Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Dec 2011, 16:19 (Ref:3001910)   #1201
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
Indeed, a next tweet suggests a LMP2 confirmation:
Level 5 with 2 cars for sure, or Black Swan makes a chassis/engine choice?
Old 19 Dec 2011, 17:44 (Ref:3001943)   #1202
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't imagine BSR have had time to get in a Lola to test it, yet. Of course, if they want a car delivered in January they better get on their horse making a selection.

If the announcement isn't Level 5 saying "Oh alright, that's enough competition for us, we're in for the season!" I imagine it is Muscle Milk announcing their program.

Of course there still are question marks as to Dyson Racing. They may be announcing their upgrade to B12/60s or who their non-Oryx second car will be filled with. Pure-dreaming-speculation: Could Dyson be where Dr. McDreamy goes? I imagine he would want Dempsey Racing to run his ALMS program, but maybe 2012 is a toe in the water for him too, and then 2013 Dempsey Racing/Silicon Tech goes LMP2 racing with two Lolas?

Chris
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:04 (Ref:3002014)   #1203
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
If THIS is to believed, Drayson will be in the ALMS next year.

I have been told that this isn't true though... We shall see.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:12 (Ref:3002020)   #1204
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
I have been told that this isn't true though... We shall see.
I'll add this to the "I'll believe it when I see it" list. Even if it does run, it will be unclassified. On top of that, wasn't it said that the electric Lola would only be set for "time attack" mode (qualifying only) and not racing initially? So what would the point be exactly? Try to match/beat the times of existing cars? And I say this somewhat jokingly, but where would the restrictor go?

Quote:
How will car be charged and how long will it run before it needs charging?

The car will be charged on charging pads that will be available in the pit garage. The initial target is for the car to be used for short “time attack” runs and not for racing and has been designed to optimise its “qualifying” performance.
http://www.lolacars.com/newsstory.asp?NewsId=360
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:26 (Ref:3002023)   #1205
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
John Dagys is building up tension even more (from Twitter):

Not another confirmation of an already rumored program then, could we see something big like Audi coming back???

EDIT: it could be Muscle Milk´s HPD, we´ll see...
Muscle Milk Goes With HPD For 2012
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:33 (Ref:3002026)   #1206
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I guess the worst kept secret is now revealed. Aside from the obvious, Graf and Luhr will be back and will joined by a new 3rd driver (perhaps an HPD driver like M.Franchitti or Pagenaud). It looks like Pickett is stepping away from doing racing for now (not driving the LMPC either), but may test the car. Also, it looks like Pickett is getting involved in AMA motorcycle racing with Honda as well.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:48 (Ref:3002038)   #1207
Nick6
Racer

United States
Nick6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Muscle Milk sponsored Joe Gibbs SX/MX race team last season.
Old 19 Dec 2011, 22:52 (Ref:3002041)   #1208
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yup, got carried away a bit, was hoping for more...
Old 20 Dec 2011, 00:23 (Ref:3002067)   #1209
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The best new is this is a multi-year deal, with Dyson potentially upgrading to 2012 Lola's, and the growth in P2 and LMPC, there's some momentum building.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Dec 2011 at 00:32.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 00:45 (Ref:3002071)   #1210
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
The best new is this is a multi-year deal, with Dyson potentially upgrading to 2012 Lola's, and the growth in P2 and LMPC, there's some momentum building.
Yup, getting to be a really nice expensive club racing series.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 00:56 (Ref:3002073)   #1211
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well, considering that BMW and Jaguar will likely be gone from the series in the next few years and there appears to be zero manufacturer ALMS LMP interest, this may be the future for the series sadly.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:01 (Ref:3002075)   #1212
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally, I think its a good thing the series is predominantly privateer led for a while and gains momentum among teams like BSR, Conquest and Muscle Milk. I'd like for this series to be sustainable on privateers so that if/when manufacturers do come in, it only adds to the show rather than the series depending on them for the show.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:05 (Ref:3002076)   #1213
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Personally, I think its a good thing the series is predominantly privateer led for a while and gains momentum among teams like BSR, Conquest and Muscle Milk. I'd like for this series to be sustainable on privateers so that if/when manufacturers do come in, it only adds to the show rather than the series depending on them for the show.
The issue with such a plan, is that it will deteriorate in attendance, and viewership, making the likelihood of any manufacturer return less and less likely as time goes by. Essentially this will become much the same as PSCR was. Without new ownership, and a shakeup, this is dead. Dead as we've come to know it, not as in completely gone away.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:25 (Ref:3002083)   #1214
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
The issue with such a plan, is that it will deteriorate in attendance, and viewership, making the likelihood of any manufacturer return less and less likely as time goes by. Essentially this will become much the same as PSCR was. Without new ownership, and a shakeup, this is dead. Dead as we've come to know it, not as in completely gone away.
I agree with this overall, especially with the current inept management and ownership group. However, I do think that a manufacturer supported but privateer led series could work. It would need clever marketing, promoting and strategic thinking for it work. We all know the missteps ALMS leadership has taken over the years. Overvaluing themselves in title sponsor negotiations, competing with teams for sponsors, general stinginess with their teams (coverage fees and lack of prize money), lack of PR and marketing vision, media package issues and a general lack of seeing anything beyond the short-term bottom line.

