Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Nov 2016, 14:44 (Ref:3691780)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Beards in F1

More and more F1 drivers are sporting beards these days. Is there any reason for this? I'd have thought they'd be very itchy under the balaclava. Of course, shaving isn't a problem Verstappen has had to tackle yet...
Old 28 Nov 2016, 14:52 (Ref:3691782)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Beards are more prevalent than they used to be. It's a hipster thing (or at least it started out that way).

I've had one since before they were cool, and I dare say I'll still have it when they cease to be so. I come in and out of fashion so regularly it hurts
Old 28 Nov 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3691786)   #3
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
I've had one since I was 16, now 61. Just could never be arsed to shave..
Old 28 Nov 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3691879)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Idk there were quite a few in the 70s, notably Wattie, Wilds and Ertl
Old 29 Nov 2016, 07:51 (Ref:3691975)   #5
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
More and more F1 drivers are sporting beards these days. Is there any reason for this? I'd have thought they'd be very itchy under the balaclava. Of course, shaving isn't a problem Verstappen has had to tackle yet...
I would have thought that shaving would cause more discomfort with the sweat irritating freshly shaved skin?
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:16 (Ref:3691984)   #6
aridshelter
Rookie

aridshelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the F1 teams were all over marginal weight savings. Surely it would help literally shave a few hundredths off their laptimes.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 08:19 (Ref:3691985)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reason is that it is what modern men do sadly.

Most people are sheep and follow the herd, watch a car ad on tv, in most of them the bloke has a beard, as that is what marketing people think a modern man looks like.

It is also a grasp at being masculine in the very much more pro feminine world compared to our youth!!
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3692025)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yes, poor oppressed men, it's a terribly pro-female world out there...
Old 29 Nov 2016, 11:15 (Ref:3692033)   #9
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
Bella, you've got to cut him some slack; poor chap does come from Stevenage, after all!

And before you mention Hamilton, he really comes from a mansion in Tewin, a few miles outside Stevenage.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 11:26 (Ref:3692035)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hey, fellow resident of herts here, stevenage isn't that bad. the a1 is within easy reach and from there you can get away very quickly
Old 29 Nov 2016, 12:02 (Ref:3692045)   #11
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
hey, fellow resident of herts here, stevenage isn't that bad. the a1 is within easy reach and from there you can get away very quickly
Too true! Having had my offices there for about twenty years, I always said that the best thing about Stevenage was that I could escape from it at night. And I also lived in Herts for about 40 years, before I retired.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 14:04 (Ref:3692078)   #12
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
What's up with Stevenage? Never been there. Are all the women bearded there too?
Old 29 Nov 2016, 15:37 (Ref:3692112)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
LMAO.. hahaha.. still laughing 😀😀
Old 29 Nov 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3692115)   #14
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
What's up with Stevenage? Never been there. Are all the women bearded there too?
If it was only that, it wouldn't be that bad!
Old 29 Nov 2016, 22:05 (Ref:3692219)   #15
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I've been there a few times and the town centre is full of chavs. Of course Lewis also lived in my town I've always lived, Hatfield
Old 30 Nov 2016, 09:26 (Ref:3692309)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have moved to Luton, so please have some sympathy, bigger house and the area I'm in is nice, but it makes Stevenage look like Berkhamstead! Stevenage was a decent enough place, doesn't pretend to be anything else and Old Town is quite nice.

Hatfield is a truly hideous place!

As for beards, just watch the telly and adverts, apparently all men have beards. We all know people in interracial relationships and our friend circle is a sea of different creeds and colours!

There is a clear trend for beards and a lot of women like it, when they never did before. And it is simple, it's because men became less masculine for some reason. They didn't of course, but we are all told they did by advertising ad PR. And a lot of women bought into it too and prefer men with beards when years ago they all hated it. Both are a sort of victim to trends and marketing.

Beards apparently are the answer lol! And tatts. Being single and on the odd dating site, believe me a lot of women now won't date men without beards and tatts, its utterly vacuous and honestly hilarious! And it didn't exist 7 or 8 years ago!!
Old 30 Nov 2016, 13:02 (Ref:3692345)   #17
S griffin
Veteran

Hatfield is getting better, especially towards the business park. We now have a Wetherspoons, and of course the Galleria I still love going into, although TBF there isn't much to do. St Albans is better, more pubs and Watford is the best for nightlife
Old 30 Nov 2016, 13:26 (Ref:3692352)   #18
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has the new season started yet?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 15:40 (Ref:3692411)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
well its November so this thread is rather fitting. not sure if you guys in the UK have the Movember Foundation out there or not but its essentially a movement which encourages men to grow facial hair, usually mustaches, during the month of November in order to raise awareness/collect donations for men's health issues/cancer.

anyways seeing as we have not much else to talk about during the off season maybe we should get a poll going on which f1 personality has the best facial hair?

my vote will go to Graham Hill...the ultimate in gentlemanly fashion. as awesome today as it was then!

Old 30 Nov 2016, 16:30 (Ref:3692426)   #20
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Harald Ertl is difficult to beat.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3692432)   #21
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
had to look him up...that is an epic beard/moustache combo!
Old 30 Nov 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3692452)   #22
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
is it one of the head chaps from mercedes who also has a magnificent tache?
Old 30 Nov 2016, 19:08 (Ref:3692465)   #23
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
yes, Dieter Zetsche(?) has a mighty mighty stache as does Chase Carey of Liberty Media.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 19:25 (Ref:3692469)   #24
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I've had a beard since the 60s and only been without it once in the 70s when Sue's mother decided to trim it for me, she made such a mess of it that I shaved it off. Sue didn't like me clean shaven and said "please grow it" I've probably saved a few hundred quid without shaving and having haircuts since !
Attached Thumbnails
gs (2).JPG  
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 30 Nov 2016, 21:33 (Ref:3692511)   #25
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Harald Ertl is difficult to beat.
He was who I was about to suggest too!
Pretty well on his own planet when it came to facial hair.