Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Aug 2013, 09:40 (Ref:3292981)   #51
AdamSinger
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
AdamSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greg Hi , I don't now if this helps but suspect as they say in market speak am part of the “demo” , I schlep my cars around Europe, Portimao, Spa, Dijon et al. I think some of the corners on et al are some of the best....I digress... I could be intrigued by a racing sojourn in Barbados not least as the prices you quote are reasonable. Two weeks would be too long, a week would be wonderful. After the usual spring, summer and a bit of Fall involving rallies and races , finding anther two weeks to burn hydocarbons at a rapid rate would not pass muster with “mssion control” and she would be right. However if I can bring my racing kids ( who are ancient) 'mission control ' would want to come along. My children who share the cars with me could probably could get a week off but not two. There is no reason on earth why you should have to think about my issues , its just what I need to do to get there. All that said the circuit should be a proper circuit, with decent run off -I scare easily - , and it would be even better if it was February, I hate February. The other issues is what back up will be there, my son is perfectly adept at keeping us running, but normally when we attend race meets there is the support of the ever brilliant RW race services. I prefer races longer than shorter, a three hour race would get my attention. I race assorted flavour of sports car in pre 56 , pre 66, and pre 70 classes, and never do races under an hour. Feel free to ignore all this as am but one voice putting forward idiosyncratic preferences , for the sake of feed back . All the best Adam ( oh and hi Jon the 356 is lovely!)
Old 23 Aug 2013, 10:58 (Ref:3293006)   #52
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Replies in CAPS.

Two weeks would be too long, a week would be wonderful. THERE WOULD BE THE OPTION OF ATTENDING THE SECOND WEEKEND ONLY FOR THE CIRCUIT RACE. THE REASON I HAVE ALWAYS ORGANISED EVENTS OVER TWO WEEKENDS IS THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO TRAVEL ALL THIS WAY FOR A SHORT TIME.

I can bring my racing kids ( who are ancient) 'mission control ' would want to come along. My children who share the cars with me could probably could get a week off but not two. THE BARBADOS RALLY CARNIVAL HAS ALWAYS BEEN UNIQUE IN THAT REGARD, IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO PACK UP A CAR TO COME TO BARBADOS AND NOT HAVE WIFEY AND KIDS COME ALONG. EVERYONE ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAVE A GOOD TIME.

the circuit should be a proper circuit, with decent run off -I scare easily - IT WILL BE AN FIA F3 LEVEL CIRCUIT.

and it would be even better if it was February, I hate February. CAN'T DO FEBRUARY, OUR MAIN TOURIST SEASON IS DECEMBER 15TH TO APRIL, PRICES FOR EVERYTHING GET STUPID.

The other issues is what back up will be there, ONLY WHAT YOU BRING WITH YOU. THE BUILDING WHERE THE CARS WILL BE STORED WILL HAVE JACKS, HEAVY TOOLS ETC. BUT YOU'D NEED YOUR OWN SERVICE CREW AND HAND TOOLS. ALTERNATIVELY, IF THE CAR IS A MODEL KNOWN TO LOCALS I COULD HOOK YOU UP WITH A SERVICE PROVIDER.

I prefer races longer than shorter, a three hour race would get my attention. NO CAN DO, LOCAL SPECTATORS HATE RACES THAT DRAG OUT AND THEY'LL BE PAYING FOR THE REST OF US TO PLAY. I EXPECT RACES TO BE AROUND A HALF HOUR.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3293063)   #53
Middle_BBG
Racer

Middle_BBG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm......Historic racing festival, in Barbados, in November ?

Need any marshals ?
Old 23 Aug 2013, 13:31 (Ref:3293094)   #54
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
356 cheers

.....and cheap!
Old 23 Aug 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3293189)   #55
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
1/2 hour is a good distance in my humble opinion.
Old 23 Aug 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3293192)   #56
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Adam

Didn't realise that was your first post.

Welcome to the club.

Us retired lot can stir the others up when we Are at a lose end.

