Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jan 2003, 09:54 (Ref:462572)   #1
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
End of the line for the Espirt

Lotus are to cease production of the Esprit model in March, over 100000 have been made since 1976.
Place your order now for one of the last few.
A new Esprit will be made some time in the future.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:02 (Ref:462575)   #2
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Ho hum one of my all time favourites (actually THE all time favourite) finally bites the dust.

Fingers crossed for a prompt launch for a replacement - I'm guessing that a factory racing effort is unlikely!
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:21 (Ref:462587)   #3
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone heard the reason why though? They've run out of gearboxes (they are Renault 22 or 25 based apparently). Surely Lotus can find the money somewhere to develop their own version. Losing the Esprit will be a sad day for what's left of the British car industry.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:23 (Ref:462588)   #4
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't usually post here but on this occassion, I will make an exception...

*salutes the espirit as the last post is played*
Colin would have been proud to see the car make it this far. I second the fact they need a suitable flagship to replace it, and hopefully as agressive but sleek looking as the Espirit.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:31 (Ref:462595)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
Losing the Esprit will be a sad day for what's left of the British car industry.
An alternative view: no wonder the British car industry is in the state it's in if it relies on 25-year-old designs. The Esprit is a fine car, but the opposition has moved on.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 10:54 (Ref:462609)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Cynic
Has anyone heard the reason why though? They've run out of gearboxes (they are Renault 22 or 25 based apparently). Surely Lotus can find the money somewhere to develop their own version. Losing the Esprit will be a sad day for what's left of the British car industry.

I believe it iis the lack of a suitable gearbox which has meant the end for this fabulous car. I'm pleased I saw Hugh's cars run at Le Mans.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:00 (Ref:462616)   #7
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw Top Gear on Sunday and there was an item about it say it will be going out of production. It's a super car shame, will be sadly missed.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:47 (Ref:462654)   #8
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I believe it iis the lack of a suitable gearbox which has meant the end for this fabulous car. I'm pleased I saw Hugh's cars run at Le Mans.
This one, before the wheel fell off!
Attached Thumbnails
1410 crop.jpg  
Old 3 Jan 2003, 12:31 (Ref:462686)   #9
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Dave Brand on this one. Long past its sell-by date. It wouldn't have lingered so long if Colin Chapman had still been around.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 13:50 (Ref:462739)   #10
The Ox
Rookie

The Ox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rumour is boys, that Lotus are gonna develop a new esprit for release 2004/5 - have seen an article which I will try to dig out the link for.

Was, still is and undoubtedly will be the dogs of a machine.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 14:51 (Ref:462787)   #11
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the latest cars made by Lotus are great .. so the next esprit should be a super car .. hope they are not going to use rover/ford V8 as the 1.8 in the Elise but develop a new V8

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Jan 2003, 14:58 (Ref:462789)   #12
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the latest cars made by Lotus are great .. so the next esprit should be a super car .. hope they are not going to use rover/ford V8 as the 1.8 in the Elise but develop a new V8

Ciao Marco
Old 3 Jan 2003, 16:05 (Ref:462821)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
An alternative view: no wonder the British car industry is in the state it's in if it relies on 25-year-old designs. The Esprit is a fine car, but the opposition has moved on.

No, I don't buy that one. Just because its old (but not as old as me ), doesn't make it any less remarkable. OK, the opposition has moved on, but life doesn't stand still, does it? Its still a great looking car, like most of Chapman's designs.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 3 Jan 2003 at 16:05.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 16:38 (Ref:462852)   #14
MGF
Racer

MGF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here here Aysedasi....

If it aint broke......
Old 3 Jan 2003, 17:41 (Ref:462898)   #15
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
No, I don't buy that one. Just because its old (but not as old as me ), doesn't make it any less remarkable. OK, the opposition has moved on, but life doesn't stand still, does it? Its still a great looking car, like most of Chapman's designs.
You've missed my point. I said it is a fine car; that doesn't mean that it can, or should, go on for ever. Your remarks are also self-contradictory; you're saying that life doesn't stand still, but seem to be advocating that Lotus do just that.

The Esprit has been continually developed throughout its long life, but any vehicle has only so much life in it; there comes a point where throwing more money at a car cannot disguise its age. Better to kill it off while it's still relatively competitive than to carry on until it becomes little more than a joke.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 18:30 (Ref:462927)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
On the contrary, you were decrying a 25 year old design. I say there's nothing wrong with it, but yes, time does march on. Just because the Lotus is old and has been in production for an abnormally long time doesn't necessarily indicate anything of the state of the car industry - does it?

......whatever.....
Old 3 Jan 2003, 20:33 (Ref:463033)   #17
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
On the contrary, you were decrying a 25 year old design.
I was decrying reliance on a 25-year-old design. Read my post again - I said 'the Esprit is a fine car'; that's not exactly a derogatory remark, is it?

Quote:
I say there's nothing wrong with it, but yes, time does march on. Just because the Lotus is old and has been in production for an abnormally long time doesn't necessarily indicate anything of the state of the car industry - does it?
Every product has a finite lifespan; the Esprit has reached the end its life. Better to kill it off now & let it be remembered as a good car. Would Lotus have kept on facelifting it if they could have afforded a totally new replacement?
Old 3 Jan 2003, 23:29 (Ref:463178)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Fine.

I obviously misunderstood you.

Happy?
Old 4 Jan 2003, 02:27 (Ref:463304)   #19
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im a fan of the Esprit, and the modern Esprit looks very modern so I dont see how its reached its end of life :|

IMO, most newer models of cars are worse than older ones but not in the case of the Esprit.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:37 (Ref:499635)   #20
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
For news on a possible Esprit replacement look at this
www.espritconcept2003.cjb.net
As far as killing of a 25 year old design goes, Porche seem to be doing alright with the 911 and its offspring, still winning and selling better than ever.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:58 (Ref:499662)   #21
karbon
Rookie

karbon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought i read somewhere that the m250 concept from a few years ago was definitely gonna go into production as a possible esprit replacement.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:09 (Ref:499685)   #22
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You views on ending the present Esprit are interesting. However, I wouldn't confuse what Porsche have done with the 911 with what's happened to the Esprit.
In fact, that's what Lotus have got wrong, or maybe because the Esprit never took off in worthwhile numbers, they never had the investment necessary to do a 'Porsche'.
The 996 model has nothing to do whatsoever with the 911 of the '60s. It's been through a couple of metamorphises along the way. It just looks as though it's still a '911', with of course the proviso that they still have an engine in the 'wrong' place. And before everyone jumps down my throat, of course, it's the 'right' place for a skilled driver on a circuit.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:18 (Ref:499705)   #23
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
If you look at the evolution of the Esprit, I don't think the latest car has alot to do design wise with the original 20 odd years ago.

Still I accept what Porsche have do with the 911 thru the years is pretty special and no other company, perhaps with the excpetion of small companys like Morgan or Marcos has been able to achive it.

Is the 996 not mid engined as opposed to the rear engine of the original.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 11:35 (Ref:501301)   #24
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last time I looked the engine is sat behind the rear axle line on the 996.
I think once you want to start repositioning suspension chassis points and stuff like that, tyre development being what it is, there's only so long a single model design will last. Same with materials. It's all moving on apace.