Correct some of these and you provide much better ROI for both manufacturers and privateers. The manufacturers will continue to be fickle coming and going but you will always have a good base of privateers to get you through. Had ALMS thought this way in 2006-2008 when it was in such a strong postion maybe we wouldn't be celebrating 3 competitive P1s and 4 full time P2s now. It is good news about Muscle Milk though, between this and the P2 announcements, perhaps some momentum despite the management?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:32 (Ref:3002086)   #1215
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Let's see where the real numbers end up. If we talked about the grids right now, it looks like we are down one LMP1, with Cytosport, 2 Dyson, losing Autocon. In LMP2, we had Level 5 x2 to start the year... it seems we gain two, maybe three. So, in the top two classes, we seem to have likely gained one or two entries.

In GT, we lose Risi, and likely RSR Jag, Robertsons.. so net down five.

Overall, it looks like a loss of entries in the ACO categories... Not sure if that is the momentum we were looking for. Of course, that could change by the start of the season...
Old 20 Dec 2011, 01:42 (Ref:3002090)   #1216
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I'll add this to the "I'll believe it when I see it" list. Even if it does run, it will be unclassified. On top of that, wasn't it said that the electric Lola would only be set for "time attack" mode (qualifying only) and not racing initially? So what would the point be exactly? Try to match/beat the times of existing cars? And I say this somewhat jokingly, but where would the restrictor go?
That was good! Anyways, I would be more than happy to see them show up, even if it was just for qualifying.

Also, last year I think Mr. Atherton mentioned something about a CNG car racing in the near future. Does anybody know anything about that?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:09 (Ref:3002094)   #1217
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
If the ALMS is expensive club racing, every sportscar series since the dawn of time is too.

There will be a minimum of seven new P1/P2 chassis on the grid, that's real investment in classes it was said had no future this time last year, in addition LMPC has grown to be an interesting class in itself, featuring teams with plans to progress.

Factory teams aren't going to parachute in and race amongst themselves, it takes time to re-build, if there's similar growth this time next year, you may see the first signs of Honda stepping up their support for Muscle Milk to counter potential increased P1 competition, from there we'll have to see where it take us.

On the GT side this is the last year for GTC, I think GTE-Am will be introduced as it's replacement, I also believe the series will be given freedom to homologate certain GT3 models in addition to the R8, if there's sufficient interest, i.e the SLS, Z4 and GT-R.

Only when you have a strong foundation with privateers investing in new machinery, and stakes being raised, will manufactuers take a closer look.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Dec 2011 at 02:25.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 02:35 (Ref:3002097)   #1218
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
If the ALMS is expensive club racing, every sportscar series since the dawn of time is too.
What? You've got exactly one car with an all pro lineup in LMP's.

Try to spin this with whatever rose coloured glasses you've got, but it is what it is.

As recently as a few years ago, we had as many as 11 regular season full pro lineups. That was hardly club racing. That was pro racing at it's best.