They don't understand Bentleys,Talbots and Altas so you are safe!
Old 24 Aug 2013, 07:28 (Ref:3293345)   #57
AdamSinger
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
AdamSinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Post & Barbados

Thank you Jon. It looks like a fun pit wall from which to view the scene.
And thank you Greg for an informative answer
Old 26 Aug 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3294167)   #58
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Oulton Park Gold Cup is taking place this weekend to packed crowds, car parks are full. Super Touring Car Trophy has been entertaining with Tim Harvey, Patrick Watts and John Cleland racing the same cars as in period, with a similar level of commitment.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3294204)   #59
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
Super Touring Car Trophy has been entertaining with Tim Harvey, Patrick Watts and John Cleland racing the same cars as in period, with a similar level of commitment.
And that's probably what will put any current owners of the cars, who would love to take part, off in the long run.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 15:30 (Ref:3294241)   #60
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was pretty busy last year without the ST Trophy. But lest we forget, it does seem to be a crowd pleaser.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3294297)   #61
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Cozier View Post
Replies in CAPS.

Two weeks would be too long, a week would be wonderful. THERE WOULD BE THE OPTION OF ATTENDING THE SECOND WEEKEND ONLY FOR THE CIRCUIT RACE. THE REASON I HAVE ALWAYS ORGANISED EVENTS OVER TWO WEEKENDS IS THAT MOST PEOPLE DON'T WANT TO TRAVEL ALL THIS WAY FOR A SHORT TIME.

I can bring my racing kids ( who are ancient) 'mission control ' would want to come along. My children who share the cars with me could probably could get a week off but not two. THE BARBADOS RALLY CARNIVAL HAS ALWAYS BEEN UNIQUE IN THAT REGARD, IT'S VERY DIFFICULT TO PACK UP A CAR TO COME TO BARBADOS AND NOT HAVE WIFEY AND KIDS COME ALONG. EVERYONE ALWAYS SEEMS TO HAVE A GOOD TIME.

the circuit should be a proper circuit, with decent run off -I scare easily - IT WILL BE AN FIA F3 LEVEL CIRCUIT.

and it would be even better if it was February, I hate February. CAN'T DO FEBRUARY, OUR MAIN TOURIST SEASON IS DECEMBER 15TH TO APRIL, PRICES FOR EVERYTHING GET STUPID.

The other issues is what back up will be there, ONLY WHAT YOU BRING WITH YOU. THE BUILDING WHERE THE CARS WILL BE STORED WILL HAVE JACKS, HEAVY TOOLS ETC. BUT YOU'D NEED YOUR OWN SERVICE CREW AND HAND TOOLS. ALTERNATIVELY, IF THE CAR IS A MODEL KNOWN TO LOCALS I COULD HOOK YOU UP WITH A SERVICE PROVIDER.

I prefer races longer than shorter, a three hour race would get my attention. NO CAN DO, LOCAL SPECTATORS HATE RACES THAT DRAG OUT AND THEY'LL BE PAYING FOR THE REST OF US TO PLAY. I EXPECT RACES TO BE AROUND A HALF HOUR.
All still sounds good to me - definitely interested
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 26 Aug 2013, 18:42 (Ref:3294322)   #62
retrognome
Racer

retrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretrognome should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
It was pretty busy last year without the ST Trophy. But lest we forget, it does seem to be a crowd pleaser.
Settled good weather and fair family pricing brings spectators out.
Old 1 Sep 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3297404)   #63
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Silverstone Festival-Something for everyone!

You are jesting.

Lots of organisers buying slots to fit there bits and pieces.

