Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 19 May 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2206422)   #1
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
prototype should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed TV coverage of Le Mans

I have just checked the guide on Speed's website. It looks like they are only only showing from 8:30 AM (eastern) till noon, then they are breaking away for 9 hours to show Nascar and Craftsmen trucks.

Is this a mistake on the website, or are we really missing an entire third of the race?
Old 19 May 2008, 13:36 (Ref:2206467)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The onscreen graphic during last night's ALMS race mentioned those times too.

You'll have to find a hooky internet feed of the european coverage....
Old 19 May 2008, 14:31 (Ref:2206498)   #3
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As usual SPEED will be ignoring the fact that the most important auto race in the world will be taking place. Does anyone recall when they had the "Grand Slam of Endurance Racing"? They would show the whole race, and go up to an hour at a time without commercial interruption. 24 Hours of Daytona, 12 Hours of Sebring, 24 Hours of Le Mans, and Petit Le Mans. Oh, but wait, then they were bought by FOX... Let's take a moment to see what fine programming, what essential motor racing events will be pre-empting the Le Mans coverage:

NASCAR practice...
MORE NASCAR practice...
NASCAR Trucks...
Tradin' Paint (People talking about NASCAR)...
NASCAR performance...
Lexus Test Drive (Tommy Kendall spending 30 minutes rhapsodising about the newest Lexus vehicle)...
Motorcycle Ice Racing...
Stars of Karting (Ex-Champ Car drivers race karts)...

Now who the hell would want to watch Le Mans? I think it's fairly obvious that SPEED has made the correct choice, because I don't think I could go through the day without knowing what Tony Stewart had for breakfast that morning...
Old 19 May 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2206544)   #4
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Damn, thats worse than the last few years. At least when it was US GP weekend as well they had quali in the middle of the LM show and then one NASCAR event but 9 hours is excessive. Especially given the amount of work they are doing online and in the weeks before the race. Can't they just bite the bullet and lose some money if they have to for one weekend of the year and move NASCAR over to FX, or just NOT COVER practice every time they are on track. And we don't even get RLM overnight anymore, much better sound through the digital cable than the computer connection.

Anybody know if SPEED is picking up an HD feed for LM? Don't have SPEED HD yet with Comcast but I keep requesting about every week or so.
Old 19 May 2008, 15:33 (Ref:2206551)   #5
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
Anybody know if SPEED is picking up an HD feed for LM? Don't have SPEED HD yet with Comcast but I keep requesting about every week or so.
According to the schedule on SPEED's site, it will be in HD. I'm in the same boat with Comcast...hoping that will change by LM because man would I like to see the Peugeots in HD!
Old 19 May 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2206569)   #6
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
Please feel free to tell Speed what you think about thier coverage.

http://www.speedtv.com/feedback
Old 19 May 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2206572)   #7
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nevermind, proto beat me to it. wasnt sure if i could post the link but I send that an email once a week
Old 19 May 2008, 16:31 (Ref:2206589)   #8
Holt
Veteran

United States
Holt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm a fan of NASCAR, but why are they breaking away for 2.5 hours of daytime racing of the biggest sports car race to show 2 sessions of NASCAR practice?

Then 1 hour of Craftsman truck series pre race shows, then the Truck race which I can understand, but back again to lucas oil on the edge for one hour. Who watches that for one hour?

And then from 8 - 9 pm est there is an unscheduled show.

I can understand an hour of final Cup practice and a 2 hour truck race, but the rest of the lineup should in no way be there, Speed should cut back to Le Mans instead of showing prerace shows etc.

Oh my, a 2 minute horse race gets 10 hours of prerace shows on another network but we can only see 2/3 of the greatest sports car race

will there be a live motorsTV feed on the internet?
Old 19 May 2008, 18:30 (Ref:2206678)   #9
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt

will there be a live motorsTV feed on the internet?
Motors has lost the rights, but I think Eurosport are streaming it at Eurosport.com.

...and I wonder whether Speedtv.com might do something similar.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2206710)   #10
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Eurosport will have full online streaming of everything, complete with commentary, so dont worry at all. This is awful though, I mean this is shaping up to be one of the finest races since 1999 and to miss a 9 hour chunk is pretty bad. Maybe it will be in HD, though. If it is, Directv might be a neccessity. Anyways though, were all complaining about this coverage, and rightly so, but think about it in the 1980s, when ESPN showed what, a half hour on each end. I was watching a youtube video of the 1989 24 hours of le mans and ESPN had some Le Mans hotline where you had to pay to get hourly updates, lol. But yeah, Lexus Test Drive, NCTS Setup, and Nascar Performance and Tradin Paint are inexcusable reasons to miss a race that as Bob Varsha said in 1989 "can only be compared to the Indy 500."
Old 19 May 2008, 19:36 (Ref:2206713)   #11
prototype
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, Georgia
I hope someone will be nice enough to post the live streams. Everytime I try to get a live stream by click through eurosport, it says I am outside of their region.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:38 (Ref:2206719)   #12
supermario21
Racer

supermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsupermario21 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
check the MMS link. someone has always posted it for the LMS races. Then use the VLC media player. Going through Eurosport itself will get you a region restriction unless you use a proxy server based in Europe.
Old 19 May 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2206749)   #13
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Ok, I know that this is going to sound like a stupid question (and it probably is), but where can one find the mms link?
Old 19 May 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2206784)   #14
supermario21
Racer

someone usually posts it but id think you can right click the video and highlight properties or something like that. however for all three LMS races someone has posted the MMS on here.
Old 19 May 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2206913)   #15
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype

done
Old 20 May 2008, 02:21 (Ref:2206970)   #16
Dyson20
Rookie

Dyson20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype

I gave them a piece of my mind.
Old 20 May 2008, 07:20 (Ref:2207035)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not too big I hope, remember, charity begins at home.........
Old 20 May 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2207084)   #18
kbeech
Rookie

United States
Alexandria, VA
kbeech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Lasts years coverage was in the 17-19 hour range on SpeedTV, which was pretty good.

sigh This NASCAR garbage gets on my nerves. Practice?? practice! Sheesh!
Old 20 May 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2207272)   #19
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps the contract that Speed have with NASCAR means they have to show all the practice sessions. Do they always show them, anyone know?
Old 20 May 2008, 12:22 (Ref:2207286)   #20
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah they do. However, no other races should be run on the weekend of Le Mans. AANNDD any major series worth a hoot should send one team to Le Mans. ...02:00 - pitlane, lights flash as a Corvette approaches its pit stall, on the side Lowes-Dupont sponsorship Jr. is getting out to hand over to Gordon... A boy can dream...

Chris
Old 20 May 2008, 12:29 (Ref:2207289)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbeech
Lasts years coverage was in the 17-19 hour range on SpeedTV, which was pretty good.

sigh This NASCAR garbage gets on my nerves. Practice?? practice! Sheesh!
Well, we need to be careful not to offend our NASCAR fans here....

I remember when I first went to Le Mans - particularly in 1988 when the Jaguar win barely rated moments on the TV - some things don't change.

I turned the tele on at the weekend and was greeted with the Moto GP from Le Mans. I threw things at the screen every time I saw them round the right hander after the Dunlop Bridge............
Old 20 May 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2207294)   #22
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckosaurus
Perhaps the contract that Speed have with NASCAR means they have to show all the practice sessions. Do they always show them, anyone know?
Yea, they are pretty much under contract to inundate the public with un-warranted amouts of NASCAR related programming. Perhaps their contract should state that they will air all of the NASCAR practice sessions unless a highly important motorsport event supercedes their importance. There has to be a limit to the extent of their NASCAR coverage.
Old 20 May 2008, 12:43 (Ref:2207304)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Why? If they have a contract which brings in the filthy lucre that says they air NASCAR come what may...... Who knows?

Its easy to imagine these things the other way around, but few of us do. What if they were faced with a NASCAR raced being interrupted by Le Mans? The good ol' boys would be pretty miffed, I guess......
Old 20 May 2008, 13:01 (Ref:2207328)   #24
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Why? If they have a contract which brings in the filthy lucre that says they air NASCAR come what may...... Who knows?

Its easy to imagine these things the other way around, but few of us do. What if they were faced with a NASCAR raced being interrupted by Le Mans? The good ol' boys would be pretty miffed, I guess......
If it were a NASCAR RACE, I would understand and agree with their decision. To be honest, I follow and enjoy NASCAR racing, as well as almost all forms of motorsport. The point is that it's two practice sessions and two shows where the crew analyses and prognosticates on NASCAR (and then some other crap that I'm not even sure why it's on TV to begin with). I have no problem with them airing the truck race at 3:00, and I'll probably watch at least some of it, but all of the other programming is laughable and insulting to sports car fans. Looking at it the other way around, imagine if they interrupted the Daytona 500 for ALMS practice...
Old 20 May 2008, 14:28 (Ref:2207405)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Well, we need to be careful not to offend our NASCAR fans here....
i'm a NASCAR fan and i think it is ludicrous not to FULLY cover other important events, such as Le Mans, like they once did. like mattcatt said, no race fan anywhere wants coverage stopped for another event, no matter what.

SPEED TV , hmmmph.
FOX has plenty of other channels they can utilize for NASCAR, i mean !!

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 20 May 2008 at 14:32.