Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 19 Jan 2017, 13:23 (Ref:3703576)   #176
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
If it's particularly suited to M'sport you could try Racecars Direct website.

Or Saga.....
I did think about racecars, but £40 listing fee seemed a bit steep, its a smallish audience.

Already had an enquiry from Spain!
Old 19 Jan 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3703583)   #177
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Speaking of selling, was that the Lumbertubs Sprite I saw on the Autosport International auction? It had 'Burf's' name on the side.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 19 Jan 2017, 17:19 (Ref:3703609)   #178
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It wouldn't surprise me as Iain bought Justins G4, which sort of blows a spridget into the weeds.
Old 19 Jan 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3703619)   #179
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Talking of auctions, anyone heading for Kings Lynn Saturday after next? When's the next lotto draw!

Something for everyone......

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/e...-january-2017/
Old 19 Jan 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3703628)   #180
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Talking of auctions, anyone heading for Kings Lynn Saturday after next? When's the next lotto draw!

Something for everyone......

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/e...-january-2017/
In interesting "pair" of lightweight E-Types.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 07:03 (Ref:3703707)   #181
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmmm - that Austin Allegro L will be MINE!!!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 07:23 (Ref:3703713)   #182
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
News from Colin in NZ . Not the best of starts as car ground hole in sump coming out of container . He has managed to get the dump repaired and qualified 17 out of 23.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:09 (Ref:3703748)   #183
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Mmmm - that Austin Allegro L will be MINE!!!
My first company car was an 1100 2dr- probably the best of the breed! The Alfasud would be nice, being the hatchback 1.5 engine model. Or the sweet little Mini City automatic. I seem to remember that auto box was 4 speed and not at all bad? One Classic dealer has a 2dr MG1300 mk2 for sale, which (again from memory) used the full cooper S engine?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 10:36 (Ref:3703763)   #184
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
My first company car was an 1100 2dr- probably the best of the breed! The Alfasud would be nice, being the hatchback 1.5 engine model. Or the sweet little Mini City automatic. I seem to remember that auto box was 4 speed and not at all bad? One Classic dealer has a 2dr MG1300 mk2 for sale, which (again from memory) used the full cooper S engine?
I'd managed not to look at that auction site until you mentioned the magic word 'Alfasud'. It's a good job I'm not going to King's Lynn next week as there are a few temptations on there - not that I've got any money to spend. The 2CV with 490 miles on the clock would be worth importing here though, as would be just about anything Land Rover...

I owned Alfasud's continuously (4 in total) from 1982 - 2008 & loved them all. The last was also one of the last built, a 1.5 Ti Green Cloverleaf that we had for 20 years. Only sold it in 2008 because I couldn't find the requisite LHD headlamps needed for CT (French MoT) in order to register it here. Regretted selling it ever since.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 12:48 (Ref:3703801)   #185
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It's always a good site to look through, if only to dream......

I was wondering if the Ashley Midge would make a project race car, but it doesn't show very well in pics. The Transit panel van looked OK from a distance....

Green Cloverleaf 'Sud would be 105bhp? Think the 'Gold' is 95bhp from research.... Shame you had to sell.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 13:05 (Ref:3703809)   #186
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It's always a good site to look through, if only to dream......

I was wondering if the Ashley Midge would make a project race car, but it doesn't show very well in pics. The Transit panel van looked OK from a distance....

Green Cloverleaf 'Sud would be 105bhp? Think the 'Gold' is 95bhp from research.... Shame you had to sell.
Yes, the Green Cloverleaf was 105 bhp. The only downside really was that bigger tyres than the earlier models slightly spoilt things, but that's progress, still a great car that gave a lot of pleasure.

I still have an Alfa (couldn't be without!) in the form of a 156 Sportwagon, but also have a 1991 Peugeot 205 run-around, which in many ways is like an early 'Sud. It's only a basic model so no good for motorways but still fun on the local roads round here.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 13:19 (Ref:3703811)   #187
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Yes, the Green Cloverleaf was 105 bhp. The only downside really was that bigger tyres than the earlier models slightly spoilt things, but that's progress, still a great car that gave a lot of pleasure.

I still have an Alfa (couldn't be without!) in the form of a 156 Sportwagon, but also have a 1991 Peugeot 205 run-around, which in many ways is like an early 'Sud. It's only a basic model so no good for motorways but still fun on the local roads round here.
What you really need is a French spec 205 Rallye when I've finished the resto! Still not good on Autoroutes though.....

