Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2016, 17:20 (Ref:3630306)   #1101
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Channel 4 can sack them all and just leave Susie in there....
Old 5 Apr 2016, 00:46 (Ref:3630394)   #1102
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Bernie claims that sky are going to get 25 million viewers on their new deal.
Currently they only get 2 or 3% per GP maybe if they add up every viewer over the entire deal but I can't see how they are going to get over 40% of the UK population watching one GP.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123543
25 million viewers = 1.25 million viewers * 20 races
Old 5 Apr 2016, 00:48 (Ref:3630396)   #1103
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ_HCR32 View Post
Ditto all the rubbish about Alonso. Ragging on him saying he is wasting his time hanging around.
Alonso has more trust in McLaren than British journalists!
Old 5 Apr 2016, 00:51 (Ref:3630398)   #1104
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
its not just a SKY problem as this affects all sports broadcasting...increase the number of 'experts', pundits, reporters, ex-athletes etc for a broadcast and inevitably some, if not all of them, will start spouting more and more sensationalized stories in order to justify their airtime. sign of the times im afraid.

'opinions' masquerading as journalism and click bait for the TV.
True, and hardly news. "Journalists" want to be protagonists, instead of just letting competitors stand out.
Old 5 Apr 2016, 05:05 (Ref:3630433)   #1105
fredd1
Racer

fredd1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
its not just a SKY problem as this affects all sports broadcasting...increase the number of 'experts', pundits, reporters, ex-athletes etc for a broadcast and inevitably some, if not all of them, will start spouting more and more sensationalized stories in order to justify their airtime. sign of the times im afraid.

'opinions' masquerading as journalism and click bait for the TV.
I'm a long way away from your action but isn't what chilli said a pointer to the style of their largest shareholder.....?
Old 5 Apr 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3630446)   #1106
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
25 million viewers = 1.25 million viewers * 20 races
Ah yes but it would still take 2 years based on figures for the Bahrain GP where as C4 should easily reach 25 million before seasons end even with only 10 live races.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ch...igures-684706/
Old 5 Apr 2016, 21:51 (Ref:3630605)   #1107
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
food for thought...in response to a growing number of people opting out of traditional cable and satellite subscription, the NFL has signed a deal with Twitter to stream 10 Thursday night NFL games for free via the twitter mobile app.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/sp...tter.html?_r=0

sounds like a smart deal for both the NFL and cable companies who currently share the traditional NFL broadcasting rights while opening up the league to many more millions of people around the world.

and its free and online...F1 should be paying attention!
Old 5 Apr 2016, 22:40 (Ref:3630609)   #1108
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
food for thought...in response to a growing number of people opting out of traditional cable and satellite subscription, the NFL has signed a deal with Twitter to stream 10 Thursday night NFL games for free via the twitter mobile app.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/06/sp...tter.html?_r=0

sounds like a smart deal for both the NFL and cable companies who currently share the traditional NFL broadcasting rights while opening up the league to many more millions of people around the world.

and its free and online...F1 should be paying attention!
If that's successful, which I think it might be, the NFL could expand that to weekend games. However, if F1 were to adopt something similar, I could see Bernie wanting to charge a subscription fee.
Old 6 Apr 2016, 23:36 (Ref:3630826)   #1109
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Also, Yahoo is airing an MLB game every day and four NHL games per week.
Old 11 Apr 2016, 15:34 (Ref:3631886)   #1110
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recorded Sky during the night,yet after a few minutes of playback switched to channel 4's coverage and watched the whole race with them,which was much better with better interviews and general race knowledge.Its a pity that later races Channel 4 will only do highlights,so will stay with Sky!!
Old 13 Apr 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3632458)   #1111
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It seems like champions league soccer is to move back to FTA after the poor viewing figures on one season of BT sport.
http://www.msn.com/en-ie/sport/footb...id=mailsignout

Money is not the only thing that interests European soccer then. What chance of F1 following that lead?
Old 13 Apr 2016, 22:33 (Ref:3632466)   #1112
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's not quite what UEFA have actually said. True, they are not happy with the viewing figures, but the contract with BT still has at least two years to run.

What is being speculated is that either BT and/or Sky will be offered 50% of the games, whilst the remaining half will be available to a terrestrial broadcaster. That still means that half the games will be behind a paywall, and that is because UEFA don't want to lose an alleged billion pounds sterling.

Considering that UEFA would be more interested in the money, one would think, I am surprised that it is not BT that is expressing disappointment in the low viewing figures because I am sure that their advertising clients must be a bit miffed.

And as for F1, under the current management, they don't care about the viewing figures; it's all about milking the broadcasters whilst they are still prepared to fork over the cash.
Old 13 Apr 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3632469)   #1113
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
And as for F1, under the current management, they don't care about the viewing figures; it's all about milking the broadcasters whilst they are still prepared to fork over the cash.
Just like with the race tracks.
Old 14 Apr 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3632661)   #1114
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
That's not quite what UEFA have actually said. True, they are not happy with the viewing figures, but the contract with BT still has at least two years to run.

What is being speculated is that either BT and/or Sky will be offered 50% of the games, whilst the remaining half will be available to a terrestrial broadcaster. That still means that half the games will be behind a paywall, and that is because UEFA don't want to lose an alleged billion pounds sterling.

Considering that UEFA would be more interested in the money, one would think, I am surprised that it is not BT that is expressing disappointment in the low viewing figures because I am sure that their advertising clients must be a bit miffed.

