Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 14 Dec 2000, 18:19 (Ref:52427)   #1
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
hmmm... Easter weekend looks like a belter...!

Saturday - ALMS and FPA - Donington Park
Sunday - Powertour - Donington Park
Monday - BTCC Round One - Brands Hatch

WOW! Start saving now guys and girls - anyone who was lucky enough to make the ALMS meeting last year will testify that you simply cannot miss that, Powertour looks awesome with all the series it now contains (who'd have thought we'd have ever have said that after the comments we made after it's inaugral meeting at Thruxton last season ? ) and the brand new merged BTCC/NSC kicks off at Brands on the Monday

Woohoo!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 18:53 (Ref:52442)   #2
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Already had Sun/Mon marked in my diary. I was supposed to be picking up my parents from the airport on Sat but now the ALMS has been scheduled they can get the bus instead.

Still trying to work out when qualifying is at Donnington. Will PowerTour and Alms/FPA all qualify on Fri, or ALMS on Fri and PT on Sat before the ALMS race ? I'm guessing ALMS will be afternoon/evening race as last year.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 18:58 (Ref:52446)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I would imagine that ALMS will qualify on the Friday, with Powertour qualifying on the Saturday prior to the ALMS in the evening - in a similar manner to Silverstone last year when the ALMS paired up with the FIA GT's.

I think that a tent is called for Saturday evening... not much point in upping sticks and heading South again only to head back up the M40 the next morning...

Glad to see you have your priorities right, Nigel... You can't miss ALMS for the sake of not upsetting you parents!
Old 14 Dec 2000, 20:36 (Ref:52472)   #4
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sod Brands, it's too far. ALMS might be great, but why does it have to be stuck with a naff support like the FPA??
Old 14 Dec 2000, 20:48 (Ref:52475)   #5
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Who cares about the support races ? It'd be worth going if it were the only thing on all day...
Old 14 Dec 2000, 21:06 (Ref:52480)   #6
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not saying the ALMS isn't worth it on it's own. I just think such a great series deserves a better support that's all.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 22:42 (Ref:52507)   #7
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Well I guess that it is being run as a support race to the Powertour effectively... i'm sure they're sharing the circuit costs, etc. with the PT ?
Old 14 Dec 2000, 22:51 (Ref:52513)   #8
Carrie
Veteran

Very true. I wonder if Donington Powertour is a double header like they were last year. In which case, as well as Powertour qualy we could have an F3 race on same day as ALMS.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 23:04 (Ref:52522)   #9
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Every PowerTour is an F3 double-header next year - first and last races on Sunday. Don't think there are any races on qualifying day.

Craig, my parents know better than that by now than to question where my priorities lie.
Old 14 Dec 2000, 23:14 (Ref:52529)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I'm not sure, but I thought that Powertour were reserving a space for guest series on qualifying day... Mini Se7ens and the like ?
Old 17 Dec 2000, 01:38 (Ref:52896)   #11
Lorna
Veteran

Lorna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooh! Too much choice! I bet I still end up at Brands even though Donington is closer.

Redshoes! Your poor parents! Anyone wanna offer to pick up Redshoes' parents from the airport?????
Old 17 Dec 2000, 10:44 (Ref:52955)   #12
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
I know it'd be expensive to do more than one, but you have GOT to do the ALMS race! And, if it's anything like last year, it's cheap too - like a tenner to get in
Old 18 Dec 2000, 01:12 (Ref:53103)   #13
Lorna
Veteran

Hmmmm..... ALMS sounds good. I might be convinced to do the three days, money permitting.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 01:05 (Ref:53250)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to come up to London in April to check out Teamworks Karting for business reasons and it might as well be ALMS weekend. Where exactly is Donnington? Can one get there on the train?

Since I'm catching 2 ALMS races in Canada this summer (at Tremblant and at Mosport) that will be a nice opener.
Old 19 Dec 2000, 01:44 (Ref:53255)   #15
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz, in England this year, you can't get ANYWHERE on the train!

Seriously, I don't think there's an easy rail link to the circuit. There are probably shuttle buses from Derby or Leicester(?) but I suspect the easiest thing will be to organise a lift in advance.

