Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Feb 2015, 23:04 (Ref:3509842)   #451
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Is that what F1 is really about,just trying?.
Whats the point spending years running around the back of the field,you may as well just tip truck loads of money down a mine shaft.
Yes but where's the fun in that
Old 27 Feb 2015, 23:33 (Ref:3509848)   #452
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is that what F1 is really about,just trying?.
Whats the point spending years running around the back of the field,you may as well just tip truck loads of money down a mine shaft.
You're never going to win if you don't try though. And if no one tried we'd all have to watch football or some other terrible sports. I agree that it doesn't make financial sense really, but good on them for having a go.

I mean, in a way you could ask what the point of doing anything is. Why bother?
Old 27 Feb 2015, 23:50 (Ref:3509852)   #453
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Other than Eddie The Eagle all sporting outfits hope to progress to the front,but Marussia and Caterham never seem to have shown any sign of progressing past the last row of the grid.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 00:23 (Ref:3509860)   #454
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Other than Eddie The Eagle all sporting outfits hope to progress to the front,but Marussia and Caterham never seem to have shown any sign of progressing past the last row of the grid.
When you are kicking the tin to keep the lights on yourself, it might be hard to justify doubling the financial commitment, and not seeing a massive improvement in competitiveness. That's the difference between a racer running a team, and an investment banker

You would imagine that Manor Marussia has commercial relationships in play from day dot... wheeling & dealing.. just like that other Irish fella used to do...

Busiest blokes & blokettes at JordanF1 used to be the sticker team
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 28 Feb 2015, 03:01 (Ref:3509883)   #455
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So has this banker bought the entry from Manor, or the team itself. Is John Booth still involved or will it effectively be a new team with new personnel starting with the old cars?
Old 28 Feb 2015, 10:03 (Ref:3509980)   #456
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
So has this banker bought the entry from Manor, or the team itself. Is John Booth still involved or will it effectively be a new team with new personnel starting with the old cars?
It would seem that he, or more likely a consortium, have provided sufficient capital for John Booth to carry on after satisfying the creditors on their debts but JB and his Directors are still there. Given that situation Stevens and ANO will bring more money.

Much will depend on wether the FOM income and driver payments can provide the day to day cash. We really don't know what other resources are available to them, only time will tell
Old 28 Feb 2015, 18:29 (Ref:3510098)   #457
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
We all have to remember though what the 'function' of the 'small' teams is...

Breeding ground and career development for talent..

Newey, Brawn, Webber, Brunner, Alonso, Alesi, Brundle, Berger, Bianchi, keke Rosberg all had their formative F1 careers in the Manor Marussia of their day and this is aside from the mechanics, engineers, desginers, etc, etc that we can't name.

Sure some of the Red Bull and other schemes have fast tracked drivers into more front running teams, but let's not forget that Red bull placed Ricciardo (probably F1's hottest property in reality) into HRT to learn his craft.

In the cut and thrust of the 'me first' F1 we have now, it is easy to forget the huge number of F1 personnal that learnt their trade from a John Booth or Ginacarlo Minardi or Ken Tyrrell and sometimes I think the 'factory' teams forget where their mechanics, engineers, designers or drivers come from.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3510253)   #458
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Well put. Same in any team sport....

Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:15 (Ref:3510270)   #459
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Well put. Same in any team sport....
English Cricket Team?......

I think Ken Tyrell would be spinning in his grave seeing his team compared with Marussia.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 08:59 (Ref:3510306)   #460
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
English Cricket Team?......

I think Ken Tyrell would be spinning in his grave seeing his team compared with Marussia.
I thought that too!

Tyrrell 3 World Championships 33 race victories.

What has Marussia done? 3 Insolvencies?
Old 1 Mar 2015, 09:10 (Ref:3510314)   #461
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I thought that too!

Tyrrell 3 World Championships 33 race victories.

