Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:00 (Ref:1970609)   #1
Falcon Flyer
Rookie

Falcon Flyer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Channel Seven’s telecast of v8’s

Is it just me or was anyone else disappointed with the Adelaide's telecast of race 2 and 3 at Willowbank?
Just one and a half hours. Cutting out laps and pit stops and race incidents.
Pathetic effort Channel 7 bring back channel ten.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:31 (Ref:1970623)   #2
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
FF, my thoughts exactly, PATHETIC, come back from a ad break and 5-10 laps go missing and they announce 'we're green again after a saftwy car' and we are left to just guess what caused it !!!! Absolute ****house coverage

Last edited by marcus; 23 Jul 2007 at 23:17.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 23:37 (Ref:1970627)   #3
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No-one has a right to complain compared to South Australian viewers. We get the worst coverage in the country. I wish Fox had the rights (even if you have to pay, you have to admit there commitment to live sport is brilliant).
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:06 (Ref:1970642)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i thought the coverage was great, best coverage of v8s ever this year without any doubt.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:07 (Ref:1970643)   #5
mmciau
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
mmciau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Flyer
Is it just me or was anyone else disappointed with the Adelaide's telecast of race 2 and 3 at Willowbank?
Just one and a half hours. Cutting out laps and pit stops and race incidents.
Pathetic effort Channel 7 bring back channel ten.
Agreed

Skaife has a bad pit row in Race 2 and we are none the wiser!

Terrible cutting of race coverage but good old Channel 7 didn't cut the advertisements!!!!

mike
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:13 (Ref:1970646)   #6
Peddler
Racer

Australia
Camden, NSW
Peddler has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I also agree... it was a very poor effort by 7. Its evident that they dont really care to much compared to the AFL "sky pingpong"

Go the Datto!!!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 00:55 (Ref:1970676)   #7
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
i thought the coverage was great, best coverage of v8s ever this year without any doubt.
What changed?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 01:43 (Ref:1970703)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ok, i see looking back, my comment as not clear enough.

this year we are getting the best coverage of v8s ever. I very much enjoyed the increased coverage, I have been getting this year. well done Channel 7
Old 23 Jul 2007, 01:52 (Ref:1970707)   #9
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Great coverage here in Melbourne, the home of AFL
Old 23 Jul 2007, 02:32 (Ref:1970719)   #10
just asking
Rookie

just asking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone said

" skaife had a bad pit stop in race two and we were none the wiser?"

I dont know if you watched the same telecast as me, but we saw the pictures of the wheel nut being locked on the the RR.

Furthermore, in between races two and three, Neil Crompton did a pit walk and spoke to team manger Rob Starr, who showed us the offending bit.

Maybe i was watching a different telecast!!
Old 23 Jul 2007, 03:38 (Ref:1970749)   #11
goosel
Rookie

Australia
goosel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar
You clearly weren't in Adelaide this weekend...

Who in their right minds would decide to cut the race at lap 4 for adverts, then return after lap 10... IN BOTH RACES???!!! We missed nearly all the pit stops, not to mention what happened to Skaife in the pits.

The next time they came back from another 10 adverts, there had been a safety car. No explanation really was given, nor a replay.

Other cars all of a sudden had damage after ad breaks, with no explanation.

No Fuso Start Grid was shown, so we couldn't see where everyone was starting in the field.

Very few replays at all were shown.

They are still mixing drivers up (this week, it was mistaking Todd for Lowndes)

And to top it off, they didn't show the podium, only Garth spraying some champagne (not that it really matters, but I thought it was in the contract...)

And what annoys me is that it was a replay, not a live telecast, so you think they would have been able to plan the ads a bit better. But obviously, there must have been an agreement made for them show 10+ ads every 5-10 minutes, regardless of what was happening!

After that pathetic effort by channel 7 in Adelaide, i'm glad to live in Melbourne!

Last edited by goosel; 23 Jul 2007 at 03:40.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 03:40 (Ref:1970752)   #12
Malik
Racer

Malik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau

Terrible cutting of race coverage but good old Channel 7 didn't cut the advertisements!!!!

mike
well they gotta make the money somehow to cover the cost of all this extra sporting they have bought last year...
Old 23 Jul 2007, 03:44 (Ref:1970753)   #13
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik
well they gotta make the money somehow to cover the cost of all this extra sporting they have bought last year...
They also have to pay Cobb & Co. to transport the racing coverage to Adelaide
Old 23 Jul 2007, 03:45 (Ref:1970755)   #14
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I decided not to even bother watching the crap that 7 dished up for Adelaide viewers, and will source the coverage elsewhere.