Just reading the local weekly paper, I find that Wymondham based Zenos Cars have gone into administration. http://www.zenoscars.com

Started, I believe, but ex Lotus people, the stuff I've seen driving around here is stunning, and got very good reviews by the press. Such a niche market, so always a risk. They received £240k funding from the local LEP 2 years ago- whoops!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 13:48 (Ref:3703819)   #188
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
What you really need is a French spec 205 Rallye when I've finished the resto! Still not good on Autoroutes though.....

Just reading the local weekly paper, I find that Wymondham based Zenos Cars have gone into administration. http://www.zenoscars.com

Started, I believe, but ex Lotus people, the stuff I've seen driving around here is stunning, and got very good reviews by the press. Such a niche market, so always a risk. They received £240k funding from the local LEP 2 years ago- whoops!
Perhaps I had better visit Attleborough next time I'm in Norfolk...

There are so many good classic events round here I really to find myself something so I can get involved. The 205 Rallye might be good; the GTi & Convertible (actually watching one of those 'oop north on eBay) have achieved classic status but not the ordinary versions - I think there are simply too many of them still in daily use, still hold quite good values too. There's even a high-top 205 van knocking around here.

Speaking of convertibles, there's a very tidy Metro Convertible in the area - not something you see every day!

Yes, a friend in Wymondham emailed me the Zenos story from the EDP yesterday. Don't think I knew anybody involved.

Last edited by John Elwin; 20 Jan 2017 at 13:50. Reason: Last line didn't make sense as originally written!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 14:35 (Ref:3703831)   #189
356sc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Camberley
356sc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have you seen this lot..even though she won it as a prize it was still not driven!!!!

http://www.angliacarauctions.co.uk/e...iles-from-new/

60s endurance 1965 356sc #49
Mag 7's #60
Old 20 Jan 2017, 15:10 (Ref:3703846)   #190
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
[QUOTE=Mike Bell;3703811]What you really need is a French spec 205 Rallye when I've finished the resto! Still not good on Autoroutes though.....

Sure Mike, probably the best of the range, very light. Autoroutes are not their field, with the short ratio gearbox and the 40 DCOM barking under the bonnet. In my memory, the 1300 Austin you mentioned had only 1 SU genuinely. I loved mine and shouldn't have had it almost cutted in two parts. I loved mom's Vanden Plas little Princess too… You could lit the fog lamps one by one making a kind of blink of an eye
Old 20 Jan 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3703859)   #191
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
In my memory, the 1300 Austin you mentioned had only 1 SU genuinely. I loved mine and shouldn't have had it almost cutted in two parts. I loved mom's Vanden Plas little Princess too… You could lit the fog lamps one by one making a kind of blink of an eye
From research, in UK the single carb was only on the automatic version-

"Four speed automatic transmission was an option on the new 1300, but in this case a single SU carburettor was used. In manual form the engine produced a healthy 75 bhp and closer ratio four synchromesh gearboxes were fitted to both the MG and Riley versions."

Not saying it's gospel, but coincides with my memory..... The VDP 1100/1300 was amazing inside!

The 2CV story will help the selling price, whatever state the car is in. The roof looks like it is finished as a P&O flag- cool.

Citroen AX GT is getting very rare as well. The example in the auction looks to be in excellent shape!

Reality check needed.....
Old 20 Jan 2017, 16:24 (Ref:3703861)   #192
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
From research, in UK the single carb was only on the automatic version-

"Four speed automatic transmission was an option on the new 1300, but in this case a single SU carburettor was used. In manual form the engine produced a healthy 75 bhp and closer ratio four synchromesh gearboxes were fitted to both the MG and Riley versions."

Not saying it's gospel, but coincides with my memory..... The VDP 1100/1300 was amazing inside!

The 2CV story will help the selling price, whatever state the car is in. The roof looks like it is finished as a P&O flag- cool.

Citroen AX GT is getting very rare as well. The example in the auction looks to be in excellent shape!

Reality check needed.....
So, you'll be off to the auction with a transporter then, Mike?

BTW, my first car was a Morris 1100, before I discovered the error of my ways - don't buy a car that's spent it's early years next to the North Sea (well, Cley-next-the-Sea).
Old 20 Jan 2017, 16:54 (Ref:3703867)   #193
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
So, you'll be off to the auction with a transporter then, Mike?

BTW, my first car was a Morris 1100, before I discovered the error of my ways - don't buy a car that's spent it's early years next to the North Sea (well, Cley-next-the-Sea).
NO.

1100s rusted wherever they lived- like most other stuff did! Seem to recall a box section underneath that was a perfect water and mud trap.....

