Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Nov 2002, 03:20 (Ref:428936)   #1
mick
Rookie

mick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first time to lemans

Hey guys i have been a great fan of this site for a while now. My question is that i plan to go to lemans next year but i have no idea how to go about it. I've been to France before but im sure lemans is a whole different approach. I live in Los Angeles California, USA - I was wondering if i could meet up there with some of you guys so you can show me the ropes. I will be traveling alone ,my wife refuses to accompany me . thanks guys - Mick
Old 15 Nov 2002, 12:19 (Ref:429130)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is very different !

Presume you will fly to Paris and then hire a car. Most from Europe camp in one of the many campsites, facilities are pretty basic on these sites. If you are wanting to camp then apply for a ticket now as they do sell out.

If you are looking for a hotel, again book fairly soon as there is a limited amount of space in the area.

How long are you planning on staying ? just 'le weekend' or longer so as to see the practice ?

Simon
Old 15 Nov 2002, 13:58 (Ref:429213)   #3
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz will chime in with her opinion soon enough. She's had a good thing going, coming out of Toronto. It's all personally organized, so you'd have to mimic her work. Oh, and you'll need to order tickets as quickly as possible.

Flights will likely be a whole lot cheaper flying anywhere but France. You might want to consider flying into London and hooking up with a tour. Then the organization part will be done for you. Plus they'll have tickets already. Have a look through a Motorsport magazine, or look up Aysedasi's website. (Use a member search)

I'll be in the same boat for 2004 unless my 6/49 or Super 7 investment comes through, in which case I'll be there next year.

Last edited by paul-collins; 15 Nov 2002 at 13:59.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 15 Nov 2002, 17:02 (Ref:429354)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: first time to lemans

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Hey guys i have been a great fan of this site for a while now. My question is that i plan to go to lemans next year but i have no idea how to go about it. I've been to France before but im sure lemans is a whole different approach. I live in Los Angeles California, USA - I was wondering if i could meet up there with some of you guys so you can show me the ropes. I will be traveling alone ,my wife refuses to accompany me . thanks guys - Mick
Hello Mick, and welcome :
- at the forum (our Chief Ayse will welcome you ASAP I think !)
- at Le Mans, where I was this morning (I live in Nantes, not far from the area).

Let's see the problem from the other side of the Atlantic... you'll have to precise what you wanna do and I can help you from here :
- do you wanna land in London ? Follow Paul solution (above), and you'll be among our British friends
- do you wanna land in Paris ? You'll have to take the TGV (high speed train) to Le Mans (easy, even with the luggages), and take a room or camp... anyway, it's easy to go to the track from Le Mans station...

Which day do you plan to arrive ? Think that it's easy to get tickets at the main entrance, but only for the "general areas"... the grandstands are reserved now...
Old 15 Nov 2002, 18:11 (Ref:429404)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Hi Mick,
If you can stand it the best way to savour the atmosphere at Lemans is to camp. As Fab says the campsites and grandstands will now be largely sold if you go direct to the ACO, but if you contact some of the UK based ticket and travel agencies you will probably still get tickets but they will carry a booking fee. You will find links to these agencies on Aysedasi's website.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 18:33 (Ref:429419)   #6
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Mick, look forward to seeing you at LeMans next year. I take it from your post you will be there as a spectator not a corner worker? Certainly in that case you would do well to follow paul-collins & Fab's advise. If you are a licenced corner worker you need to get Dick Coburn (SCCA Marshals National Administrator) on your case NOW, as you can't apply direct and ACO like any new workers registered by the end of November.
Good luck and enjoy the best motor race in the world.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 03:00 (Ref:431939)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can get you a great deal on the actual Le Mans experience but you'll have to do your own airfare (I'm in Canada and the flights from here are painfully expensive.) If you want to camp, we can give you space for your tent in Karting Nord, all the food and adult beverages you require for Saturday and Sunday (and probably find you something on Friday as we're all there early in the week!) and satellite TV etc. for about $260.00 US. Also we can get you a cheap ferry from England. It's a great crowd and Race tickets can be bought on the site or you can go to the Le Mans Official Site and get them there or write tickets@lemans.org and ask them to send you a PDF brochure.

So if you can arrange your own transport, you could join our merry band and let us do the rest.
Old 19 Nov 2002, 13:31 (Ref:432203)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome aboard, mick.

Good to hear you will be venturing to the world's greatest motorsport event next year.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 00:28 (Ref:440822)   #9
thomben
Rookie

thomben should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mick and Liz,

Liz, I cannot get anything to go through to that address @lemans.org. The price sounds quite reasonable, if you could forward me some info! I will be travelling from Ohio for the first time to LeMans in 2003. My Bilingual Canadian wife will travelling with me as well. It would be worth it to me just to expierience the race with some other English speakers! Do you recommend any other sites with information in English?

mick, This whole thing seems pretty overwhelming to me right now as well! I can only imagine a race as hectic as Indy in unfamiliar territory! I will start to check into airfare soon. If I find an exeptional deal I will post it to this site. My initial plan is to fly into Germany, as I intend to get a rental car and spend the following week in Germany before returning. The last time I flew to Europe I found airfare for less than $400 round trip, and that was prior to 9/11.

Please forward me anything that you find useful as it sounds like we may be in the same boat.

thomben@earthlink.net
Old 2 Dec 2002, 01:11 (Ref:440845)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've e-mailed the trip organizer and he'll get in touch with you. Last year we had quite a number of Canadians (mostly from Edmonton and thereabouts) in the group and everyone had a good time.

I'll get the tickets address for you and post it here in case someone else needs it.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 01:19 (Ref:440846)   #11
Liz
Veteran

http://www.lemans.org/course/aco2002...1_18_nc_02.pdf cut and paste that into your browser and if you've got Acrobat, it'll bring up the .pdf ticket form.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 01:47 (Ref:440858)   #12
rlinter
Racer

rlinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone notice the 3rd page of that PDF - do they really think that upto 16 euros a day will put people off pitching up early?