Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 27 Mar 2015, 01:24 (Ref:3520132)   #1
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hampton Downs is Sold

Read a velocity motorsport article that Hamptons was sold for $13,500,000 any word on the plans for Hampton Downs.

Will there be less use for NZ Motorsport now or will it stay similar to what it is currently.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 01:48 (Ref:3520139)   #2
Shoreboy57
Rookie

Shoreboy57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would have to expect that there will be many changes. TQ not the kind of person to stay still. I'll be happy if this means GT3s in the North Island
Old 27 Mar 2015, 02:47 (Ref:3520147)   #3
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read the same article on Velocity. Seems some people have the idea that the track will be only for the rich and TQ's friends. Personally, I don't think it will be like that. I think TQ will finish the track, add a few extra viewing points in, and then its bye bye to Puke (hurrah! no more bird flu).

One would think that V8SC will be racing at HD when the Puke contract expires.

I think this is great news TBH
Old 27 Mar 2015, 03:16 (Ref:3520149)   #4
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this is great news too. While it is awesome for HD to be predominantly a club sport type track, this is hardly what it's original intention was and not what it was built for. It will be fantastic to see HD finally finished.

Tony is a businessman and he is not going to cut off his nose to spite his face. I believe HD will only be made better by this sale. I'm actually happier to see him buy HD than if he had have purchased Taupo.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 03:50 (Ref:3520156)   #5
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Was at a meeting last night and although it was hinted that it had been sold, no-one would confirm!

It does raise a lot of questions but hopefully, the regular race programme won't be adversely affected. HRC (who take out more race permits than virtually any other club), have only just published their calendar for the next 15 months, so Tony and particularly Chris may well still have some involvement. I certainly hope so.

It was hinted a week or two ago that Tony Quinn was keen to bring the Aussie GT's to Hampton Downs which would be fantastic.

There were already plans at HD for a Museum and a Kart track and as they have been a success at Highlands, hopefully they too will now be put in place.

The biggest query is the position of the apartments - especially those in the rental pool - as all the apartments are freehold and not included in the Motorsport Park. Will the proper Motor Lodge be finished with the proposed pool, tennis courts, gym etc?

There are also queries on the services such as the sewerage treatment plant, the lifestyle blocks and also the planned viillage/pub/hotel/restaurants etc. Is that land also included in the sale?

No doubt we'll find out.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 15:20 (Ref:3520365)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sounds positive that the track will be completed along with any other hanging threads left over.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 18:40 (Ref:3520510)   #7
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Read a velocity motorsport article that Hamptons was sold for $13,500,000 any word on the plans for Hampton Downs.

Will there be less use for NZ Motorsport now or will it stay similar to what it is currently.
Hi FD,

I think you will find that Velocity has jumped the gun on this story, for sure there is talk's going on but remember the same rumor-mill had Taupo sold to Tony lock stock and barrel.

I don't pretend that I know the details, but at the end of the day, if the bank wants to override the interest of the tracks shareholders with out there consent, then the bank will have to take legal action against the shareholders, in order to be able to sell them up.

That has certainly not happened yet, so it would be entirely logical to think that the parties are looking for a compromise that would at least leave the shareholders with their shirts on their back, and a roof over their head, so to speak.

Velocity is simply following the old maxim of "never let the facts get in the way of a good story" a bit naughty but hey what the hell.

Under Tony's ownership Hampton Downs will never be the same, and I am not sure thats a good thing or a bad thing. The apartment owners will lose their grandstand seat's of the Pit action if TQ builds new pits and VIP facilities on the extended track, they may also find that significantly increased security, will also very quickly be put in place, that will help control free loaders to major events.

The cost of competing at Hampton Down's will increase dramatically, because Tony will want a return on his money, so Pukekohe will become even more popular, and Puke still remains the only racetrack in New Zealand that a promotor of a big event can make a dollar.
Old 27 Mar 2015, 20:30 (Ref:3520569)   #8
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
……. if TQ builds new pits and VIP facilities on the extended track……..
I hope you are not suggesting that Tony wants to build a VIP Pet Foods plant on the extended track
Old 27 Mar 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3520655)   #9
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought that was always the plan and the existing pit lane was only for club sport level events. Let's face it, it's far too small for even a V8ST field, it would never be able to accommodate a major international event as it stands (and it can't be easily lengthened either).

The apartment owners don't need pit viewing. They still get to see the events from the best seat in the house, and if I were an owner I would be extremely excited about the prospect of the track extension and Australian GT.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 01:47 (Ref:3520688)   #10
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw this today http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central...se-park-denied I'm sure the velocity boys watch the site can fill us in.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 04:42 (Ref:3520716)   #11
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
One would think that V8SC will be racing at HD when the Puke contract expires.
I seem to recall that the problem for HD is that it is located within the Waikato rather than Auckland region. As the V8SC race is partnered with Auckland council, that'd be a pretty big hurdle to overcome if my memory is correct.

