Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 24 May 2005, 08:05 (Ref:1308682)   #1
Mike Dodman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Mike Dodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Shelsley Special" record time?

I'm confused!
The Shelsley programmes and Simon Taylor's new book on the centenary of the Hill both state that the late Mark Colton holds the "Shelsley Special (unsupercharged)" record in 26.26 secs. - set on 5/6/94 in his 3.5 litre Roman-Judd VJ.
But Simon's book also shows that the BTD on that day went to Colton in a 3.5 Roman-Judd in 25.91 and on Aug. 14 1994 Mark set an even faster BTD at 25.81
So why isn't the "official" record the 25.81 time?
Old 24 May 2005, 08:12 (Ref:1308688)   #2
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because he probably did them times in the championship Run Off, which doesnt count for the record....
Old 24 May 2005, 17:42 (Ref:1309193)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's probably the case, although I'd suggest it shouldn't be. You can only set a class record in the class runs, but an outright record can be set during any competitive run. So since there is (usually) no class for Shelsley Specials, then shouldn't the quicker run count?
Old 24 May 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1309202)   #4
Steve Wilkinson
Veteran

United Kingdom
Southport
Steve Wilkinson is a back marker
Reasoned thinking?

The usual reason for discounting times set in the TOP 12 Run-off is that there are only 12 (or possibly 13) runners so not everyone competes to set the new time.

You will find a lot of HILL RECORDS are different to the over 2000cc Racing Car record because the faster time is set in the Run-off.

As far as the Shelsley Specials record is concerned I suspect the same reasoning has been applied i.e. Not ALL Shelsley Specials present were in the run-off and therefore were unable to contest setting a new record.

Old 25 May 2005, 06:32 (Ref:1309571)   #5
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
There had better not be any error's!!!!!!!!! I paid good money for that book!!!!!!!!
Next time i see him i;ll make him proof read it. Then he can go to bed early with no supper.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:57 (Ref:1309604)   #6
Mike Dodman
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcestershire
Mike Dodman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wi11iamm
Because he probably did them times in the championship Run Off, which doesnt count for the record....
I quote from the Shelsley programme-
"Outright records can be set at any time during a competition (inc. "Top Ten/Twelve" Championship Runs, but excluding practice) and are therefore not necessarily the same as the class records shown ...in the programme."

so Wooley was correct in his assumption.

As the 25.81 was set in the competition "proper" rather than in practice, I still feel that we have a situation where the "record" is not the record.
Maybe I'll have to take Roger Thomas on one side and get his view on it!
Old 4 Jun 2005, 21:52 (Ref:1320189)   #7
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Class records can be set by any vehicle entering that class on the given day. The lack of competitors (in that class) has no bearing at all. As long as the class is recognised for that day's meeting then any times count.

But, as previously mentioned, Practice times count for nothing !!! Yes, the driver has done it but the records will not show it. ALL times have to be set during competition.