What has Marussia done? 3 Insolvencies?
It has to be said as a fan of Tyrrell until the BAR disaster, their final years were not of the lofty standards of their JYS ones... Budgets were different.. and they were always the underdog.. who did a lot with not a lot..

The whole punching about their weight discussion about Marussia certainly applies about probably the last 10+ years of Tyrrell Racing Organisation's F1 participation.

That said, I am heartened that MercedesF1 still uses the original Tyrrell entry, moving thru BAR, to Honda, to Brawn & to MercedesF1...
Old 1 Mar 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3510425)   #462
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
It has to be said as a fan of Tyrrell until the BAR disaster, their final years were not of the lofty standards of their JYS ones... Budgets were different.. and they were always the underdog.. who did a lot with not a lot..

The whole punching about their weight discussion about Marussia certainly applies about probably the last 10+ years of Tyrrell Racing Organisation's F1 participation.

That said, I am heartened that MercedesF1 still uses the original Tyrrell entry, moving thru BAR, to Honda, to Brawn & to MercedesF1...
Quite, that was the era I was referring to, not the JYS years!
Old 2 Mar 2015, 23:13 (Ref:3510947)   #463
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So... who might be the #2 pilot at Manor Marussia this year?

There are several press reports linking half the available drivers to the space.

Would Kevin Magnussen really sign on to this squad?
Old 2 Mar 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3510948)   #464
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So... who might be the #2 pilot at Manor Marussia this year?

There are several press reports linking half the available drivers to the space.

Would Kevin Magnussen really sign on to this squad?

It depends on the McLaren links longterm.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 23:55 (Ref:3510956)   #465
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think that as whoever is there won't likely be able to really 'achieve' anything of note, there'd be no harm giving Susie Wolff the seat.
It's bring a lot of extra attention to Manor and F1 if nothing else.

I may well be the only person to think that though.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 08:30 (Ref:3511050)   #466
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
I think that as whoever is there won't likely be able to really 'achieve' anything of note, there'd be no harm giving Susie Wolff the seat.
It's bring a lot of extra attention to Manor and F1 if nothing else.

I may well be the only person to think that though.
Well they are doing everything they can to get publicity so putting Susie in the car would be a very good way of getting into the normal press rather than just the usual motorsport publications
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:04 (Ref:3511056)   #467
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually not too bad an idea.

Wonder if Toto would let her go to Manor, or whether they would need to do some sort of "deal" first.
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:39 (Ref:3511070)   #468
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikuni View Post
Actually not too bad an idea.

Wonder if Toto would let her go to Manor, or whether they would need to do some sort of "deal" first.
This would be funnt.

Marussia with links to:

Ferrari
McHonda
Merc

All they would need is something from Renault and they would have a link with all 4!
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:43 (Ref:3511072)   #469
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Susue Wolff gets that drive I must admit it will be comical to watch her get blown away, she is absolute rubbish and does not deserve a place on the grid, in umpteen seasons in the DTM she was bordering on useless, and never impresses in any of her F1 test sessions, when will she realise that Williams are just playing her to sponsors for exposure and the romance of the idea.......if anyone is keen to see a girl in F1 then in my mind only Danacia Patrick has the talent to shine.

Anyway, I'm thinking if Susie dose get the seat it will be with Mercede money, if so I dont think they will be happy with the marketing kudos going to a Ferrari engined car, honestly I would be very surprised to see this happen.......they would be better off putting someone like Joylon Plamer in there
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:51 (Ref:3511076)   #470
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I think Mercedes would understand that the exposure created by her driving in F1 rather than just being a "test driver" would be good for F1 so therefore they would be happy, after all i can't see Manor racing providing much more than a mobile chicane for the mercedes
Old 3 Mar 2015, 09:55 (Ref:3511078)   #471
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Ms De Silvestro might be a better choice competitively, having used a '14 Ferrari engine in the Sauber simulator. May not have the budget this squad is likely looking for however
Old 3 Mar 2015, 10:20 (Ref:3511084)   #472
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
De Silvestro looks like she will be tied up with Andretti Autosport in 2015
Old 3 Mar 2015, 10:39 (Ref:3511090)   #473
gaaaazFR
Rookie