Quote:
There will be a minimum of seven new P1/P2 chassis on the grid, that's real investment in classes it was said had no future this time last year, in addition LMPC has grown to be an interesting class in itself, featuring teams with plans to progress.
Wow, Lola, Oak... that'll really bring in the people to the track...it is irrelevant what people spend, it's how marketable things are.

Quote:
On the GT side this is the last year for GTC, I think GTE-Am will be introduced as it's replacement, I also believe the series will be given freedom to homologate certain GT3 models in addition to the R8, if there's sufficient interest, i.e the SLS, Z4 and GT-R.
Sure.. we'll get a bunch more privateers driving stuff around. Meanwhile the Pro Risi teams exits, the pro BMW factory exits.... It becomes more amateur hour.

Quote:
Only when you have a strong foundation with privateers investing in new machinery, and stakes being raised, will manufactuers take a closer look.
The business side is still a complete mystery? I can just see Audi NA saying... hey look, that series has no ROI, has fewer and fewer fans watching, and attending... but it has a strong foundation of privateers, let's race there. Completely ludicrous. PLM attendance for one, will be a disaster year/year...

The two keys for future success, are the strength of the premier categories, that the factories might be interested in. LMP1 shows no growth, but new chassis, GT(E) shows shrinkage. AFAIK, Corvette Racing's budget is approved to the end of next year... Lose them, along with Risi and BMW... and that is possible, and you've got a pretty sad series.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 04:00 (Ref:3002106)   #1219
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I haven't seen concrete numbers on television (and combined television and streaming) numbers on the ALMS but I can assume the ratings have dropped. At-track attendance however, I've heard no stories to indicate that numbers are dropping.

Petit risks losing some of the crowd without the big factory teams, but the rain-forced cancellation also risked killing the crowd but 2010 and 2011 were still well-attended races.

As you say (Fogelhund), it is what it is, and you have to appreciate that LMP2 is starting to attract attention (and at the race track it still features big transporters and cool looking, fast cars). The series needs the amateur base, especially right now when there is no incentive for the factory teams to come back.

We all know that 2008 is dead and gone and not coming back anytime soon, but it is what it is. You play with the cards you are dealt? Could the series have done things to improve circumstances? Were their bandaids better than one or both of the spec classes? Yes. But 2010 was like almost a "Best Of" compilation album for the ALMS, Porsches, Acuras, great GT racing, V8 powered prototypes, plenty of Porsches in the bottom class, 2011 featured an average grid of over 30 cars.

The ALMS is sticking to the side of the ACO, even though it is auto racing's version of an abusive marriage. However there is still potential that factories will come back, consistency is the key (stable rules). The ALMS wasn't particularly visible when Audi committed to the championship in 1999-2000. If the rules make sense, the series will gain its big money players back.

Would I like to see the Panoz group spend more money on marketing the series? Yes. But Don wants the thing to stand on its own. It is what it is. It's not 2008 anymore, but it's not dissimilar to 2005, plus there are more live races on television in 2012 than there were in 2011, so you keep pushing forward.

In 2008 the ALMS should have jumped on the GT bandwagon, in 2011 they should jump on the LMP2 bandwagon, but these things ebb and flow in motor sport (unless you are Formula 1).

No one is denying the ALMS dropped the ball pretty bad heading into the "great recession". It went from the darling of the motor sport world and IndyCar/Champ Car's replacement as America's #2 pro racing series.

If anyone has access to the data, I would like to see race-to-race eyeballs on the 2008 TV broadcasts and 2011 combined streams/tape-delayed-truncated broadcasts.

It'll be a long road back to the big time at this stage for the ALMS, hopefully it can survive and rebuild. (And hopefully it builds a strong privateer base - which in sports cars includes amateurs - and hopefully it also rebuilds its ladder series and support series to entertain fans and develop American talent for the big series.)

Chris
Old 20 Dec 2011, 15:15 (Ref:3002259)   #1220
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Some random browsing while rewatching Le Mans '01 and a bit about the Corvette C5.R engines led me to this:

http://www.katechengines.com/motor-s...s-series-lmp2/

Don't know how old the page is, but... has there been any word about any team considering this?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 15:29 (Ref:3002273)   #1221
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Since Muscle Milk Pickett moved to HPD, will Lola-Aston Martin protos run next year?
Old 20 Dec 2011, 16:07 (Ref:3002294)   #1222
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Since Muscle Milk Pickett moved to HPD, will Lola-Aston Martin protos run next year?

