Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jul 2010, 01:40 (Ref:2725851)   #326
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the decision for Alonsos drive through was, for me, the straw that broke the camels back. I switched off the GP while the SC was still on track and I don't think I will watch another.

I am by no means a fan of Alonso but do have a soft spot for the guys in red. The penalty was extreme (in my opinion). With that and all the other garbage in the background, I'll enjoy my lie ins.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 10:33 (Ref:2726002)   #327
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's strange that you would choose to switch off on the basis of Alonso's deserved penalty. To use a comparison, something like after Spa 2008 would have been a far better time to do so.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 12:21 (Ref:2726060)   #328
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was feeling sympathetic towards Alonso given how harsh the penalty appeared, but now it appears that they ignored Charlie when he told them to let Kubica back past. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258 If this is the case, they deserve everything they got.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2726070)   #329
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
To get uniformity of stewarding, why dont they appoint an ex-driver as a permenant member of the stewards - ie to cover all the races. What Frentzen thinks will not be the same as Mansell, Wurz, Hill, Herbert etc etc.

If that Autosport report is correct about Ferrari ignoring Charlie Whitings advice, then they have no-one to blame other than themselves.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 13:05 (Ref:2726080)   #330
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What twonks Ferrari are being.

Charlie Whiting says they were told to let him back through immediately. Stefano Domenicali has been saying otherwise (I think that Domenicali quote may have come before this Charlie Whiting clarification).

Quote:
"You can have a situation where immediately there is a possibility to give back the position to a driver if you feel that there is really an advantage that you gain. On our side we felt that was not the case otherwise we would have done it."
Typical Ferrari arrogance. It's news to me that gaining a position isn't gaining an advantage.

Last edited by Born Racer; 13 Jul 2010 at 13:13.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 13:17 (Ref:2726084)   #331
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even without Charlie's advice it would still be entirely their own fault. The situation was rather clear from a neutral point of view. And even from the subjective Ferrari pit kind of view it has to seem at least ambigous to them. So if you're in doubt, you better let the other guy pass again. If you don't, you're gambling. If you're gambling, there's the fair chance that you will lose. Ferrari gambled, they lost. Instead of just taking responsibility and moving on, they ***** and cry and complain like they always do in recent times. Alonso and Ferrari seem like the perfect driver/team match. Tbh looking at this season, I would be quite happy seeing both Alonso and Ferrari fold as they contribute nothing but stupid egocentric off-track drama.

But I agree on wnut's proposal that the stewards should publish their decisions in a decent manner where you can actually see why they punished somebody and why they chose the punishment they did. Wonder what they had written for the European GP...
Old 13 Jul 2010, 13:53 (Ref:2726103)   #332
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
To get uniformity of stewarding, why dont they appoint an ex-driver as a permenant member of the stewards - ie to cover all the races. What Frentzen thinks will not be the same as Mansell, Wurz, Hill, Herbert etc etc.
Exactly my point in #320
Old 13 Jul 2010, 14:04 (Ref:2726107)   #333
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
I was feeling sympathetic towards Alonso given how harsh the penalty appeared, but now it appears that they ignored Charlie when he told them to let Kubica back past. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85258 If this is the case, they deserve everything they got.
My thoughts exactly. I thought it was unlucky but there is a saying which from memory goes something like "Good luck has a way of favoring the intelligent and showing its back to the stupid."
Old 13 Jul 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2726138)   #334
pannenmann
Racer

Germany
Bavaria
pannenmann should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just noticed the following:
Canadian GP:
Felipe Massa (Ferrari) Speeding in the pitlane during the race 105.4 km/h, 20 seconds added to race time
European GP:
Pedro de la Rosa (Sauber) Speeding in the pitlane during the race 120.3 km/h fined €4,200

Funny that they cite 30.12 where it states that during the race, you can only apply drive-throughs or a 10sec stop and go penalty. Yet DLR gets just a fine. Are they completely retarded not being able to jump from one paragraph of their own regulations to the referenced one???
Old 14 Jul 2010, 00:34 (Ref:2726364)   #335
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
By Born racer

"What twonks Ferrari are being.

Charlie Whiting says they were told to let him back through immediately. Stefano Domenicali has been saying otherwise (I think that Domenicali quote may have come before this Charlie Whiting clarification).

Quote:
"You can have a situation where immediately there is a possibility to give back the position to a driver if you feel that there is really an advantage that you gain. On our side we felt that was not the case otherwise we would have done it."