With FOM I think it is all about polishing up the balance sheet and forward cash flow ready for CVC to sell up, despite BE saying it's not about money but about 'reach' to the 25 million homes that can get Sky, which sounds great in a powerpoint presentation but only translates to a few hundred thousand viewers.

This makes interesting reading...

https://f1broadcasting.co/tag/ratings/

The FTA channels still get (in relative terms) the decent viewing figures, all that the multi channel world has done is to fragment the audience and make events harder to find and put a barrier in to actually watch them. BT have spent a fortune in advertising BT Sport (let alone what they have spent on rights fees) so they must be equally worried about the viewing figures and subscriber numbers.
Old 15 Apr 2016, 15:01 (Ref:3632977)   #1115
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It seems UEFA have taken a sensible compromise, but it must be worrying for BT Sport who seem to have succeeded where others have failed (i.e. Setanta) in challenging Sky's viewing figures, especially seen as it is cheaper than Sky
Old 16 Apr 2016, 22:54 (Ref:3633504)   #1116
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

We got Sky F1 over here on Foxtel (PayTV)

I like Martin Brundle but he is wasted against the other clowns. Don't hey realise they broadcasting outside of UK as well. I have to wonder if the are commentators or Hamiltons personal cheer squad not to mention tying to throw Nico under a bus when they get half a chance.

I'm hoping Rosberg wins the championship just to stick it up those clowns
Old 17 Apr 2016, 02:27 (Ref:3633598)   #1117
cmifsud
Racer

Australia
Australia
cmifsud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yesterday when he said something about something being "Senna-esque" I shuddered thinking back to Monaco 2008 when everything Hamilton did was Senna esque and "he's wearing a yellow helmet, just like Senna"
Old 17 Apr 2016, 07:55 (Ref:3633652)   #1118
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post

I like Martin Brundle but he is wasted against the other clowns. Don't hey realise they broadcasting outside of UK as well. I have to wonder if the are commentators or Hamiltons personal cheer squad not to mention tying to throw Nico under a bus when they get half a chance.

It's interesting, sky must do two different commentaries. I missed that. I do remember Hamilton's "worst lap since he was in F1", it was bad too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmifsud View Post
Yesterday when he said something about something being "Senna-esque" I shuddered thinking back to Monaco 2008 when everything Hamilton did was Senna esque and "he's wearing a yellow helmet, just like Senna"
I like thinking back to old races and when they said something silly. Remember Silverstone in 2007 or something. Brundle said something awful. Grrr.
Old 17 Apr 2016, 09:30 (Ref:3633688)   #1119
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead View Post

Brundle is top knotch although his "interest " in Palmer is becoming a little tiresome. It's clear he won't have a bad word said against him which is laudable for a God Father but somewhat shallow....
Old 17 Apr 2016, 16:54 (Ref:3634078)   #1120
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Channel 4. Steve Jones is it? Grrrr. How many times in a programme did he call Coulthard, DC? Irritating man..where has Susie Wolff gone too?
Old 18 Apr 2016, 06:23 (Ref:3634304)   #1121
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I watched my first GP of the year on catch up last night. Quite enjoyed the coverage TBH. Channel 4 coverage of course, I've *so* lost interest in F1 I couldn't justify paying for Sky for the few times I could be bothered to watch.

Listened on 5 Live while I was pottering about preparing the kart trackside, it was quite diverting while i did a couple of early morning jobs. They seem to have down graded their team too. No McNish. No Anderson. Can't even remember who it was instead!
Old 18 Apr 2016, 09:54 (Ref:3634356)   #1122
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think jack, formerly of this parish, actually does a better job than james allen on radio 5. it's much improved over last years effort. the other voice was iirc mark gallagher, who knows his stuff. don't they have tom clarkson in the pits as well?

susie wolff isn't a full time contributor to the channel 4 coverage. that's why they have so many people on their "team" - they come and go and do relevant stuff. i like it, the same old tired talking heads who aren't really doing a good job gets boring very quickly.
Old 18 Apr 2016, 10:31 (Ref:3634370)   #1123
mikestow
Rookie

mikestow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does that pillock Lazenby mince around all the time??.He performs just like Posh Spice,with his arms and legs criss crossing in poses,and his head darting about??.Exceedingly irritating,and generally makes inane questions,which he should leave to the more competent presenters that have actually raced cars before!!!!!Crofty got confused more than once but is better than Ben Edwards,so back to Sky is better than Channel 4 highlights this time!
Old 19 Apr 2016, 12:28 (Ref:3634796)   #1124
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think (to my surprise, for I was a sceptic) that Steve Jones is doing a good job. He clearly has (or can at least feign) a passion for the sport, and I think he communicates that pretty well. DC has matured into one of the best commentators out there now - I'd rate him above Brundle - and he has an obvious chemistry with the excellent Mark Webber, when MW isn't off playing with Porsches.

And in the end, we all have to remember one vitally important factor - there's no Jim Rosenthal!
Old 2 May 2016, 12:14 (Ref:3637806)   #1125
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Think I have already said this before !!!

Last weekend was the first GP's highlights I have watched since coming back from Spain where I had pretty major surgery and I think that Ch 4 do a much better job than the BBC.

DC is obviously much happier working with Steve Jones than Suzi Perry.

Last year their relationship seemed strained and awkward.

SJ is IMHO very good and seems much happier than working in shows like 'X' Factor USA ... LOL ...

DC is very much a man's man and that is why the chemistry works so much better with SJ than with SP.

Tags
pinks