Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 14 May 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2202468)   #1
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver changes afoot in WSR?

Just like the recent driver changes in GP2, it looks like the WSR field will undergo a few tweaks before the next round in Monaco.

It has come out today that Borja Garcia may be about to lose his seat at RC Motorsport, and from the article below it sounds to me like he has some sort of sponsorship problems:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/67421

At Fortec Motorsport, Julian Theobald has been on a race-by-race deal so far this season, but apparently the team have been in talks with Andy Soucek and he could be in the car from Monaco onwards. The only slight problem with the deal is that as Soucek was the official development driver for the new WSR car, Fortec would have to gain permission from the other 12 teams in order to run him.

http://www.italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=18998&cat=5
Old 14 May 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2202517)   #2
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would be a shame to lose Garcia, as I'm a big fan of his. From what I've read so far (race reports in Autosport), he's had a pretty poor start to the season though, so perhaps someone's who has watched the races can shine a bit more light on this.
Old 15 May 2008, 00:17 (Ref:2202634)   #3
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
OJB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there was me thinking WSR would have some kind of driver stability this year with no Eurointernational in the field...

Seriously though, I really hope Soucek gets in at Fortec. The team seem to be on the fringes of becoming proper front runners and Soucek is a far better driver than his treatment at FMS in GP2 deserved. Its not too late to catch up either!
Old 16 May 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2204052)   #4
sauber11
Racer

Russian Federation
sauber11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://italiaracing.net/notizia.asp?id=19138&cat=5
Fauzy drives Fortec at monaco.
Old 21 May 2008, 03:21 (Ref:2207943)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne
Would be a shame to lose Garcia.
didnt garcia finish 2nd to danielsson in 2006 - he shouldnt even be racing in this series IMO, should've progressed surely
Old 21 May 2008, 08:28 (Ref:2208077)   #6
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well if you would fund him a GP2 drive he surely would not object. He obviously does WS again to stay in the picture.
Old 21 May 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2208138)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
so his funding only gets him so far does it??? how many years has he been racing in wsr i wonder
Old 21 May 2008, 11:50 (Ref:2208221)   #8
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has the career path of a ping-pong ball, 05 in GP2, 06 in WSR, 07 in GP2 and 08 in WSR
Old 21 May 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2208227)   #9
GroupOfOne
Racer

Garcia's done two years in GP2 (2005 & 2007) with the year in between in WSR with RC Motorsport, so yeah he certainly seems to have reached a ceiling.

In '06 when he came 2nd (5pts behind Danielsson) he did manage to finish ahead of Maldonado, Soucek, Parente, Hanley, Valsecchi and Vettel, but they all seem to be moving in the opposite direction to him now.

He was linked with a Williams test drive role earlier this year (perhaps through being a former Toyota favourite?), but nothing seemed to come of that.
Old 21 May 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2208289)   #10
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Maybe it's time to bout tin-tops for him? ;-)
Old 21 May 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2208363)   #11
GroupOfOne
Racer

Nah I reckon he'll end up in GTs before tin-tops. Could be quite good in a prototype at Le Mans, with some experience.
Old 21 May 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2208460)   #12
WSR Fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
WSR Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne
Nah I reckon he'll end up in GTs before tin-tops. Could be quite good in a prototype at Le Mans, with some experience.
Yeah, I'm sure that Epsilon Euskadi wouldn't mind another decent Spanish driver in one of their EE1 coupes.

While I'm on here, anyone else received their Silverstone WSR tickets yet? Mine came through last Saturday
Old 21 May 2008, 17:39 (Ref:2208470)   #13
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Got'em m8, been waiting 1.5 months.
Old 21 May 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2208473)   #14
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes WSR, Mine hit my door mat monday morning
Old 21 May 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2208538)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Just a hunch, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Esteban Guerrieri driving for Ultimate Signature (or whatever they're called) at Monaco.
Old 22 May 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2209274)   #16
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
I feel sorry for Garcia. I think he is really underrated. Everyone was waxing lyrical about Karun Chandhok at Durango, but while he did win at Spa, Garcia finished the season 10th overall after scoring in nine of the races.