Goodwood is the only one with balance and none of this 90's stuff.
Spot onk JR, even with the Mod sports style F1 E-types.... at least they did race in period, not some of those raced elswhere suposedly raced as they were.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 07:57 (Ref:3298233)   #64
Peter Horsman
Racer

Peter Horsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just back from Zandvoort Historic Festival. 30,000 spectators last year; 45,000 this year over the three days. And, at least for the HGPCA (and probably Masters, tho' cannot speak for their competitors), all circuit admin very friendly and efficient with good access to race cars in paddock. And a terrific circuit. And no rain - mostly sun. And good beach restaurants.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 11:21 (Ref:3298280)   #65
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes and at one point I had a que of people waiting to sit in Compte's Volpini. As you said Peter great weekend.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3298364)   #66
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yes and at one point I had a que of people waiting to sit in Compte's Volpini. As you said Peter great weekend.
It is a wonderful advertisement for Historic Racing that the small kids get access to see some pretty beautiful machinery - and be allowed to sit in them for a photo opportunity. The parents that I spoke to were really really appreciative.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:41 (Ref:3298487)   #67
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as a kick in (not to spoil the current discussion)

What is considered a large spectator crowd?
Classic Race Aarhus and Copenhagen Classic Gran Prix both pull +25000 spectators every year.
Thats a massive crowd here in Denmark, and the cars that race there is "ordinary" historic racers.

Please return to previous topics
Old 4 Sep 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3299135)   #68
ferguson
Rookie

United States
Vermont
ferguson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres the link to the one we just went too Greg. Pulled a big crowd.Beautiful cars. http://www.limerock.com/index.php?op...d=66&Itemid=60
Old 9 Sep 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3301225)   #69
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by john ruston View Post
Best of luck Alan.

80 people will confirm they want to do it and max 15 turn up.

Excuses will be brilliant. Ask Claire
Seen it...done it....got the teeshirt....have fun xx
Old 9 Sep 2013, 23:06 (Ref:3301239)   #70
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Agree entirely with Al. A bit of flexibility with the rules and it's something that CTCRC, HRSR and App K historic saloons could all get excited about. Presumably there would be some interest from the US also.

JR you are just an old cynic. Al is right about 6 hours being too long for pre-66 cars at clubman level. I'm sure there could be good interest for a Barbados festival of racing but there would have to be plenty of track time to justify that sort of expense and no whiff of 'lining pockets' as per some racing here and in Europe (and I'm not talking of Claire/John here).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Well I could ask you the same question Terry but as I said in my post once people have weighed up the odds of finishing in some of the older cars I think they had second thoughts, I know at the end of the day its good value and all that but if you only get to run for an hour or so and do half a seasons expenses in one event its not much fun.
Al...we discussed this only today on FB......remember...where do you get that you only run for an hour?...half a seasons expense?..well if you are referring to the entry fee then I really do question if you can add up! if you broke down after an hour then you would not be doing any more fuel would you...or wear and tear?...and its relevant Al...You dont like endo...fine...but...you also dont like the idea of 3 x20 min races...gawd if I were you I would fly to Barbados and just have a holiday fishing!!!! and you said today you were fed up of all these foreign meetings "killing the UK Motorsport "

Sorry I also dont believe JR is Cynical...he is a Realist not cynical and in actual fact, did enter the six hour so think he can speak from experience and however much it hurts (as the truth so often does) he is 100 percent correct!....in fact some of the people who said they were "deff interested" on this very thread said EXACTLY and I mean exactly the same thing on "heres a germ of an idea"

You talk about plenty of track time being needed....yet say six hours is too much? Six hours isnt too much for a clubman...if a Monteago can be bought for £140 on e bay and last for six hour then so can any clubman car...its a question of what you want to achieve....but please dont say its too much for clubmen to do...its not...the entry is sooo cheap that real Endurance racers ring the office and say "sorry ...thats all?" and its why suddenly the cars that run elsewhere in Endurance are now looking at us...perhaps it was Mobil1...or perhaps its the way we do things.....and you know what...you could have had it CHEAPER...A LOT CHEAPER....it was a co op...it was going to be run for nothing...and you could have had support races as well.....as for fuel costs etc depends how you wanna go for it but lets say 250 max litres would do a 924, set of tyres and a set of brakes.......need I say more?.. ...so what sort of track time would make you go to Barbados?...2 lots of 30 mins?..with 25 min Qualifying?....you gotta ship a car there...plus get there ....and get back....you think spa is expensive?

