1.
Would they make an official ACO-class non-elegible? I don't think so. So if the ACO is indeed supporting Ratel, the idea of GT3 as a new fourth class for ALMS is most probably stillborn.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2436182)   #27
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Would they make an official ACO-class non-elegible? I don't think so. So if the ACO is indeed supporting Ratel, the idea of GT3 as a new fourth class for ALMS is most probably stillborn.
A valid point but there is a real possibility of no entries in GT1 in the ALMS if this does in fact happen? Why would the new GT1 be any more successful in North America than the current one? Ratel is possibly de-stabilizing the sportscar climate, that's why it's best if he fails IMO. Even though the cars may be nice, it's not worth the price.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2436183)   #28
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
I think the ALMS is done with GT1.
and in my opinion is all the better for it. Stop thinking as GT2 as #2 and just call it GT, what are you left with? Exciting racing based on production cars competed for by factory and privateer alike. Let's leave it as that and allow the one positive of this year's ALMS to grow with BMW and Chevrolet (and very wishfully Jaguar), not split into two again.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2436192)   #29
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The current 'rules' GT-1 is breathing its last breaths! What replaces that as the premier ACO GT class is still not been fully answered by the ACO. We know for a fact that the major mfg's do not want the Ratel proposed GT-1 replacement and would prefer it be replaced with a single class or at least be based on the current GT-2 cars. Until it is an, in writing, ACO GT class this is nothing but SRO blowing wind. He still does not even have the backing from all quarters to go ahead, which he stated in the interview, its all still in a state of speculation!

L.P.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2436193)   #30
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://fiagt.com/newsitem.php?key=1932
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:32 (Ref:2436206)   #31
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Quote:
As for the cars, the 2010 technical regulations have been drafted in collaboration with the ACO and approved by the FIA World Motor Sport Council in December, to be applied in the FIA Championships and in the ACO series. The 2010 GT1 cars can be developed by the manufacturers or independent tuners. A compromise between the cost-effective approach successfully developed with GT3, the detailed technical regulations of GT2 and the need to have distinctive cars, 2010 GT1 cars can be specifically built, an evolution of existing GT3 cars or a 2010 GT2 car with a performance kit.
So much for all speculation. Or do you imply that SRO is lying? Then why haven't we heard a dementi from the FIA or the ACO yet?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:41 (Ref:2436212)   #32
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
well, the counter to that is 'why haven't the ACO confirmed this too?'. Their silence is why there is this debate.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2436218)   #33
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
well, the counter to that is 'why haven't the ACO confirmed this too?'. Their silence is why there is this debate.
I still think, that the ACO keeping silent because they tend to make all their big announcements at the big race itself sounds more realistic then Ratel being simply a liar. FIA-PR said the full rules are suppossed to be announced in June, and I don't think this is a coincidence.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2436221)   #34
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
I can't fault your logic. I sincerely hope it's not the case but I fear very much that it's true, especially if reported by DSC too.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2436226)   #35
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IMO if your going to have a GT/Prototype hybrid, at least let them off the leash like 90's GT1's or GT500's, even if there's a risk of the class imploding after a few years.

If you aren't willing to push the boat out, retain GT2 as the top class.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2436228)   #36
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
I can't fault your logic. I sincerely hope it's not the case but I fear very much that it's true, especially if reported by DSC too.
Its reported at DSC that, that is what Ratel said.

L.P.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2436240)   #37
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
IMO if your going to have a GT/Prototype hybrid, at least let them off the leash like 90's GT1's or GT500's, even if there's a risk of the class imploding after a few years.
You can't really blame Ratel for not doing that after his experience in the 90s, can you?
And just because you can utilize a different engine doesn't mean that these cars are half-prototypes or Silhouette-racers. It would be different if tubeframe cars were allowed, but they aren't, at least that's what I understand.
Using different engines from the same manufacturer is for example also allowed in VLN and the 24hours at the Ring.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:07 (Ref:2436241)   #38
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does sound like this new freedom could push GT1 towards the mega-expensive GT cars of the late 90s and the collapsed BPR series etc.
Will the 'manufacturer ban' in FIA GT be enough to keep them away from the ACO forms of GT1?