Doesn't look like it.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 16:19 (Ref:3002301)   #1223
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
as far i know, no teams are intersted and if someone will be, an aero and bodywork update will be required (fin and fenders most of all).
Old 20 Dec 2011, 16:34 (Ref:3002303)   #1224
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
as far i know, no teams are intersted and if someone will be, an aero and bodywork update will be required (fin and fenders most of all).
In theory, but if someone had one, and wanted to run, the ALMS would likely let them without the changes.
Old 20 Dec 2011, 18:59 (Ref:3002369)   #1225
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
What? You've got exactly one car with an all pro lineup in LMP's.

Try to spin this with whatever rose coloured glasses you've got, but it is what it is.

As recently as a few years ago, we had as many as 11 regular season full pro lineups. That was hardly club racing. That was pro racing at it's best.

Wow, Lola, Oak... that'll really bring in the people to the track...it is irrelevant what people spend, it's how marketable things are.

Sure.. we'll get a bunch more privateers driving stuff around. Meanwhile the Pro Risi teams exits, the pro BMW factory exits.... It becomes more amateur hour.

The business side is still a complete mystery? I can just see Audi NA saying... hey look, that series has no ROI, has fewer and fewer fans watching, and attending... but it has a strong foundation of privateers, let's race there. Completely ludicrous. PLM attendance for one, will be a disaster year/year...

The two keys for future success, are the strength of the premier categories, that the factories might be interested in. LMP1 shows no growth, but new chassis, GT(E) shows shrinkage. AFAIK, Corvette Racing's budget is approved to the end of next year... Lose them, along with Risi and BMW... and that is possible, and you've got a pretty sad series.
The norm for the ALMS is not all pro line-ups throughout the field, it's a couple of factory Audi's with a valiant effort from Dyson keeping things interesting, a GT1 field consisting of Corvette and the odd Saleen/Maserati, and GT2 resembling a Porsche Cup. As you regularly state, TV ratings were in decline when the series was at it's LMP peak in 2006-8, so other issues are major factors.

The series almost went to the wall, it's a pipe dream to expect full fields of factory and all-pro crews, the series needs time to find it's feet, priority number one being to build up it's LMP field. By it's very nature P2 and LMPC are pro/am, but they're exactly what the ALMS needs to combat GA DP's and give privateers a stable, affordable route into LMP, who once acclimatised can look to make the next step.

The series has a leg up on GA through the ACO link, potential ALMS entrants such as Audi, Porsche, Honda and Toyota are already in the sport, it's a case of the series making themselves an attractive proposition, stage one of which is healthy, competitive classes. I watched BPR GT grow from a motley grid of single make cars and odd-balls into the ultimate factory GT1 battle, it would still be thriving today if Ratel had ditched the production pretense in '96, and moved swiftly to the ACO LMGTP/LMP900 structure.

The ALMS is starting from a significantly higher base, IMO it looks to have turned a corner, two years on from a real worry it could crash. Last season Muscle Milk and Dyson were in a holding pattern, they could easily have packed up and made a fresh start in GA in 2012, instead we see both with multi-year ALMS commitments with all new chassis, while the joke that was P2 will be hotly contested and attractive for teams evaluating the series. GTE is the only class with question marks, that was predicted two years back, BMW dip in and out of series while RISI have a great PR team putting forward their case, but I can't be the only one who thinks they have an over inflated opinion of their importance, with rumours of the Viper, Mclaren and GT3 models, the class still has potential for factories and privateers.

If you buy into ACO racing the WEC cannot be seen as a rival, rather a business necessity, expectations for the ALMS need to adjust. Far from having a downer, 2012 looks set to be the most promising season for some time, there's a more even spread of entrants across classes, and the fact we no longer read anyone seriously questioning the series future or arguing for a GT only series is progress in my mind.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Dec 2011 at 19:12.