Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:21 (Ref:702583)   #1
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin to change tyres before Monza

According to Motorsport,

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=24406&s=5

FIA have changed the rules about tyreswidht measure.
The maximum limit of 270 mm will have to result AFTER the race, instead of before the race.
It seems that this change will affect more Michelin than BS.
Michelin teams could be in trouble, because they should adopt new tyres with almost no time to test.
What do you think about?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:25 (Ref:702585)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I presume the "AFTER" bit indicates that the measurement used to be before the race?

Well I didn't realise the width of the tyre would change so much in the course of a race! However surely it is only a matter of a few mm.

Just out of curiosity where is the 270mm meaured? Is it the contact patch width, the width at it's widest point, the wheel width, etc...?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:26 (Ref:702587)   #3
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is ridiculus. I am a TGF fan, but come on. Why not just stop the races and give the crown to Ferrari. This is the worst explanation I have ever heard. If the tyres were legal until now, than change the regulation at the end of the season. This is very angering.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:27 (Ref:702588)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
from the article on Autosport:

"The world championship hopes of Williams and McLaren appear to have suffered a massive blow".

It is hopeless, they should just give up now.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:30 (Ref:702593)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
It seems the measurement is the tread width (from the Autosport article). Tyres may have a tread width that increases (slightly) the more they wear down.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:34 (Ref:702597)   #6
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't think that increasing the tread width was desirable?? Or do you mean the distance from tread to tread?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:39 (Ref:702602)   #7
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
However we have to admit that alrerady in the past Michelin proved very acrobatic in bypassing FIA rules throughout some astute manoeuvre, e.g. when they made/make drivers run with used tyres, that during the race actually became/become close to forbidden slick.
Maybe Dupasquier & C. did it again and have been catched red handed only now.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:42 (Ref:702607)   #8
Attila
Racer

Attila should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It doesn't matter whether it is desirable or not. Because of this, Williams and McLaren have to use untested tyres that basicly kills their chances for this years World Championship. No doubt that this is a favor to Ferrari again. People at FIA want to see TGF win his 6th title, it is so simple ans sad. I will not watch F1 ever again :-(((
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:43 (Ref:702608)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A rule change like this, that might effect the outcome of the championship, with only 3 races left?! How ridiculous is that!?

And I am a Ferrari fan!

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:44 (Ref:702610)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why introduce the rule changes now??Surely with 3 races left it is better to introduce these changes at the start of the next season .
If this works against Williams and Mclaren TGF once again will have some amazing good luck!or is it a Ferrari conspiracy?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:47 (Ref:702613)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
How ridiculous is that!?
The FIA and Bernie are known for their ridiculous descisions
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:49 (Ref:702616)   #12
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns11748.html

From reading this article it sounds like the tyres of one manufaturer flex under pressure during the race and supply extra grip in some illegal manner. Remember the flexing wings on the ferrari's.

If someone is bending the rules, or should I say tires then they should be stopped.

There has been not rule change as far as I can pick up, they have been informed that the structure of the tires in a race changes and therby breaches the rules. If M want to change their tires than that would be a pretty obvious statement that they have been outside the rules
Old 29 Aug 2003, 12:51 (Ref:702619)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Looks like a storm is coming to F1, with this changing rules...
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:02 (Ref:702634)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Sneak peek from the FIA meeting room

Bernie:Hmm Williams are dominating,Michelin are too good! How can i change the outcome of the championship and be remembered as an idiot.

Max: Why dont we misuse our powers and change the rules??

Bernie:Excellent!!i'll be in the F1 history books !

Last edited by ralf fan; 29 Aug 2003 at 13:10.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:09 (Ref:702637)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Champ69, agree with you 100% ;
anyways I think the most interest thing about it is Michelin's reactions (we shouldn't wait too long!)

Last edited by climb; 29 Aug 2003 at 13:10.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:20 (Ref:702647)   #16
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Presuming that it is Ferrari that brought this to the FIA's attention, how long do you think they've had this ace up their sleeves? Michelin say they've been using these tyres since early 2001, have Ferrari just been waiting until they're in a position to gain the most from forcing Michelin to change tyres?

Pretty smart if so, and all part of the game...
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:31 (Ref:702662)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does the FIA not want a title fight or something? Absolutely ridiculous!

World Champion 2003:Michael Schumacher.

We might as well say it now.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:38 (Ref:702667)   #18
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
Gore,
are you sure that such action was brought by Ferrari? Any source to confirm that, or is that just a suspect of yours?

Anyways it's normal that, by the end of the season, when numers get serious, competitions exploits any means: everybody certainly rememers what happened to notorious 1999 Ferrari's side deflector! Macs claimed they were 0,5 mm longer than the regular, and for such reason, ferrari (who made) 1-2 should have been disqualified.
Then it was discovered that the person (expectably an impartial officer) who firstly measured those parts was suspiciously close to the Macs.
Nothing new, then!

Last edited by climb; 29 Aug 2003 at 13:39.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:42 (Ref:702671)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think that McLaren and Williams won't fight back !
They must have influence enough to keep it the way it was.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:43 (Ref:702673)   #20
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, it looks as if it came at exactly the right time; "coincidentally".
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:49 (Ref:702679)   #21
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Climb--No, not heard anything about who brought this to the FIA's attention, just pure opinion that it could well be Ferrari.

As DriverT says, the timing is rather serendipitous for Ferrari and Bridgestone, whcich suggests to me that they had a hand in it.

Last edited by Gore; 29 Aug 2003 at 13:50.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:50 (Ref:702680)   #22
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
It doesn't seem to me "exactly the right time"; if Ferrari are really involved in it, well, they'd better move two months ago!

Last edited by climb; 29 Aug 2003 at 13:50.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:50 (Ref:702682)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Can I direct everyone to the thread at the top of this forum. I can't see some here saying the same thing if it were BS, Ferrari or MS involved, can you?

Lets stick to facts, not fantasy.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:52 (Ref:702685)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Why not change it at the start of the new season and give the tyre companies time for testing???
But as i said above the FIA are known for making ridiculous(yet vital) descisions
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:52 (Ref:702686)   #25
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Two months ago things looked quite comfortable--Even if Ferrari have known about this all year, I'm sure they'd rather win without controversy. Also, that way they'd be able to keep their knowledge sectret, and save it for a more desperate situation in the future...