It seems that this 2010 GT1 will be quicker than the current GT1, which with 2010+ LMP2 regs means that a GT1 car may possibly be much quicker than an LMP2. sscollins will love it, this must be getting closer to the GT cars at Le Mans that he has wanted for a while!

I'm in two minds... I guess it remains to be seen how the ACO use these rules.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:09 (Ref:2436245)   #39
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Its reported at DSC that, that is what Ratel said.
Come Mid-June, one of us is gonna eat some crow...
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2436246)   #40
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510 View Post
It does sound like this new freedom could push GT1 towards the mega-expensive GT cars of the late 90s and the collapsed BPR series etc.
Will the 'manufacturer ban' in FIA GT be enough to keep them away from the ACO forms of GT1?

It seems that this 2010 GT1 will be quicker than the current GT1, which with 2010+ LMP2 regs means that a GT1 car may possibly be much quicker than an LMP2. sscollins will love it, this must be getting closer to the GT cars at Le Mans that he has wanted for a while!

The FIA will employ the same pre-season performance balancing as in GT3, so this is by no means an open class.

Another thought: The proposed race-format sounds a lot like GT-racing for the ADD-generation and sim-racers. Maybe not a bad idea...
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2436250)   #41
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
You can't really blame Ratel for not doing that after his experience in the 90s, can you?
And just because you can utilize a different engine doesn't mean that these cars are half-prototypes or Silhouette-racers. It would be different if tubeframe cars were allowed, but they aren't, at least that's what I understand.
Using different engines from the same manufacturer is for example also allowed in VLN and the 24hours at the Ring.
If GT3's can be converted to GT1 spec, anything could be eligible.

GT3 is a performance balanced class with different power, weight, aero etc, imagine bringing that minefield into the top GT class with factory teams.

All this while GT2 is booming and GT3 could slot in as a second GT class.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2436251)   #42
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
The FIA will employ the same pre-season performance balancing as in GT3, so this is by no means an open class.
I didn't know that, thanks!
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2436252)   #43
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think it could be the opposite. If they can use whatever engine they like from their lineup, they can use the one that's easiest and cheapest to prepare.

Actually, I'm a bit puzzled about the choice of engine for the GT-R. Originally I thought they were using a V8 because they could just stick the Super GT-engine into it, saving them a lot of money. But instead it seems to be based on the VK56DE used in several Nissan 4x4 vehicles.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:17 (Ref:2436253)   #44
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
imagine bringing that minefield into the top GT class with factory teams.
:There won't be any factory teams, at least not in FIA... As for the ACO, everyone who gets into this class knows the rules, so it should come as no surprise. The random performance going on in a certain ACO-affiliated series is IMO much worse...
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2436254)   #45
zac510
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
I think it could be the opposite. If they can use whatever engine they like from their lineup, they can use the one that's easiest and cheapest to prepare.
Yes, that aspect suits the privateer developing a car (ie Matech/Ford GT) quite well. But as for Gigawave and the GT-R, they definitely have Nissan support don't they?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2436255)   #46
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:

These new GT1's are intended to be little quicker than GT2, which makes this upheaval ridiculous, hence my plea to let them off the leash.

At least we'd have a couple of exciting years before the GT World Championship implodes, taking GT2/GT3 with it!
Old 7 Apr 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2436295)   #47
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
If GT3's can be converted to GT1 spec, anything could be eligible.
So we could have the same car model in all three classes?
Old 7 Apr 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2436297)   #48
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally View Post
So we could have the same car model in all three classes?
Some, but not all.......... I believe the original intention was to have GT1 strictly for cars above 5.0l. Cars in GT2 for below 5.5l. Cars inbetween could choose.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 22:33 (Ref:2436298)   #49
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
I think you got those transposed there Foglehund.

L.P.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 22:37 (Ref:2436300)   #50
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I think you got those transposed there Foglehund.

L.P.

No, I don't think so.

Let me repeat.

GT1 > 5.0l
GT2 < 5.5l

5.0 -> 5.5 can choose between the classes.

edit... well... I'm not really sure now LOL

I find this...

Quote:
Initially we presented a formula that took the basic GT3 models and sliced them into two categories, those cars over 5.5 litres would be GT1 and those under 5.5 litres are GT2 and those between 5 and 5.5 litres could decide where they wanted to go depending on the performance of their cars.
and I find contradictions....

Hard to keep up with the loonish plans of Steve Rat.