Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2790340)   #26
blaffer
Racer

Belgium
Antwerp
blaffer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaTheGreat View Post
The only driver imo who doesnt deserve it!
Well, it's an internet forum, so you're free to speak, but it remains utterly risky of course...
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:27 (Ref:2790341)   #27
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
Did anyone else watching the BBC coverage hear the word "Fartmeister" when they went to Vettel's radio?
Weltmeister. World Champion.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2790342)   #28
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan View Post
Who exactly did deserve it then?

They've all made plenty of mistakes.
Well, me
After all, I made it to EVERY session this year !
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:29 (Ref:2790345)   #29
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I heard "Fartmeister" too, for what it's worth.
But I was having too many sour grapes to chuckle at it.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2790346)   #30
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
AHHh Weltmeister - that makes sense!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:33 (Ref:2790348)   #31
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fart Meister would have been funnier !

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2790351)   #32
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I neither like or dislike Vettel but the fact remains that he was the most consistant during the course of the season and several times showed blistering pace the others just couldnt match. In my opinion he is a deserving world champion although he isnt who I wanted to win the Championship, personally I would have preffered Alonso or Hamilton.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:39 (Ref:2790353)   #33
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
The only driver imo who doesnt deserve it!
What a load of

Pole position in over 50% of the races

Won 25% of the races

Reliability issues in (just under) 25% of the races.

What is undeserving about that?

He may have had 2 accidents, but then so did Webber and Hamilton.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:41 (Ref:2790357)   #34
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp2685 View Post
Tell me about it, i thought my Mini Cooper had a little more fight in it.
Should have used the Rover SD1 3.5L V8 lol, that would have gave it POWERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

In all honesty I was hoping, praying that Webber would do it but Korea was his downfall. The thing that has put me off Vettel this season was the way everyone started on MW after the collision in Turkey, which was SV's fault and SV, taking out Button at Spa. They were the key factors for me this season that made me not want Vettel to win it.

Last season, I liked Seb, fighting with Rubens and Jenson for the title but this season he looked, well, average I thought and getting into silly scrapes and bumps. Yes, all the other contenders made mistakes, MW - Valencia, LH - Italy etc but the way Vettel has been believing his own hype made him make the silly mistakes as he was pushing too hard.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2790366)   #35
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In answer to the thread title. Yes he did.

Next.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:47 (Ref:2790369)   #36
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's funny how I thought that having Button slip out of title contention in the penultimate round was perfect for McLaren, allowing them to concentrate fully on aiding Hamilton to the gold. It transpires that I was wrong. Lewis Hamilton needed a lot of luck to win not only the race, but the championship, today. Even with two of Alonso, Webber and Vettel out of the picture he would have struggled.

Fernando Alonso looked, perhaps rightly, quite calm ahead of the grand prix. In theory he had the least work to do. But when the lights went out and Schumacher and Liuzzi's crash caused the Red Bulls to split, with Webber heading for fresh tyres but Vettel staying out on track, it suddenly became clear that the Spaniard would have his work cut out covering himself against both of his rivals.

Webber's strategy didn't work out, but he's found another level this season and generally excelled himself. What's more, he inadvertently stole the attention of the Scuderia in the race, allowing Vettel the freedom to get the job done at the front of the pack. For Alonso, following Webber's lead into the pits was costly. But Vettel, not for the first time this season, did everything that he had to do to keep his head above water. It was a faultless drive.

Others floundered out there today. Hamilton couldn't pass Kubica and Alonso couldn't pass the usually less-imposing Petrov. The almighty Alonso has been shown up by some guy who effectively bought his seat on the grid and who might not have a job this time tomorrow. Good effort. Webber, sadly, never really found the pace he needed. So I ask you: which of these three titans of the sport deserved the title more than Vettel today?
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2790377)   #37
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
In all honesty, I wasn't a fan of Vettel - I'm still not. But the bottom line is that you win the championship because you get the most points. He did. End of. If they gave it to the most deserving driver, it would be a very different championship because the race results and the car wouldn't matter!
Exactly
Quote:
The thing that has put me off Vettel this season was the way everyone started on MW after the collision in Turkey, which was SV's fault and SV, taking out Button at Spa. They were the key factors for me this season that made me not want Vettel to win it.
I agree about Turkey because that was a case of someone trying to argue that black was white and it did influence my view of him, but Spa was simply a careless piece of driving. There was no malice in it.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2790382)   #38
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seb's matured over the second half of the season. He was indeed a cock to begin with but he's handled himself well lately
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:32 (Ref:2790417)   #39
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well that didn't take long for the negative stuff to start did it...! Shame on the OP for even suggesting it.......of course he deserved to win the title - consistency is key, with his Saturday performances setting up his Sunday chances.......well done Sebastian and Red Bull.....