Otherwise, will be interesting to see how this unfolds. TQ has shown himself to be a person who can get stuff done and it could be great news for HD.
Old 28 Mar 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3520776)   #12
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=mikuni;3520655] Let's face it, it's far too small for even a V8ST field.[QUOTE]

Holy smoke it must be the smallest pit lane in existance if its far too small to fit the current V8ST field
Old 28 Mar 2015, 08:26 (Ref:3520782)   #13
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mark, your anti HD apartment owners stance is showing - again! The apartment owners are keen for the facility to be finished. There is a restriction in place whereby the bank between the units and the track cannot be built on to obscure their views.

As the complex purchaser will also own the Motor Lodge, blocking views and reducing the attraction of staying there would be a pointless exercise.

SOME units were always going to lose part of their view when the hospitality units were built on top of the current pits and a control tower built.

Amon Block owners particularly, cannot wait for the track extension to be built, as their views will be enhanced. They'll get an extra view.

As for "freeloaders". Give it a rest Mark. Those "freeloaders" are often drivers who are competing and officials who are helping run the event - and others have often bought tickets to the events anyway. Without those volunteers, meetings will not run - and we are getting to crisis point now, with two tracks to man on one day.

The extended track will not be used for all events (that is pointless) as the National track as is, does very well and is very much a favourite of drivers.

Putting miserably small grids on a longer track would be a sure recipe for failure and I can't see any purchaser wanting to do that, especially one who has already proved that a big field of Aussie GTs are a massive drawcard - when our own V8 classes are definitely not.

The extension - which will be the club circuit - will be ideal for smaller events that can run alongside the national events and manned by the clubs. Manning the extended track may well be an issue. There is no way running a car event at Pukekohe on the same day as HD is going to be properly manned without a massive increase in marshal and officials numbers - who are all unpaid volunteers.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 05:12 (Ref:3521284)   #14
20b
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
20b should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Saw this today http://www.odt.co.nz/regions/central...se-park-denied I'm sure the velocity boys watch the site can fill us in.
Interesting that this has come out. Funny that the quote is from Sentch rather than Quinn himself? Read into that what you will...

There are some very reputable sources claiming that it's all but done, just a few minor negotiations going on as I understand it. However that release has put a few doubts in the minds of the public, but that ODT statement lacks substance. I imagine an official statement will come from Quinn within a few weeks.
Old 29 Mar 2015, 08:55 (Ref:3521333)   #15
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
http://www.themotorhood.com/themotor...y-be-completed

A link article that is probably nearer the truth than most.

Although this post shows the initial layout (but with the fourth apartment block, added later) I first saw way back, well before the plans were made public, you will note that although the track direction has been reversed and a few other detail changes, there was only ever the current pits complex on that drawing.

Later plans were published with an architects model, showing a control tower between the two sets of existing pit garages, but any plans to build permanent pits on what will become the new bottom straight, appear to be pure speculation at this stage. Access from turn 1 night be tricky...

We can safely assume that most meetings will be on the existing track, so building pits on the new longer bottom straight contradict the plans for a 'village' and other mixed residential/commercial units alongside that bottom straight.

The ex Hamilton(?) footbridge has been alongside the track between turns 1 & 2 since it was purchased, as this was going to be an access to the village area across the track.

Whether any purchaser adheres to those plans will of course be totally up to them... Until any deal is signed and sealed, we can only speculate regarding any future plans.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:29 (Ref:3521691)   #16
Kiwi race fan
Rookie

Kiwi race fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I think you will find that Velocity has jumped the gun on this story,
No surprises there, Velocity are pretty trigger happy & in some cases just plain inaccurate with their drivel
Old 30 Mar 2015, 01:36 (Ref:3521697)   #17
Kiwi race fan
Rookie

Kiwi race fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Under Tony's ownership Hampton Downs will never be the same, and I am not sure thats a good thing or a bad thing. The apartment owners will lose their grandstand seat's of the Pit action if TQ builds new pits and VIP facilities on the extended track, they may also find that significantly increased security, will also very quickly be put in place, that will help control free loaders to major events.

The cost of competing at Hampton Down's will increase dramatically, because Tony will want a return on his money,
Totally agree Mark, Tony has made it very clear that quote "Motor racing in New Zealand is too cheap". If this happens you can bet your socks there will be changes & for the average guy they will not be all good. I cant see Hampton becoming the tourist mecca that Highlands is as its simply in the wrong place for that, whereas Taupo would be perfect. However if Tony manages to acquire both then the North Island racers will really be at the mercy of money!

