Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Dec 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3699168)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
bumped....
Old 2 Jan 2017, 09:17 (Ref:3699650)   #52
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I agree with the clash argument.

It smacks of people trying to exploit the historic scene for short term gain.

There is no need to have 2 shows of the same type at the same time.

I guess the Masters boys agree as I see there will not be a repeat of that unfortunate clash with HSCC at the beginning of July on the racing calendar again this year.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 13:44 (Ref:3699910)   #53
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

[QUOTE=midgetman;3698197]Let's be honest, above the M4 is "north".

Coming from Bognor - Goodwood is north
Old 4 Jan 2017, 09:02 (Ref:3700073)   #54
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Seems the promoters of both shows are really pushing the PR. Latest email from RR tells me of all the splendid attractions that await, and the Excel lot announced (in CCW today) that they will have a 'pop up' auto jumble at their show. I thought they were all like that......
Old 4 Jan 2017, 09:10 (Ref:3700074)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
My thoughts on this are simply to avoid both. RR has been in a downward spiral for years now, and the Excel show seems nothing more than a few cars idling round a warehouse, hardly spectacular.

All they are doing is trying to play to a captive audience as there is nothing going on. Same as the NEC shambles.

So my attitude to that is to not believe the spin.

Someone totally disassociated normally with historic racing mailed me yesterday to tell me how stupid having two shows on the same date was, and I could only agree.

Sadly, this is the world we live in, all you can do is vote with your wallet.

PR is just nothing, pure and complete nonsense designed to get you buying tickets, and to get you to choose, nothing more. Think of them as PPI salesmen and you will perhaps be more accurate.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 12:39 (Ref:3700116)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Fear not, my friend! It will take more than a bit of PR spin to tempt my wallet out...
Old 4 Jan 2017, 14:31 (Ref:3700135)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh I fully realise that Mike, just find it a little annoying, rather arrogant and startling that people do get taken in by it!!
Old 4 Jan 2017, 23:08 (Ref:3700226)   #58
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post

RR has been in a downward spiral for years now, and the Excel show seems nothing more than a few cars idling round a warehouse, hardly spectacular.

All they are doing is trying to play to a captive audience as there is nothing going on. Same as the NEC shambles.
I don't get the continual knocking of RR or the NEC Classic to be honest. Every year.

RR has the rally demos so how is "nothing going on"? It's a very similar show to how it's always been, granted, but please come up with ideas for something different.

They are both just temporary museums really, with the opportunity to talk to other enthusiasts and racing/ rallying providers or suppliers.

If you don't like it, don't go or suggest improvements.
Old 4 Jan 2017, 23:24 (Ref:3700228)   #59
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Improvements are obvious.

Try and get more stands and cars exhibited.

You know the layout pretty much before you get there. It is very stale as most people on here concur.

I would have the show on every other year, not every year. Perhaps the option to let people go into the rally cars for a price. Try and attract some more interesting guests. Have some competitions or something. get more varied aspects of racing there like drag racing, sprinting, rallycross etc, The first few shows were packed with all sorts of interesting things, not so much now. People have been priced out.

NEC is a waste of time completely, very expensive and a trade show that they allow you to pay 50 quid to join in. How anyone can justify it is beyond me. I can only make one suggestion there, make it at least half the price. And take up the slack with the parking as other shows there do.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 06:05 (Ref:3700254)   #60
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fair suggestions Chunder, but RR is a historic themed show so maybe difficult to include disciplines which are not so age orientated. I believe there is classic hot rod racing though so maybe include that. I agree RR is very similar year on year but I don't agree that it's worse than the early years.

Good idea to offer rides in the rally cars but maybe insurance is an issue?

The NEC Classic Car show in Nov is expensive, and I would like to see more completion cars on the stands, and a Group B type demo outside but the classic car world is very different to the racing world and i know plenty of classic car enthusiasts that are not motorsport fans and would not be interested in that. One of the reasons that it is expensive is that the bone ride car clubs exhibiting usually get free stand space as they are providing the cars - many of the smaller clubs could not afford to attend if that wasn't the case. But the cost has to be born somewhere.