gaaaazFR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually this idea of Suzie driving for Manor is quite interesting... It will prove that every "big team" wants to have a small one on the grid to be last!
Ferrari/McLaren as Mercedes don't want to find themselves on the last row of the grid (them or their customer team for Merc.)
Helping Manor to survive means helping the show to be decent and being sure that team spending more than 150 Millions a year are not last every week-end!

That could be Suzie as well as Werhlein, they're both in the same situation regarding super-licence new rules : they're eligible this year but they won't be anymore in 2016
Old 3 Mar 2015, 10:44 (Ref:3511092)   #474
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
If Susue Wolff gets that drive I must admit it will be comical to watch her get blown away, she is absolute rubbish and does not deserve a place on the grid, in umpteen seasons in the DTM she was bordering on useless, and never impresses in any of her F1 test sessions, when will she realise that Williams are just playing her to sponsors for exposure and the romance of the idea.......if anyone is keen to see a girl in F1 then in my mind only Danacia Patrick has the talent to shine.
minus the fist shaking and mockery i sorta agree with that (but disagree fairly strongly about danica), but max chilton has shown how decently you can perform in f1 if you work hard and you have a decent amount of natural ability.

as for ~playing her to sponsors, no. i disagree. i think she got into the job at williams through knowing someone on the "better the devil you know" principle, but she's stayed there because she knows her stuff and is a very very good ambassador for the team. otherwise they'd have shown her the door as soon as toto bimbled off and she'd have ended up at merc too.

i'd like to see it. she's always been a great girl, and had her head screwed on the right way round. it's difficult for ladies in motorsport. there are guys in management who are sound, and can see that women get a hard deal, and want to give us opportunities where it's suitable. but for each one of those there's at least 10 managers or bosses who just won't employ a woman. they each have their own reasons and motivations, and that's fine. but it's that much harder and yeah, we do have to rely on personal connections to get into the sport because there's a significant percentage of people who just won't give a girl the same opportunity to prove themselves (and the same standards to aim for) that they give the lads in the same position.

and if you feel differently, then i urge you to get off your bum and start working up through teams into management so competant, smart and able girls can get into the sport in positions that aren't just limited to desks and office environments.

/accidental rant
Old 3 Mar 2015, 11:19 (Ref:3511098)   #475
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
and if you feel differently, then i urge you to get off your bum and start working up through teams into management so competant, smart and able girls can get into the sport in positions that aren't just limited to desks and office environments.

/accidental rant
Especially for you Bella and all the others that support women in motorsport - this was heart warming from several woman competitors in 2014, originally posted in Aussie Touring cars, they then changed to rules to read only circuit racing, but here goes anyway:

National Champion 2014 NHRA ProStock Championship

Erica Enders-Stevens

She currently holds both sides of the NHRA National Record for Pro Stock, 6.464 seconds and 215.55 mph (346.89 km/h), set at Englishtown, NJ in 2014. [3]
In 2014, Enders-Stevens became the first woman to win the NHRA Pro Stock championship, winning six races for the year, including the season-ending Auto Club NHRA Finals to clinch the title.

Good enough? Well Done!

Heart warming to see, Go Girls!

Enders-Stevens led a major charge this season by female racers in NHRA that resulted in 14 victories by four drivers. She was joined in the winner’s circle during the year by Courtney Force and Alexis DeJoria in Funny Car and Angie Smith in Pro Stock Motorcycle. Brittany Force raced to four runner-up finishes and three No.1 qualifying positions in Top Fuel.

http://www.nhra.com/story/2014/11/16...omona2-sunday/

P.S. I think Danica is way better than she gets credit for.