Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Nov 2007, 10:03 (Ref:2063623)   #26
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
hmmm.....I'll believe it when I see it
I was told the same by one of the WR engineers.

Quote:
sam's having a pretty long sleep!
yup I was then the forum seemed to be down - then I was on a plane - then I was asleep but now... I'm back. Heres a pic. Actually this engine should be reliable and produce good power - it has some issues - stiffness is a question, pistons and rods have not been chosen yet, cost will be based on leasing engines, it weighs a little more than some other LMP2 lumps at 140kg - but I'm told by an engine guru (Ian Bamsey) that the Zytek is a similar weight.

This is the first of a number of new engins - Ferrari could well be next - question is - what chassis is going into and will it be painted red?

Little Bimmer

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Nov 2007 at 13:57.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 13:06 (Ref:2063729)   #27
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I am in love . . .

Last edited by Aysedasi; 13 Nov 2007 at 13:57.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2063752)   #28
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks great!
Is that a standard block though? I'm not that familiar with the BMW V8.
Old 9 Nov 2007, 14:46 (Ref:2063801)   #29
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
looks very nice, I dont think stiffness will be an issue, I have seen several production based V engines successfully converted to fully stressed race operation in single seaters, the Infiniti pro series V8 and Nissan V6 are prime examples, as long as the sump to block interface is properly dowelled it will be fine......anyhowm in a sports car installation, most are semi stressed, via using A-frames, in order to transmit the bending loads into the side walls of the chassis.......as Mr Elleray was saying on the embassy thread
Old 9 Nov 2007, 15:07 (Ref:2063815)   #30
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed - Mike Pilbeam was very interested in it and I'm sure was twitching to get home to the drawing board...
Old 9 Nov 2007, 16:37 (Ref:2063884)   #31
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I see no BMW badge. Is it badged as Sodemo engine?
Old 9 Nov 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2063953)   #32
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I see no BMW badge. Is it badged as Sodemo engine?
This seems to be promotion engine. The Sodemo logo covers the spark plugs
Old 9 Nov 2007, 21:49 (Ref:2064043)   #33
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Its a Sodemo lump - will not be branded BMW - unless it does well I suspect.

The cover on the plugs is normal tho - but indeed that engine is a very long way from ready - the finished version will debut at Brum
Old 25 Sep 2008, 14:13 (Ref:2297680)   #34
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
translated from http://www.endurance-info.com/article.php?sid=6452
Quote:
We spoke previously about GT1 engines. Another Pescarolo, the LMP2, could choose an engine which is not “race”. Can you say some to us more?

« The idea came from Jacques Nicolet, as the ACO suggested it in its rules: put a series engine in LMP2, to make more economic a class intended for privateers. Thus he charged us to a project of this type and it is in the process of seeing life. The car will turn at the beginning of October. In industrial term, one can call it a demonstrator. This production engine (which will be neither an engine from GT2, nor a diesel, Henri confirmed) will be installed in the #16, which we put in LMP2 2009 configuration. It will run at the same time as the #35, usually engaged by Saulnier Racing, in order to make comparative performances. »
Clearly this confirms that Pescarolo will use the Sodemo BMW V8.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 16:21 (Ref:2297751)   #35
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it would, extremely interesting
Old 25 Sep 2008, 16:50 (Ref:2297771)   #36
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
Some more reading material about this engine: http://www.theworldmotorsportmarketp...hSodemoqxd.pdf
http://www.theworldmotorsportmarketp...EnTeSodemo.pdf

Last edited by gwyllion; 25 Sep 2008 at 16:56.
Old 25 Sep 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2297818)   #37
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Wonderful, wonderful..

Please keep it up, love that nerdy stuff. And a BMW Sodemo in a Pescarolo chassis, ohh man...
Old 25 Sep 2008, 19:08 (Ref:2297861)   #38
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslak Vind
Wonderful, wonderful..

Please keep it up, love that nerdy stuff. And a BMW Sodemo in a Pescarolo chassis, ohh man...

Hey Hey HEY Would you guys stop it.

Your getting Aslak all excited here. . ..

Old 26 Sep 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2298706)   #39
Duff_44
Racer

United States
Bristol, CT
Duff_44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
the only thing that worries me about this engine is the alusil bores, they dont like much more that what they were designed for, otherwise they scuff up badly, buth this can easily be fixed with liners or nikasil coating.
According to the GT2 rulebook (which would govern the modifications for homologated engines) you can add sleeves if the block does not have them, or machine the existing sleeves for a larger bore... it doesn't specifically address re-sleeving. Interesting question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
you what?.....where did you hear this?.........I thought diesel wasnt yet allowed LMP2.......does anyone know anything about diesel LMP2 regs?.......
4400cc maximum, twin-turbos allowed (2000cc petrol engines must use a single turbo in P2). Must use pistons, connecting rods, cylinder heads, and valves from a production engine (10000+ units). 3000mmb manifold pressure and 1 x 53.0mm/2 x 37.9mm restrictors. A comparable sized P1 engine would get 3500mmb manifold pressure and 1 x 55.9mm/2 x 39.9mm restrictors.
Old 27 Sep 2008, 00:23 (Ref:2298729)   #40
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Hey Hey HEY Would you guys stop it.

Your getting Aslak all excited here. . ..

Ohhh yeaah
Old 27 Sep 2008, 03:59 (Ref:2298762)   #41
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I presume this engine will be heavier than the Acura and Porsche ones?

What sort of power/torque do the Acura and Porsche engines have?
Old 30 Sep 2008, 00:06 (Ref:2300774)   #42
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duff_44
4400cc maximum, twin-turbos allowed (2000cc petrol engines must use a single turbo in P2). Must use pistons, connecting rods, cylinder heads, and valves from a production engine (10000+ units). 3000mmb manifold pressure and 1 x 53.0mm/2 x 37.9mm restrictors. A comparable sized P1 engine would get 3500mmb manifold pressure and 1 x 55.9mm/2 x 39.9mm restrictors.
That's what the regs currently say but I think it is reasonable to expect some changes before 2011.
Old 4 Oct 2008, 14:49 (Ref:2304035)   #43
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Then, there's something else that the Sodemo/BMW engine does...

If successful, it will announce to other manufacturers that, if you have a similar V8 engine in your passenger car production line, you too can enter it into Sports Prototype racing. All it takes is the proper engineering to make it work.

Mercedes, Jaguar,... Ferrari?...