As for Autosport show, I usually go every other year and then wonder why I bothered, except that there is little else motorsport orientated in Jan! I found that it is worth going if you want to buy something specific, and even then go on the Sunday and haggle for a bargain as they are packing up late on.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3700260)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Just thought I'd share the last email from RR as it suggests punters can have a chance to drive a rally car- hopefully under supervision!

http://email.raceretro.com/q/11mSPV5wWe1hqRepvNE7uQS/wv
Old 5 Jan 2017, 08:11 (Ref:3700269)   #62
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Fair play to Race Retro they seem to be really doing something a bit different then. I think if you change promoters this is a good thing.

Some of the cars on offer are a little not rally cars like the E type! But at least they a re offering something more than usual
Old 5 Jan 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3700293)   #63
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, as I,ve said previously, it is the most stupid thing ever in staging these two events at the same time, but I shall go to RaceRetro again, purely to be able to buy/order parts that I need, especially with the Lola rebuild. I do usually manage to get some really good deals with regulars there on the fixed stands, and apparently they already have over 100 autojumble stands booked.

I think RR have done some better pushing for new format and exhibitors and pray that is the case, or this will be my last visit there.
Old 5 Jan 2017, 15:42 (Ref:3700333)   #64
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt917 View Post
Well, as I,ve said previously, it is the most stupid thing ever in staging these two events at the same time, but I shall go to RaceRetro again, purely to be able to buy/order parts that I need, especially with the Lola rebuild. I do usually manage to get some really good deals with regulars there on the fixed stands, and apparently they already have over 100 autojumble stands booked.
100 autojumble stands sounds promising - as long as there aren't loads of non-motoring ones.
New exhibitors should increase the chances of finding something interesting.

But with two shows at the same time how can someone be sure that they go to the show that their preferred suppliers are attending?
Old 5 Jan 2017, 18:56 (Ref:3700365)   #65
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Another day, another release from RR......

http://email.raceretro.com/q/11mSPV5wWVz1yCdjorrxeBe/wv

Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:58 (Ref:3700505)   #66
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://mpacreative.us5.list-manage.c...9&e=f5c3aee590

To be even handed.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 12:05 (Ref:3700528)   #67
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Or not! Web page not found, even by trying through the main show site-

http://www.thelondonclassiccarshow.co.uk/

Maybe it's broke temporarily....
Old 6 Jan 2017, 12:49 (Ref:3700538)   #68
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Maybe they have been reading he forum and decided two shows at the same time is a bad ide and are going to RR instead!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 13:14 (Ref:3700546)   #69
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
If I was running RR, as soon as I could, I'd get out of the Stoneleigh contract or run it down and move the event to Donington Park. Permanent exhibition centre on site, the museum is already there (arrange for rotational visiting exhibits? Include entrant in the ticket price), there is room for additional temporary exhibition space if required, there is the permanent Paddock exhibition space and of course there is room for a proper rally stage and for the circuit to be used for demos of circuit cars/ a high end track day/ testing. The is plenty of additional Tarmac space at the Melborne end for autotesting demos or "have a go sessions" and there is the Melborne Loop for an Oval race demo.

Easy to get to. Plenty of parking on site. Plenty of near by hotels and b & bs etc etc.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 13:56 (Ref:3700556)   #70
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Far too sensible
Old 6 Jan 2017, 14:10 (Ref:3700562)   #71
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Or not! Web page not found, even by trying through the main show site-

http://www.thelondonclassiccarshow.co.uk/

Maybe it's broke temporarily....
Works for me even from this site, so time for someone to purchase a new computer.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:31 (Ref:3700592)   #72
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Works for me even from this site, so time for someone to purchase a new computer.
********, it is a new compitooter, and site wasn't but is now working again......
Old 6 Jan 2017, 15:39 (Ref:3700597)   #73
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
********, it is a new compitooter, and site wasn't but is now working again......

Sounds like Windows 10!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 16:18 (Ref:3700613)   #74
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Sounds like Windows 10!
10 Pro.....
Old 6 Jan 2017, 16:45 (Ref:3700622)   #75
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
10 Pro.....

Short for Problems, I presume?