Able to be paused and watched on demand, no ads, hooray for the internet.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 04:31 (Ref:1970768)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosel
You clearly weren't in Adelaide this weekend...

Who in their right minds would decide to cut the race at lap 4 for adverts, then return after lap 10... IN BOTH RACES???!!! We missed nearly all the pit stops, not to mention what happened to Skaife in the pits.

The next time they came back from another 10 adverts, there had been a safety car. No explanation really was given, nor a replay.

Other cars all of a sudden had damage after ad breaks, with no explanation.

No Fuso Start Grid was shown, so we couldn't see where everyone was starting in the field.

Very few replays at all were shown.

They are still mixing drivers up (this week, it was mistaking Todd for Lowndes)

And to top it off, they didn't show the podium, only Garth spraying some champagne (not that it really matters, but I thought it was in the contract...)

And what annoys me is that it was a replay, not a live telecast, so you think they would have been able to plan the ads a bit better. But obviously, there must have been an agreement made for them show 10+ ads every 5-10 minutes, regardless of what was happening!

After that pathetic effort by channel 7 in Adelaide, i'm glad to live in Melbourne!
It is V8TV who edit the footage ,not 7.

And wasn't it mentioned that it was VESA who worked out the TV arrangements with the AFL?

Either way, it's not all Seven's fault.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 04:31 (Ref:1970769)   #16
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C R A P !

I live in Adelaide, and I randomly guess why cars change position....makes the telecast far more entertaining than just sitting there wondering.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 06:16 (Ref:1970825)   #17
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmciau
Agreed

Skaife has a bad pit row in Race 2 and we are none the wiser!

mike
During the Eastern Creek Race weekend (One where we actually got to see the whole race) Channel 7 had ads every 4 laps without failure (I checked the race lap counter every time) So pretty much thats ads every 6 minutes !!!!! This is what happens when you go to the highest bidder. They have to re-coup their costs at the expense of the coverage.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 08:14 (Ref:1970881)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, not only is motorsport suffering, I like both cars and aust rules. Yet the coverage of assie rules in Brisvegas is , well politely below par.
Yet if you run out and FOX, you will get the best coverage.

Thnaks to money hungry organisations.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 08:23 (Ref:1970890)   #19
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosel
Agreed. The fact that it didn't start till 4:30 is no problem for me, I record it anyway (why watch adverts?). The fact that it wasn't the full races is rather annoying, but life is like that, no big deal. But the fact that they just show systematically selected segments of the races (as opposed to actual highlights) is what grinds my gears. I was bloody exhausted after watching the QR coverage, it is so hard to keep up with what is going on when you don't see any of the leaders pit!
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 10:18 (Ref:1971001)   #20
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
It is V8TV who edit the footage ,not 7.

And wasn't it mentioned that it was VESA who worked out the TV arrangements with the AFL?

Either way, it's not all Seven's fault.
It may not be all Seven's fault, but given that they showed some crap on hurricanes for an hour prior to the AFL, which could have been used for a split coverage of the V8s, certainly makes me want to apportion the majority of the blame on them.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 12:34 (Ref:1971091)   #21
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not Happy Jan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by just asking
Someone said

" skaife had a bad pit stop in race two and we were none the wiser?"

I dont know if you watched the same telecast as me, but we saw the pictures of the wheel nut being locked on the the RR.

Furthermore, in between races two and three, Neil Crompton did a pit walk and spoke to team manger Rob Starr, who showed us the offending bit.

Maybe i was watching a different telecast!!
You were!

Us Adelaide viewers recieved, IMO what can only be called a pitiful broadcast. Channel 7 / V8TV quite clearly didn't attempt to put together a higlights package, but rather cut entire sections out of the race at a time. We missed about 16 laps, from Lap 7 to about Lap 23, in Race 2, which means we pretty much missed all the pitstops, including Skaife's bungled one. We also missed the cause of the safety car period in Race 2 (which was Bargwanna wasn't it?), then they went from about Lap 29 to 34, and showed the finish.

Adbreak.

When the coverage starts again, the cars are on the grid for Race 3. No Rob Starr, no pit walk, no explanation what went wrong (in fact, I don't think it was mentioned at all in the Race 2 what happened to Skaife. I for one was left pondering how he dropped about 10 spots for no apparent reason. Anyway, back to Race 3. We get about the first 8 laps again, then straight to the second restart on Lap 28 odd, Missed the first safety car, missed the second safety car, missed the pitstops, missed Rick Kelly's pit re-entry/ drive through. No explanation for that either! Then suddenly the race is over, no podium (did we even get shown the points?). Just a reminder of Channel 7's Rugby telecast, their Champ Car telecast (both of which recieved full coverage didn't they?), and a reminder of the next round.