Typical Ferrari arrogance. It's news to me that gaining a position isn't gaining an advantage."' End of quote

True
Gaining a position is gaining an advantage... That is absolute. Any other sort of reasoning is twaddle. Gaining a time advantage isn't regarded as an serious advantage because under a safety car everyone behind the leader gains a time advantage.....
Domenicali is kidding himself. An advantage is when you gain a position or a place. If you have performed an illegal manouvre to get that advantage you may/should be penalised. How hard is that?
Old 14 Jul 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2726427)   #336
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the same team who supported the penalty against Hamilton at Spa when he did let Raikkonen past and then mugged him at the next corner isn't it? I'm really fed up with them to be honest. Anyone with even the the slightest knowledge of F1 knows they should have radioed Alonso immediately to give the place back. He would have soon been in a position to repass and be on his way. Unfortunately the arrogance of the team and the driver meant that this was never going to happen.
Old 14 Jul 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2726823)   #337
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy View Post
This is the same team who supported the penalty against Hamilton at Spa when he did let Raikkonen past and then mugged him at the next corner isn't it? I'm really fed up with them to be honest. Anyone with even the the slightest knowledge of F1 knows they should have radioed Alonso immediately to give the place back. He would have soon been in a position to repass and be on his way. Unfortunately the arrogance of the team and the driver meant that this was never going to happen.
Pride comes before a fall, as the saying goes and it fell pretty hard for Ferrari and particularly Alonso.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2730196)   #338
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For next race Danny Sullivan is the Driver's Steward

Lots of recent experience there then
Old 21 Jul 2010, 15:27 (Ref:2730197)   #339
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man View Post
For next race Danny Sullivan is the Driver's Steward

Lots of recent experience there then
I will certainly be different.
Old 21 Jul 2010, 15:38 (Ref:2730203)   #340
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I will certainly be different.
Will you?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2730215)   #341
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Will you?
I'm not following you, could you rephrase that please?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:23 (Ref:2730296)   #342
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Does anyone other than I believe that Alonso seems to be taking over the management role as well, and he decided he wasnt go to redress the situation and Domencali was too weak to overule him, so went along with Alonso's poor judgement?
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2730305)   #343
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I'm not following you, could you rephrase that please?
I suspect it was a joke, based on your typo where you put "I will" rather than "it will".........
Old 21 Jul 2010, 19:55 (Ref:2730316)   #344
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've done my best to try and wrap-up my view of the Alonso/Kubica controversy here: http://bprf1.com/2010/07/21/comment-...-prix-penalty/

Like others have said, Ferrari gambled and lost big time. Desperate times call for desperate measures...
Old 21 Jul 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2730379)   #345
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
I suspect it was a joke, based on your typo where you put "I will" rather than "it will".........
I'm glad to see my typo's provided some good entertainment.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2730403)   #346
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Amazing Whiting can give Alonso advice immediately and the stewards dish out a penalty almost immediately 13:31:05 - 13:35:30, yet it takes Whiting and the Stewards 17 laps to assess whether Hamilton has passed the safety car!
Old 22 Jul 2010, 01:07 (Ref:2730408)   #347
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Amazing Whiting can give Alonso advice immediately and the stewards dish out a penalty almost immediately 13:31:05 - 13:35:30, yet it takes Whiting and the Stewards 17 laps to assess whether Hamilton has passed the safety car!
Seems like they could be basing their information on the TV broadcast.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2730426)   #348
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Seems like they could be basing their information on the TV broadcast.

They certainly base their decisions on repays where they are available.
You wuld expect them to take all info into consideration.

Hamilton's safety car pass was on video and immediately available, so hy the delay? It was shown live on national TV.

The delay was not good enough.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 02:35 (Ref:2730427)   #349
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
They certainly base their decisions on repays where they are available.
You wuld expect them to take all info into consideration.

Hamilton's safety car pass was on video and immediately available, so hy the delay? It was shown live on national TV.

The delay was not good enough.
Well as they are watching the broadcast, they slowly realise they have to supervise the race they are watching.
Old 22 Jul 2010, 03:14 (Ref:2730439)   #350
Racer

6157 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post

If that Autosport report is correct about Ferrari ignoring Charlie Whitings advice, then they have no-one to blame other than themselves.
To get uniformity with the stewards they need to have the same group of stewards LED by, not advised by, Whiting. Until you get the same officials at each GP, you're always going to have inconsistent calls.

The quotes by Domenicali in Autosport have me raging. There should be NO "discussion" about the call, you ACCEPT the call and take the penalty. It's not race control's problem, you cried and complained so long that Alonso was able to gap Kubica. Give back the position and shut the hell up.