You will get lots of interest....lots of "yes count me in"...then you will go out on a limb and book it...or sink money in it...then watch as one by one...it will be "We didnt realise...but that week...." or "I really wanted to do it I did....but its "...or "The car is......." and suddenly ...you are staring down a hole thats now gonna cost you a fortune and then you are left with a decision...cancel...and pay up and look like you didnt deliver...or put it on...and at least you can hold your head as high as you like because you kept your side of the bargain....and so you do the latter because you have nothing to lose....you will go from 49 "count us in"'s to 8 "so glad you made it"s and I could tell you the 49 but whats the point?. Thats not cynical....its the truth and we all know it.

As I said before...good luck and I do genuinely wish you all the best if you get that far....but I warn you ....dont count on internet forums to deliver entries because its easy to type "Im in" on a forum....its another thing turning up with the readies

JR...AMEN to you x
Old 10 Sep 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3301349)   #71
Moosehead
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith View Post

...in fact some of the people who said they were "deff interested" on this very thread said EXACTLY and I mean exactly the same thing on "heres a germ of an idea"
As one of the people who said ''deff interested'' on this thread I hope I'm not one of those you've quoted?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 09:20 (Ref:3301393)   #72
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosehead View Post
As one of the people who said ''deff interested'' on this thread I hope I'm not one of those you've quoted?
You are asking the wrong person that question.... you need to ask yourself if I am "quoting" you, this is easy to answer...via this simple test

1 Did you say you were interested in doing the original 6 hour
2 Did you enter the first six hour

Then use the following matrix to establish

Key Y= Yes and N = NO

If 1 = No and 2 = no then No I am not
If 1 = Yes and 2 = Yes then No I am not
If 1 = Yes and 2= no the Yes I am

Simples x
Old 10 Sep 2013, 17:43 (Ref:3301572)   #73
Moosehead
Veteran

I was the person that had the original conversation with Paul at Anglesey regarding a 'clubman 6hr race' which then continued on here. Paul started the thread, I was second post. I showed interest in the race but then the rules outlawed my car on engine size. Of course things changed as the event neared and rules were relaxed but by then my money was spent elsewhere. Interpret that how you wish

Btw, one of my pet hates is people saying they are going to do something then don't, so as long as the goalposts don't change if I say I'm interested in something then I am.

I'm interested in this Barbados thing, I've had a look at some Youtube videos and to be honest I can't say I'm impressed with the track (don't think Al and I could get our cars side by side ) but the idea of some winter racing with a holiday attached would be a reasonably easy sell to the missus and that in itself is a good bonus, so I'm still interested as long as the goalposts don't move and there is a decent lead time to plan and raise funds etc.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 16:35 (Ref:3302847)   #74
Greg Cozier
Racer

Barbados
Barbados
Greg Cozier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Claire, I appreciate the input despite the fact that 'this ain't my first rodeo'.

My original intent wasn't to gauge competitor interest, that would come later through my usual means. What i was trying to determine was if there was any single group, club, car class, set of tech regs etc. that stood out as attracting a spectator following. Motor sport is show business, from there the rest follows.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 12 Sep 2013, 17:05 (Ref:3302865)   #75
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Claire I do think you miss the point sometimes. 6 hrs in one stint is a big ask for an old car whether you want to agree or not its a fact and I think as a man with a lot of past and present mechanical knowledge I am in a better position then you to make this statement. The Mondeo was slow so obviously could stand a better chance of finishing but who really wants to see a field of bog standard cars buzzing around for 6 hours or be in one, not me you may as well race a 2CV! I agreed that you are better off opening it up to the later BMW's and Jap stuff with their later technology and superior reliability what more do you want me to say but as for lugging a car halfway round the world to get one crack at a 6 hr race no thanks but maybe 3 or 4 cracks over two weekends with 30 minute races sounds a lot more viable and that is what the topic is about not the 360.