Now, even if V8TV were the ones who 'edited' this footage (I wouldn't even call it editing), it was Channel 7's decision to telecast it at the time they did. I would've much preferred to either watch the telecast in full later that night, or to have recorded it. What annoyed me more was the fact that in Channel 7's news that night, they showed highlights from the final to races that we didn't get to see! Now I understand that this package was probably shown on all the news broadcasts- Australia wide- and that they weren't going to change it for us in Adelaide- But it just annoyed me that everyone else go to see this when we didn't.

After all this, all I can say is: Thank the heavens Channel 10 are showing all the AFL finals, which clash with Sandown, and thank them again that there is only Oran Park to show before then!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:03 (Ref:1971118)   #22
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
You were!

Us Adelaide viewers recieved, IMO what can only be called a pitiful broadcast. Channel 7 / V8TV quite clearly didn't attempt to put together a higlights package, but rather cut entire sections out of the race at a time. We missed about 16 laps, from Lap 7 to about Lap 23, in Race 2, which means we pretty much missed all the pitstops, including Skaife's bungled one. We also missed the cause of the safety car period in Race 2 (which was Bargwanna wasn't it?), then they went from about Lap 29 to 34, and showed the finish.

Adbreak.

When the coverage starts again, the cars are on the grid for Race 3. No Rob Starr, no pit walk, no explanation what went wrong (in fact, I don't think it was mentioned at all in the Race 2 what happened to Skaife. I for one was left pondering how he dropped about 10 spots for no apparent reason. Anyway, back to Race 3. We get about the first 8 laps again, then straight to the second restart on Lap 28 odd, Missed the first safety car, missed the second safety car, missed the pitstops, missed Rick Kelly's pit re-entry/ drive through. No explanation for that either! Then suddenly the race is over, no podium (did we even get shown the points?). Just a reminder of Channel 7's Rugby telecast, their Champ Car telecast (both of which recieved full coverage didn't they?), and a reminder of the next round.

Now, even if V8TV were the ones who 'edited' this footage (I wouldn't even call it editing), it was Channel 7's decision to telecast it at the time they did. I would've much preferred to either watch the telecast in full later that night, or to have recorded it. What annoyed me more was the fact that in Channel 7's news that night, they showed highlights from the final to races that we didn't get to see! Now I understand that this package was probably shown on all the news broadcasts- Australia wide- and that they weren't going to change it for us in Adelaide- But it just annoyed me that everyone else go to see this when we didn't.

After all this, all I can say is: Thank the heavens Channel 10 are showing all the AFL finals, which clash with Sandown, and thank them again that there is only Oran Park to show before then!
Agreed, it was hopeless.
It doesn't annoy that everyone else got to see it, without that I'd still not have half my questions I had after the round answered. But it does annoy me that there continues to be a reason Adelaide cant see what other states can.... we all have 24 hours in the day to telecast.... and they buggered Winton the same way.

Before enduros though, It seems Oran Park will also be ruined buddy, possibly a 2 hour package at midnight - I'm thinking this is Saturdays action, so possibly not as screwed up as QR telecast, but again not the complete package as say Sydney will see.

Even if they give the opportunity to stay up late or tape the entire round of qual and racing, anything than cut to pieces telecasts. Almost worth not bothering and just show a highlights reel in the late news if you are gonna destroy the race like that.

Not to mention that the action missed was championship changing stuff

**** Poor.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:12 (Ref:1971124)   #23
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wish Ch7 would simply follow Ch10's format. Forget screening the support races on race day and please get to the main event! Surely the Carrera Cup and FF races could be televised a week later?
Old 23 Jul 2007, 13:47 (Ref:1971160)   #24
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or if they are going to butcher it for AFL, which I understand there is a financial basis for that decision, why can't they show us the same coverage that everyone else gets, but in the middle of the night? I'd rather get the whole thing delayed, that you can tape and still follow, rather than a rushed mish-mash that doesn't make any sense!

It sux that we get better coverage of NASCAR in Adelaide than we do of V8 Supercars. At least we have the option of getting Foxtel here, and therefore seeing everything that happens in Busch Series & Nextel Cup. Once upon a time we could also get repeats of the V8s on Foxtel, but not any more.

And I don't count Carrera Cup & FFord as V8 Supercar coverage either. Don't tell us you are improving V8 Supercar coverage and then show us a whole heap of stuff that isn't V8's. Not saying they shouldn't be televised, just don't call it V8 Supercar coverage.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 21:08 (Ref:1971495)   #25
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting reading. I deduce from the above that the UK is part of South Australia, since that sounds like exactly the same show we got. I actually rewound the recording to see how I missed the reason for the safety car, before realizing they hadn't shown it.