Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Aug 2013, 19:23 (Ref:3288076)   #1
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lawrence Gibson Metro 6R4

Just spotted this being shared around on Facebook, so I'm sure most of you have seen it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/METRO-6R4-...item338471c9ee

...Lawrence Gibson Metro 6R4 for sale. It seemed unlikely that we'd see this car again in Supercars, but I had been hoping that Gibson would bring it out for the Retro Championship, guess that's not going to happen now.
Old 10 Aug 2013, 20:16 (Ref:3288095)   #2
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One of my dream cars when I was growing up. I'd buy that with no second thoughts if I could.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 10 Aug 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3288121)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
A fantastic car - one of the best sounding cars I've ever had the pleasure to see / hear. I suspect it'll end up as a rally car rather than continuing to be used in rallycross.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 10:23 (Ref:3288728)   #4
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that someone in the rallycross community has got enough loose change to buy it. As much as I love rallying this iconic car needs to stay in rallycross - and its not a bad price given its competition history.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 10:33 (Ref:3288739)   #5
rx-guru
Veteran

European Union
Western Lower Rhine area of Germany
rx-guru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
I just hope that someone in the rallycross community has got enough loose change to buy it. As much as I love rallying this iconic car needs to stay in rallycross - and its not a bad price given its competition history.
If a Rallycross car has a Rally history it will eventually get into the hands of someone who re-converts it. But the Franz Wurz/Andy Bentza Lancia Stratos HF 3.0 for example, btw the only 3 litre Stratos in the World (thanks to Mike Parkes and an experimental crankshaft from the Lancia factory), has nothing else ever done but Rallycross. Currently its being under re-build to its 1976 specs, the year when Wurz claimed his second ERC title with it. Maybe Goodwood 2014...
Old 12 Aug 2013, 20:05 (Ref:3288971)   #6
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It must have had a new shell after it's huge shunt and roll at Lydden in 2006ish.
Old 12 Aug 2013, 20:54 (Ref:3288995)   #7
tea boy shirley
Rookie

tea boy shirley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to change the subject!!!..Practica Nova driver?

Sorry to change the subject but I know one of you guys will know the answer to this........who was the driver of the practica sponsored nova (alongside steve palmer) from the old nova challenge series circa 1991? .....My uncle Terry Briggs used to help with the car and Nick (Briggs) and I have been trying to remember the blokes name for nearly a week now.........any ideas anyone? ......p.s yes I really hope LG's 6R4 finds its way back into RX, no one went round the shale at lydden better than Gibson in that thing (pre joker lap Armco)
Old 12 Aug 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3289011)   #8
silver bullet
Race Official
RallyCross Legend and Scourge of Top Gear Presenters
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IIRC, the driver of the Practica Nova was Derek Lightfoot, and I think he was the owner of Practica Computers.

I'm not sure if the Practica 6R4, and the Nova were actually racing at the same time.
Something tells me there had been a fallout, and when Practica, stopped sponsoring the Metro Lightfoot(?) decided to have a go himself.

Last edited by silver bullet; 12 Aug 2013 at 21:40. Reason: added a bit
Old 13 Aug 2013, 09:09 (Ref:3289177)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tea boy shirley View Post
I really hope LG's 6R4 finds its way back into RX, no one went round the shale at lydden better than Gibson in that thing
And sometimes it was still the right way up when it reached the elbow
Old 13 Aug 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3289431)   #10
tea boy shirley
Rookie

tea boy shirley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They definitely were for at least one race at Brands, in neighbouring pits with matching day-glow Practica paintjobs. I remember being in there with Nick & Terry all day. The Metros paint work was always a lot flatter/mat than the Nova's which must have had more laquer as it was much glossier and seem to suit the Nova better.
Old 13 Aug 2013, 21:29 (Ref:3289448)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Derek sponsored a few people, I think he helped out John Welch, Mark Flaherty and one or two others.

Not sure they fell out? maybe, but Derek was only around for a few seasons, like quite a few people in motorsport, who appear, spend a ton of money, then disappear again never to be seen again.