Think he is GP2 material, which is why I'm a bit mystified he's been well off so far this year, particularly as he paced testing.
Old 30 May 2008, 01:08 (Ref:2215023)   #17
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
italiaracing announce Guerreri driving for Ultimate in WSR, they are not sure instead of who it will be (Carbone or Cantelli)
Old 30 May 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2215178)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I hope it's not Carbone, but I have a feeling it will be unless they want two experienced drivers?
Old 30 May 2008, 12:25 (Ref:2215280)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Surely it's better to have two experienced drivers? I doubt it will be Fabio as he was still hanging out with the Ultimate F3 team on Wednesday.
Old 30 May 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2215340)   #20
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJB
I feel sorry for Garcia. I think he is really underrated. Everyone was waxing lyrical about Karun Chandhok at Durango, but while he did win at Spa, Garcia finished the season 10th overall after scoring in nine of the races.

Think he is GP2 material, which is why I'm a bit mystified he's been well off so far this year, particularly as he paced testing.
I have to say, I completely agree with you. I think he was definately the faster (or at least more reliable) of the Durango pair last year, and why Chandhok was moved to iSport while Garcia was dropped is a mystery. (Well, I'd say it was 90% down to Chandhok's nationality, which is hardly fair).

As for his performance this year, my guess: A crushed spirit.

He's already done it in WSR. Why do it again?
Old 30 May 2008, 15:10 (Ref:2215374)   #21
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Maybe he didn't have other options? Maybe wanted to rebuild that spirit and come back to GP2 again next year? Do not know, he came back. IMO he should be retained for the remainder of the season, or at least taken over by another team. I doubt he can pay for a drive in LMS or FIA GT this year. It's better to wait for 2009 and try to get a contract. I am sure, because of a nationality and racing craft he'll find a paid work in PROTO/TCC. And mark my word, he will come back this year with strong results if he get chance.

Chandhok career rolls because of his nationality IMO, because of his natonality Red Bull signed him up probably because of his nationality he'll race in F1 in the next two years.
Old 30 May 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2215480)   #22
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Anyway, it's Tappy and Alcaraz.
Old 30 May 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2215558)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
I have to say, I completely agree with you. I think he was definately the faster (or at least more reliable) of the Durango pair last year, and why Chandhok was moved to iSport while Garcia was dropped is a mystery. (Well, I'd say it was 90% down to Chandhok's nationality, which is hardly fair).
I think is not so much a mistery why GarcÃ*a isn't in GP2, specially when has no more the support he had before. Now is harder to him to find a place there.
Old 30 May 2008, 20:15 (Ref:2215562)   #24
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by META4
italiaracing announce Guerreri driving for Ultimate in WSR, they are not sure instead of who it will be (Carbone or Cantelli)
Well, I'm quite amused for the news about Tebby, but still have to see him racing in the Ultimate/Signature Dallara to believe it fully.

I'm with chunterer about Fabio Carbone, the Brazilian also did a similar role years before, when he tested the SLC chassis in the F3 Euroseries. But we have to see more his motivation, previous results and inner panorama in depth to consider if he or Cantelli would be the one who could left the place in favour of Guerrieri.
Old 30 May 2008, 22:48 (Ref:2215634)   #25
OJB
Veteran

United Kingdom
Think its pretty certain Guerrieri will be in Ultimate Signature at Silverstone, especially if you read the comment about him 'moving on to exciting new challenges' in the Ultimate F3 press release... Really hope its alongside Carbone though...

As for Tappy, if that report is true then I'm glad he has the chance to prove himself, but it is a shame it seems to be at the expense of Garcia. Hopefully he might re-appear later in the season with someone else.

Tags
formula renault 3.5, world series by renault