If anyone thinks a round of his AGT will be the saviour for any track you are wrong. Yes its a great series but it also needs great support categories at a meeting to make it a great overall event & I have heard from many people that the Highlands support classes are diminishing fast.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 02:28 (Ref:3521711)   #18
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
There are plenty of regularly large series grids currently running at Hampton Downs and it only needs the buyer to decide which are sustainable and worth inviting to premier events as a support.

If the current level of charges are maintained, then it is fairly safe to assume that entry fees should not move. MSNZ bumped up their levy from $26 to what I believe is now $50 per driver, not the tracks.

Any increase in fees generally leads to some smaller grids and with the average age of our 100+ guys getting dangerously close to pensionable age each year, most being totally unsponsored amateurs, it isn't rocket science to work out the consequences if they are upped too much.

One round of Aussie GTs in itself isn't going to make a huge difference, but has anyone asked why support classes at Highlands have dwindled? Overall, we had pretty good grids at HD this last weekend - again.

There is always a reason for diminishing grids - and we have all 'heard from several people' as to what they believe are the reasons.

Sure, HD isn't a tourist mecca and probably never will be (though there still is plenty of tourism potential), but what it does have is a massive catchment area of locals, within an easy hour's drive, something that even Taupo doesn't have. Highlands Park is hardly going to be a tourism mecca either with so few race days a year, so in that respect, finishing HD as originally planned has every opportunity of increasing income from tourists and locals alike.

Last edited by socram; 30 Mar 2015 at 02:39.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 04:55 (Ref:3521725)   #19
bigfish
Rookie

bigfish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im sure that TQ will sleep better knowing that he has all of you advising him
Old 30 Mar 2015, 09:22 (Ref:3521790)   #20
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Although this post shows the initial layout (but with the fourth apartment block, added later) I first saw way back, well before the plans were made public, you will note that although the track direction has been reversed and a few other detail changes, there was only ever the current pits complex on that drawing.
True, but that artists impression is a lot different to Hampton Downs now. I will concede that it implies there was never any 'plan' to build a second pit complex.

Looking at it, it would make complete sense to put a pit facility down the new straight, between the two circuits.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3521961)   #21
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
http://autoaction.com.au/tony-quinn-...04021419653102 - comments from Tony Quinn himself.

At last. A link to some truth and confirms much of what some have already been saying.
Old 30 Mar 2015, 20:56 (Ref:3521975)   #22
mikuni
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
http://autoaction.com.au/tony-quinn-...04021419653102 - comments from Tony Quinn himself.

At last. A link to some truth and confirms much of what some have already been saying.
Not sure about others, but the link didn't work for me.

Try this
http://autoaction.com.au/tony-quinn-...hampton-downs/

Is that the same one?
Old 20 May 2015, 07:16 (Ref:3539554)   #23
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.facebook.com/VelocityNews?fref=nf

Article below for those not on FB

QUINN’S PLANS FOR HAMPTON DOWNS REVEALED

Highlands Motorsport Park owner and Australian pet food mogul Tony Quinn is reportedly set to spend $25 million on developing Hampton Downs Motorsport Park.

In an article published yesterday by the National Business Review, Chris Hutching reported Quinn had paid $15.5 million for the North Waikato circuit and has plans to complete the business park.

Talking with the National Business Review, Hampton Downs founder Tony Roberts confirmed the deal is set to be completed in the coming weeks.

“Tony [Quinn] has asked me to stay on and run the place after the deal settles on June 2,” said Roberts.

“In the next six months I expect him to inject quite a bit of capital. It will usher in a golden age for New Zealand motor sport.

“People are really positive about it [...] Tony’s entrance will see the fulfilment of a dream.”

The article comes after Velocity NZ confirmed in late March a deal had been reached between Quinn and Hampton Downs. It is understood the planned extension is included in the development proposal for the facility.
Old 20 May 2015, 09:45 (Ref:3539576)   #24
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How ironic is June 2nd? That will mark the 45th anniversary of Bruce McLaren's passing.

I was told by sources close to the deal that it was concluded late last week.

Auckland will now have a completed world-class race circuit and the finalisation of a dream that Tony and Chris so boldly started.

The question is how will Auckland cope with only one race circuit once Pukekohe reaches the end of it's life or succumbs to urban sprawl?
Old 20 May 2015, 11:24 (Ref:3539611)   #25
isoskim
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland
isoskim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post

The question is how will Auckland cope with only one race circuit once Pukekohe reaches the end of it's life or succumbs to urban sprawl?
Hopefully we will have less meetings with bigger classes (and hopefully more entries), bigger crowds and less legal action.... (Tui ad?)

I might not see eye to eye with everything that Hampton Downs and HRC do and have done, but I'm happy to see that their vision will be carried forward and the circuit can live up to it's full potential.