Wonder why that might be eh........
Old 14 Aug 2013, 08:14 (Ref:3289572)   #12
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Found some info HERE

How many 6R4's are still out there in rallycross trim. Obviously there are Rob Gibson's and Lawrence Gibson's
What are the chances of seeing any more up for sale, or back out on the track.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 09:54 (Ref:3289602)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver bullet View Post
How many 6R4's are still out there in rallycross trim. Obviously there are Rob Gibson's and Lawrence Gibson's
What are the chances of seeing any more up for sale, or back out on the track.
George Tracey still has one doesn't he? (along with his various other cars!)

I wouldn't have thought any more would return to rallycross - any that are out there in rallycross trim are more likely to be converted back to rally spec and sold.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3289603)   #14
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
If the historic class keeps improving, may it tempt others Back?
Old 14 Aug 2013, 10:45 (Ref:3289627)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
If the historic class keeps improving, may it tempt others Back?
I'm sure other cars will come out but not the 'big guns' - more Minis, old super modifieds but I can't really see any group B cars coming out. There can't be that many rallycross group B cars left surely?
Old 14 Aug 2013, 11:50 (Ref:3289657)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Most of them have been converted back to their most valuable form, as Group B cars

A battered old rallycross car with kevlar panels and stuff isnt wirth anywhere near as much as a proper speec sheeted up Group B car with homologation papers, even in Lawrences advert, you have the original pictures and paperwork far more than the spec it is now.

Metro's are still usuable so I doubt hold their value as much as an RS200, 205 or Delta, but even so, worth far more in its original state as a classic car.

Iversens RS200 and their Metro still exist in Norway and are used every year in the Gatebil events.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 12:03 (Ref:3289664)   #17
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've fond memories of this car at Mondello rallycross events, EvilPumpkin has even fonder memories of the event where they started hanging the various body panels that came off it on the catch-fence at the "Hole In The Hedge" and called it the "Wall Of Shame"
Old 15 Aug 2013, 19:35 (Ref:3290335)   #18
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Found the pic!

Click image for larger version

Name:	WallOfShame.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	41094
Old 22 Oct 2013, 07:27 (Ref:3321483)   #19
Schanche1965
Rookie

Schanche1965 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not always straight and pretty....

Can you spot Rob Gibson (silver hair), Ian Muir, Paul `Turbo` Haigh and yours truly (red jacket) ?
Old 10 May 2016, 14:14 (Ref:3640626)   #20
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forgive the thread resurrection, but there is a report floating round Facebook indicating that Mark Flaherty has purchased Gibson's 6R4.

Apparently he intends to run it at the Lydden World Championship round (as part of the Group B demos) later this month.
Old 11 May 2016, 08:02 (Ref:3640801)   #21
Hampton Caught
Racer

England
Hampton Caught should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Forgive the thread resurrection, but there is a report floating round Facebook indicating that Mark Flaherty has purchased Gibson's 6R4.

Apparently he intends to run it at the Lydden World Championship round (as part of the Group B demos) later this month.
Entirely possible, Steve. I know he was actively looking for a 6R4 to purchase and use in the Group B demonstrations at Lydden at the end of the month.

Great news if Mark has secured Lawrence's car. I hope he'll bring it out for the Retro championship as well. 😀

Roll on Lydden. Cheers, Steve
Old 20 May 2016, 07:07 (Ref:3643146)   #22
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

I understand that this car was originally Marks back in the early 90's
Old 20 May 2016, 10:25 (Ref:3643190)   #23
bigdick1977
Racer

England
Swindon
bigdick1977 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another G Tech built car then!
Old 20 May 2016, 10:53 (Ref:3643196)   #24
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
I understand that this car was originally Marks back in the early 90's
Ah, thanks for that, good to see the car come full circle if that's the case!
Old 20 May 2016, 11:08 (Ref:3643200)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Mark's car was one of the first GTECH cars I think with Te Pas's.

I have no idea of the history of Lawrence's, there were a few Metro's over there, Dermot's, Moloneys, Karl Cleary.

I think Mark stopped using his circa 92/93. By then it was 3.8 powered. The original being a standard 3.0. He most of the ERC in it in 92.

As far as Lawrence goes, I don't know who he bought it from? His was a 3.5 and the guy who used that motor in Ireland was Dermot. So maybe traced back that way.