Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 12 Jun 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1935299)   #1
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
orrmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New to FF

I'm starting racing in about 2009, and I'd like to know the feasability of starting in Formula Ford. I will be 19 then, so I will be old enough for the licence, but what would the cost approximately be for the first year? Would I be better off trying to link up with a team if thats possible? Is there a certain championship I should look at as an introduction?

Cheers
Old 12 Jun 2007, 18:43 (Ref:1935332)   #2
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi there,

It totally depends on which type of Formula Ford you would like to do. The team I am involved in runs in the North West Club Formula Ford, which I know a top driver has to run himself in the NW for under 10k during one year, but that was with running himself. For running with a team, you could expect to pay between 10-20k a year.

The North West has had pretty good grids this year, and plenty of friendly people. Not so say that championships such as Castle Combe or Midlands/South or Irish FF are no good.

If your running a Van Diemen, there is a spares service at each race and testday. If your in something older than an '90 chassis, the Pre90 championship is very competitive. The NW and all other Club Formula Ford championships are very good value for money.

If money is a problem to you, buying a car and getting it to the track will be the biggest cost if running yourself. If with a team, you'll pay more, but it will be alot less stressful.

There are around 4 or 5 teams running cars in the NW championship, they are Medina Sport, Infiniti Motorsport, NorthStar Motorsport, Black Dog Racing and Goughracing. All these teams I'm sure will have cars available to rent at some stage over the next couple of years, as long as they hang around. They all compete in the Post89 class in the NW, with Mike Waite, Dave Hart and UCLAN Racing running cars in Pre90.

I'm not so sure about other championships, with who runs what.

Check out www.clubformulaford.com for info on the club side of racing, or www.brsccnw.com, soom good info on there. If you are wanting to do UKFF, I'm sure any CFF race goer would recommend to do Club before national FF

What car are you thinking of driving?

Last edited by youngoldy; 12 Jun 2007 at 18:48.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 20:24 (Ref:1935415)   #3
Century
Rookie

Century should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmate
I'm starting racing in about 2009, and I'd like to know the feasability of starting in Formula Ford. I will be 19 then, so I will be old enough for the licence, but what would the cost approximately be for the first year? Would I be better off trying to link up with a team if thats possible? Is there a certain championship I should look at as an introduction?

Cheers
you have a private message
Old 12 Jun 2007, 21:36 (Ref:1935492)   #4
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Thankyou both for your help. I'm not too sure which class to enter yet, alot of it comes down to costs. I think realisitically I will have a budget of between 10k-15k. Are there any particular classes you would reccomend to a novice?

Looking at it realistically, I will need to run with a team. I doubt I will have a garage with enough space to keep the car and I'm a newcomer so I don't have much technical knowledge. So I will need to run with a team. Would I have to pay the money to a team all up front or will most accept installments?

Although bear in mind I won't actually be racing until 2009, I'm just planning ahead, thats all.

Thankyou for all your help
Old 12 Jun 2007, 21:54 (Ref:1935506)   #5
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The next NW round is at Oulton Park on Sat 30th June. Come along and talk to the drivers and teams. I hear the Co-ordinator is a decent bloke as well.
Old 12 Jun 2007, 22:05 (Ref:1935511)   #6
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi ormate, From one "getting ready rookie" to another

I've managed to pick up some information myself (mostly Castle Combe based) - I'll try and PM it across!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 23:32 (Ref:1935562)   #7
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
When I get a car I'll make my way down to a few of the NW meetings and see whats happening, should be around August/September hopefully. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Old 12 Jun 2007, 23:33 (Ref:1935563)   #8
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jingles
Hi ormate, From one "getting ready rookie" to another

I've managed to pick up some information myself (mostly Castle Combe based) - I'll try and PM it across!
Cheers mate, that would be really helpful. Which class are you going to be racing in?
Old 13 Jun 2007, 08:21 (Ref:1935713)   #9
Mr.Jingles
Racer

United Kingdom
Reading, Berkshire
Mr.Jingles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only I knew! see how the money goes.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 08:19 (Ref:1936674)   #10
StephenRae
Veteran

Wales
North West
StephenRae should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
The next NW round is at Oulton Park on Sat 30th June. Come along and talk to the drivers and teams. I hear the Co-ordinator is a decent bloke as well.
I don't know where you heard that