I am pretty sure I'll be at the ALMS, and if I know Bluebottle....

So I shouldn't think transport will be too much of a problem.

I believe there's a Historic Sports Car Club meeting scheduled for Silverstone that weekend too, which last year had Galaxies and Falcons racing. Might make for an interesting alternative to Powertour!
Old 19 Dec 2000, 12:55 (Ref:53310)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, I'd love to see that Historic One! I learned to drive on one of those Historic Galaxie 500 racers!

I hate to think they are "Historic" now though...

Tim, if you and Bluebottle fancy some free karting, I might be able to promote a round at Teamworks in exchange for a lift to the ALMS. You can be my London Office. And the karting is indoors so the English Weather doesn't obtain.

I hope the new Panoz is good in the rain. The model they had last year had an excellent race at the Nurembergring but was not much at Mosport..... Of course a lot of BTCC stuff got into the ALMS last year so perhaps that won't crop up in this race.

Anyway if I can get transport, I shall be there!
Old 20 Dec 2000, 14:28 (Ref:53478)   #17
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz,
Why don't you fly into East Midlands Airport (1 mile from the circuit) and then cadge a lift South on the Sunday night to catch the real entertainment of the weekend on the Monday?

Carrie! "Sod Brands"?????? I think not! Wash your mouth out! First race of the new season for the Touring Car show, and yet to be confirmed but it might even be on the legendary GP circuit else the Indy circuit is Ricks spiritual home...

The Rickster
Old 20 Dec 2000, 21:08 (Ref:53525)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Rick darling -

A mile from what circuit? Catch a flight to where? Can you write to my boss and tell him I am urgently needed wherever we're talking about, so I can get the Monday off?
Old 21 Dec 2000, 08:49 (Ref:53598)   #19
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
East Midlands airport is about 1 mile from Donington (as you are more than well aware if you were sleeping in a race truck during the TOCA weekend last year when at about 3AM some American tried to land his Jumbo jet on my head)

Think you might have to organise your own excuse...

Not going to aid you in visiting the opposition racing!

RickP
Old 21 Dec 2000, 14:16 (Ref:53646)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Well, April is awhile away and we will see what develops. I'd love to come see you race, Rick, if I can come up with a good reason not to be here on the Tuesday.

Work just interferes too much with my life, that's all!
Old 21 Dec 2000, 19:01 (Ref:53681)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Do what i've just done Liz - leave and get a better job!

Did someone just mention the GP circuit ? woohoo!!
Old 21 Dec 2000, 19:24 (Ref:53689)   #22
Liz
Veteran

This IS a better job. The last one made me work until 6:00 on Christmas Eve - this one gave me a big bonus and a 10 day break.

Now if I can just get them to give me these ten days during racing season ...
Old 21 Dec 2000, 20:03 (Ref:53702)   #23
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Sounds like you need a better one I now get 20 days paid leave (yes, I know the old employers were breaking EU employment laws...) and a good mate of mine informs me she gets 30! Blimey!
Old 22 Dec 2000, 03:11 (Ref:53767)   #24
Lorna
Veteran

Hehe. Yes, 30 days. Pension, Private Healthcare and annual bonus thrown in as well. Working for a worldwide pharmaceutical company certainly has it's benefits.
Old 22 Dec 2000, 19:06 (Ref:53848)   #25
Carrie
Veteran

Sorry folks, you can still do the ALMS at Donington that weekend, but the Powertour calendar has been changed, so Snetterton will be on the Easter weekend and they go to Donny the weekend after.

Revised tour dates for 2001:

Round One Sunday 1 April Silverstone (International)
Round Two Sunday 15 April Snetterton
Round Three Sunday 29 April Donington Park (International)

Round Four Monday 7 May Oulton Park (International)
Round Five Monday 28 May Croft
Round Six Sunday 10 June Knockhill
Round Seven Sunday 24 June Castle Combe
Round Eight Sunday 8 July Brands Hatch (GP)
Round Nine Sunday 22 July Donington Park (International)
Round Ten Sunday 19 August tba
Round Eleven Sunday 2 September Thruxton
Round Twelve Sunday 16 September Brands Hatch (Indy)
Round Thirteen Saturday 29 September Silverstone (International) night race