Phil
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2790421)   #40
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Seb's matured over the second half of the season. He was indeed a cock to begin with but he's handled himself well lately
Where as Webber hasn't handled himself too well and made a cock of himself

Only joking of course, but Seb has done exactly what he's been paid to do, which 23 other drivers didn't do!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 17:51 (Ref:2790433)   #41
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Where as Webber hasn't handled himself too well and made a cock of himself

Only joking of course, but Seb has done exactly what he's been paid to do, which 23 other drivers didn't do!
I think it's 26.....

Unless you're only counting those who completed a full season....in which case it's 19......
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:12 (Ref:2790480)   #42
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The World Championship is about getting more points than the competition: and that is what Vettel did. More points than Webber. More points than Alonso (including the donation from Massa). More points than Hamilton. I could go on. He didn't luck into anything either: apart from his won mistakes (roughly the same as every other contender) he had more mechanical unreliability than any of the other contenders. Definitely a deserving winner, I would say.

And isn't it a good job that Red Bull didn't apply some surrepticious team orders in Brazil, as many people said they should have? That would have left Seb with 7 fewer points and Alonso would be world champion. So huge congratulations to Red Bull too, for having the confidence and integrity to let their drivers race, and not be sucked into playing Ferrari at their own game. It would have been so ironic if Alonso had got the championship because Red Bull had sunk to their level.

Incidentally, did anyone notice that Ferrari's shenanigans had absolutely zero result on the final standings? With seven points fewer, Alonso is still second. With seven points more, Massa is still sixth.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:31 (Ref:2790498)   #43
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
5 wins, as many as Alonso, more than Hamilton, Button and Webber.
3 fastest laps, 10 poles and most of his wins were flag to flag.

Did he have a good car? Yes.
Did he make mistakes? Yes. But so did the others.
Did he handle the pressure well in the latter half of the season? Yes.

Did he outscore every other driver? Yes.

How can he be undeserving?
He wasn't my sentimental favourite for the title but he deserves it.
Absolutely.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:33 (Ref:2790500)   #44
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In fairness to the OP, this was a post of his separated from another thread and made it into this one. So it's not as though he started a thread to say that.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:48 (Ref:2790518)   #45
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Surely this thread should have been titled...Did Vettle deserve to be Champion?
And the answer would have been, and is...Yes!
Old 14 Nov 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2790521)   #46
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
In fairness to the OP, this was a post of his separated from another thread and made it into this one. So it's not as though he started a thread to say that.
Then change the title or close the thread.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 20:02 (Ref:2790526)   #47
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done. But I guess we all settled down about this one...
Old 14 Nov 2010, 20:50 (Ref:2790571)   #48
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Then change the title or close the thread.
As a forum host, I cannot change the thread title.

I would also advocate that this thread remain open. The merits of 'deserving' a championship have been debated with some interesting points.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:21 (Ref:2790584)   #49
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no such thing as an "undeserving champion". Period.

Vettel would have won it a long time ago had it not been for reliability retirements. He's had the worst luck in the season so far, so he DOES deserve it imo.

He's been the fastest driver all year. 10 poles - you can't argue with that.
Old 14 Nov 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2790597)   #50
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
There's no such thing as an "undeserving champion". Period.

Vettel would have won it a long time ago had it not been for reliability retirements. He's had the worst luck in the season so far, so he DOES deserve it imo.

He's been the fastest driver all year. 10 poles - you can't argue with that.

"There's no such thing as an "undeserving champion". Period."

There you have it, well said!

deserves the championship on the last race alone, and yet he won it on a whole season - nuff said.