Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:56 (Ref:760871)   #1
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are concept cars worth it?

I see lots of concept cars on the internet, all the big companies release them, but rarely ever produce them.

I like this car, its a Lexus, and i'd love to drive it...but they're not going to produce it, so why release it.
Its not like anything produced this decade by Lexus will even reflect it...so why bother?
Old 23 Oct 2003, 14:59 (Ref:760874)   #2
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgot to post the car
Attached Thumbnails
lexi.jpg  
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:13 (Ref:760884)   #3
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Concept cars serve a lot of purposes
1 - trial technology
2 - trial visual ideas
3 - preview new models
4 - get publicity
5 - get publicity
6 - get publicity
7 - etc etc
Old 23 Oct 2003, 15:16 (Ref:760887)   #4
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Concept cars serve two useful purposes. Firstly, they enable a manufacturer to gauge public reaction to new styling ideas without the expense of tooling up for production, secondly they give the manufacturers of dull, boring cars something interesting to put onm their motor show stands.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 16:41 (Ref:760963)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think this has been linked before, but here is the latest 'news' from sniffpetrol on the concept cars.
http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue042.html
Old 23 Oct 2003, 16:58 (Ref:760986)   #6
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be two types of concept car development. Those that are "art for art's sake", which rarely see production in any form similar to the original; then there are those that are very close to the final intended production model, such as the '05 Mustang.

The Lexus above seems to be the former more than the latter. If they do build it though, I hope they put the rearview mirror on the correct end of the car.

Last edited by Neil C; 23 Oct 2003 at 17:00.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:04 (Ref:761042)   #7
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Lexus was used in the movie Minority Report. I believe it was just made so Lexus could get thier name in that film, which was set in the future.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 18:43 (Ref:761080)   #8
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Of course, the Dodge Viper and Plymouth Prowler were both concept cars which made it into production after public clamour.

But there were lots of others I would have loved to see more of. The Lamborghini Marzal, the Alfa Romeo Carabeo and a beautiful Bertone-rendered Jaguar D Type spring to mind.
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:02 (Ref:761325)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by TimD
a beautiful Bertone-rendered Jaguar D Type spring to mind.
I'm intreged! Another one other than the ones included here? http://www.bertone.it/en/storia_prototipi_en.htm
Quite a collection of cars that look like concepts!
Old 23 Oct 2003, 22:24 (Ref:761343)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Not only am I intreged (which is quite painful), but I am also intrigued!
Old 24 Oct 2003, 04:46 (Ref:761505)   #11
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Checked out the bertone site - looked at all the Alfas (of course) - what a bunch of absolute DOGS - didn't look much further (well, I checked the mustang as well and it was well and truly pants too).

if that's representative of the quality of concept cars, then there's a good reason they don'e get past the concept stage!
Old 24 Oct 2003, 08:38 (Ref:761644)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I think this has been linked before, but here is the latest 'news' from sniffpetrol on the concept cars.
http://www.sniffpetrol.com/issue042.html
Nothing whatsoever to do with concept cars (that Lexus is going backwards, by the way), just thought I'd mention that yours truly can claim the credit for Sniff Petrol extensively using the acronym for Two Wheeled Alternative Transport in their moped campaign...
Old 28 Oct 2003, 00:25 (Ref:765238)   #13
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was reading an interesting article the other week on Prince Jefri of Brunei; the Sultans' brother. The Sultan made him minister of finance (something he would later regret...), and Jefri's spending habits were estimated at £750,000 a day. For 10 years. In the mid nineties he was Rolls Royces best customer, they reckon he was responsible for over half the income, and kept the company going! He would have his men order the concept cars, usually half a dozen at a time (bulk rate discount, seriously). Because his brother was the Sultan, he would get the emissions regs for the country to fit his cars. Bentley estates, Ferrari 456 4doors, you name it he got it. He even had several Phantom Vs made at a cost of £6,000,000 each. In the end the Sultan noticed that $40billion was missing from the countries coffers. He took Jefri to court, and sold a lot of his stuff to recoup the money. The cars stayed apparently, and although no one knows how many he has, estimates put it between 3 and 5 thousand. And that's why manufacturers build concepts...
His crowning achievement was sending his private jet half way around the planet to pick up some paint to redecorate one of his palace rooms. Not sure that they have B&Q in Brunei though, so there's some justification...
Old 28 Oct 2003, 00:51 (Ref:765251)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Saw some pictures of some of those creations. A Bentley SUV!

Is nothing sacred?
Old 28 Oct 2003, 01:00 (Ref:765256)   #15
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a Rambo Lambo one-off estate for sale up north somewhere at the moment. It's a shame that he probably hasn't even driven most of his cars yet (if he drove one in the morning, one afternoon and one evening, it would be 4 years before he got back to the first one!).