I don't often buy books, but the chance to buy a £60 volume about the V16 BRM today for £4.99 appealed. I've now learned that the pics I have (from my late Dad) at Snett were taken on July 25th 1953, only time the car appeared there. I would have been 3yrs 9 months old- wonder if I was there?

Oh, and the bookshop also has one (reduced) on Amedee Gordini and his cars. (Sorry no acute accents on this keyboard!) Bauble / Gerard- should I buy?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3703873)   #194
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
NO.

1100s rusted wherever they lived- like most other stuff did! Seem to recall a box section underneath that was a perfect water and mud trap.....

I don't often buy books, but the chance to buy a £60 volume about the V16 BRM today for £4.99 appealed. I've now learned that the pics I have (from my late Dad) at Snett were taken on July 25th 1953, only time the car appeared there. I would have been 3yrs 9 months old- wonder if I was there?

Oh, and the bookshop also has one (reduced) on Amedee Gordini and his cars. (Sorry no acute accents on this keyboard!) Bauble / Gerard- should I buy?
My Lancia Beta didn't rust, despite what people say... It just got severely reduced in length by a German in a Ford Taunus.

I bought the Gordini book last year but haven't read it yet. I'm told it is very good. Is there another copy of the BRM book in your shop?

If you want a good read, I'm just coming to the end of Tony Dron's Alan Mann biography - very interesting, very readable & highly recommended.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 17:57 (Ref:3703887)   #195
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
My Lancia Beta didn't rust, despite what people say... It just got severely reduced in length by a German in a Ford Taunus.

I bought the Gordini book last year but haven't read it yet. I'm told it is very good. Is there another copy of the BRM book in your shop?

If you want a good read, I'm just coming to the end of Tony Dron's Alan Mann biography - very interesting, very readable & highly recommended.
It's "BRM V16 in camera", author Anthony Pritchard. Lots of great pics, which suits me! Yes, they had couple more copies today. If you want I'll call in Monday and get another if still on the shelf.

Unfortunately I don't read as much as I should, but the Alan Mann biography would interest me. Like Dron's writing as well.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3703891)   #196
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Quote:
It's "BRM V16 in camera", author Anthony Pritchard. Lots of great pics, which suits me! Yes, they had couple more copies today. If you want I'll call in Monday and get another if still on the shelf.

Unfortunately I don't read as much as I should, but the Alan Mann biography would interest me. Like Dron's writing as well.
I'd appreciate that if it's not out of your way or inconvenient - sounds like a good deal for a fiver! Anthony Pritchard always did a good job (he's no loner with us).

The Alan Mann book is very much him telling the story, ably pieced together by Tony D. I found it fascinating, especially as so many of the cars he talks about are relevant to today's historic scene. The insight into Ford's 1966 Le Mans victory was an eye-opener.
Old 20 Jan 2017, 19:14 (Ref:3703904)   #197
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, and the bookshop also has one (reduced) on Amedee Gordini and his cars. (Sorry no acute accents on this keyboard!) Bauble / Gerard- should I buy?[/QUOTE]

Well hard to say for me, you know. I guess "Le Bauble" has already got his copy of Amédée's production he will for sure be more independent than me in this matter too. Is the said book shop located in London?

About the auction, if you're not too much undaunted by french crap - sorry, lets say french cars in general - try to put your hand on the Visa if a GT not a GTI. Yes you'll have to cope with mister Pherson suspension design but jeez the engine is just fantastic. We had that for the Trophée Samba a one make series with Talbot Samba Rallye. This engine cant help revving!
Old 20 Jan 2017, 19:23 (Ref:3703905)   #198
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
I'm no more a kid but always surprised what kind of a naive I can be. few years ago, when in London with wife I wandered a lot to find two books about Capris. one was supposed to "reveal" so many tricks used by the preparers. Of course slightly disappointed…
John did you notice that we have Lewis H in a live TV show tonight, TMC so channel 10 ?
Old 20 Jan 2017, 19:30 (Ref:3703907)   #199
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Back to the MG1300. I had one and yes t was full Cooper S specification complete with (relatively) close ratio gearbox. It went like hell, as the Fiesta XR2 I out ran up Cumnor Hill one evening will attest. But the handling was, er, erratic and the hydro spastic suspension bounced at a different rate to the seats and we both felt sea sick!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 21 Jan 2017, 07:49 (Ref:3704006)   #200
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post

About the auction, if you're not too much undaunted by french crap - sorry, lets say french cars in general - try to put your hand on the Visa if a GT not a GTI. Yes you'll have to cope with mister Pherson suspension design but jeez the engine is just fantastic. We had that for the Trophée Samba a one make series with Talbot Samba Rallye. This engine cant help revving!
And they did a Group B version.