Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 19 Aug 2017, 00:47 (Ref:3760297)   #701
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen are/were also platinum graded drivers, but they got out of competitive racing when they felt they weren't too far away from not getting the job done anymore. Not that they had much left to prove anyways.

I know that Sharp being the team's owner will be a defense for some, and if he's doing it for fun (the driving part), more power to him. But he's way past his prime. It's just the way it is.

I saw Darrell Waltrip in NASCAR milk being there, to the point where he was DNQ'ing races and struggling. Not saying that Scott is to that point, but he's not the strongest link on the team by far. As a fan of both cars and drivers, I'd rather see a driver retire on top and have more time to do what they want to do outside of the car than milk it because they think that's what their fans want.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 05:05 (Ref:3760322)   #702
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Equally he shouldn't retire because some fans think he should. His life.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 06:00 (Ref:3760324)   #703
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
As I said, if he's having fun, fine. We shouldn't expect him to win races if he's not up to speed, though.
Old 19 Aug 2017, 12:37 (Ref:3760374)   #704
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
As I said, if he's having fun, fine. We shouldn't expect him to win races if he's not up to speed, though.
This is true for any driver aha
Old 19 Aug 2017, 12:45 (Ref:3760377)   #705
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
This is true for any driver aha
Suppose it works for me too. I can win races if I'm up to speed. And someone gives me a drive. Not hinting (much).
Old 22 Aug 2017, 17:36 (Ref:3760985)   #706
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Allan McNish and Tom Kristensen are/were also platinum graded drivers, but they got out of competitive racing when they felt they weren't too far away from not getting the job done anymore. Not that they had much left to prove anyways.

I know that Sharp being the team's owner will be a defense for some, and if he's doing it for fun (the driving part), more power to him. But he's way past his prime. It's just the way it is.

I saw Darrell Waltrip in NASCAR milk being there, to the point where he was DNQ'ing races and struggling. Not saying that Scott is to that point, but he's not the strongest link on the team by far. As a fan of both cars and drivers, I'd rather see a driver retire on top and have more time to do what they want to do outside of the car than milk it because they think that's what their fans want.
I think fielding a race team is sharp's way of giving himself the time to do what he wants to do (inside) the car. If esm didn't exist, would Scott Sharp have a ride right now?

And at times, he's pretty much right there on pace. A tenth or two off, but that's good enough to hand it over to the other driver to bring it home on the podium hopefully. If your other team car is competing for wins, just look at it as a vettel/Raikkonen situation, lol.
Old 22 Aug 2017, 17:40 (Ref:3760987)   #707
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Also, really loving all the news coming out lately. Imsa is certainly on the rise. Surprised Cameron would leave axr as well as Taylor leave his dad. But making it on his own is cool, too. I hope castroneves doea not come over full time. I'm not a fan of his.

A young driver from Indy lights could make a good fit for penske, as he could groom him there for a few years before moving him to IndyCar. Kind of did that with Briscoe.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 15:26 (Ref:3761201)   #708
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Sharp could buy an Acura NSX.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 15:33 (Ref:3761203)   #709
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Sharp could buy an Acura NSX.
So you would rather see Sharp in an Acura NSX, than have the 2 Nissan DPis on the grid? Wonky!

L.P.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:00 (Ref:3761209)   #710
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
So you would rather see Sharp in an Acura NSX, than have the 2 Nissan DPis on the grid? Wonky!

L.P.
Wonky is his entire MO.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:13 (Ref:3761214)   #711
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

L.P.
Unlikely, but who knows.
The only thing I may not like for 2018 season is that any mazda, nissan or cadillac dpi, seems will be sold to some other teams.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3761218)   #712
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder how long Colin Braun will stay with core in GTD given the prototype shake ups? I know he's had his history with that team and his dad engineers for them, but he always seemed like a good choice for the P cars.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:29 (Ref:3761220)   #713
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Probably not until there's a Porsche DPi.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3761221)   #714
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Colin tied to Porsche directly? I didn't mean for CORE to run a DPi, more like he leaves CORE to fill an all-pro Prototype seat.
Old 23 Aug 2017, 19:53 (Ref:3761252)   #715
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Is Colin tied to Porsche directly? I didn't mean for CORE to run a DPi, more like he leaves CORE to fill an all-pro Prototype seat.
I think his attactment with Core through dad and driver coaching for boss Bennet plus their side projects (Red Bull GRC and I think other GT races) keeps Colin happy unless a great offer comes along from another big team.

If WTR or Penske come knocking with a great offer maybe, but not sure he'd get signed over Sean Rayhall for a DPi team since he has been out of the P2 chassis a while and Sean has been running for United and others. But if United keeps Daytona and Sebring in their plans he might be convinced to stay there.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 15:08 (Ref:3761381)   #716
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I never said Sharp should sell the DPi.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:01 (Ref:3761389)   #717
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Duncan Dayton at Highcroft knew when to start driving Historics and let the pros drive his pro cars .... Ed Brown seems to have found safer places to race ..... Scott Sharp still has a couple seasons, I think, but he definitely needs to consider a slow (himself and Van Overbeek) and a fast (Dalziel/Derani) car.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:14 (Ref:3761391)   #718
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I never said Sharp should sell the DPi.
He'd be in a GT-R, considering his team gets money from Nissan kinda.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:39 (Ref:3761397)   #719
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Duncan Dayton at Highcroft knew when to start driving Historics and let the pros drive his pro cars .... Ed Brown seems to have found safer places to race ..... Scott Sharp still has a couple seasons, I think, but he definitely needs to consider a slow (himself and Van Overbeek) and a fast (Dalziel/Derani) car.
Once all the kinks are worked out of the cars, and clear evidence that a different pairing should happen, then yeah. But a first and third after the change in electronics, from Cosworth to Motec, leaves question as to whether or not that is necessary. It's preferable to have both cars in the hunt for the top step if possible, IMO.

L.P.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 16:51 (Ref:3761400)   #720
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I always felt that Ed Brown was never really comfortable in a prototype. I got the impression they twisted his arm to get him in it. He was often slower than the GTD cars, in an LMP2. That isn't going to be much fun for anyone, even an Am. I hope he's more comfortable and enjoying racing more now.
Old 24 Aug 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3761406)   #721
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I always felt that Ed Brown was never really comfortable in a prototype. I got the impression they twisted his arm to get him in it. He was often slower than the GTD cars, in an LMP2. That isn't going to be much fun for anyone, even an Am. I hope he's more comfortable and enjoying racing more now.
He said as much when they first switched from GT.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3761435)   #722
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MP brought up Toyota/Lexus as the 5th DPi manufacturer that has been rumored. If true, that makes a ton of sense.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 01:06 (Ref:3761436)   #723
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
MP brought up Toyota/Lexus as the 5th DPi manufacturer that has been rumored. If true, that makes a ton of sense.
I could see them coming back with a Lexus badged DPi, especially with Acura coming in. How's the engine from their GTD car? Honestly can't remember much of their effort other than a few spectacular impacts of their own making and innocent bystander.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 01:41 (Ref:3761440)   #724
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
GT3 engine should be similar to (though more powerful than) the old DP engine. And I don't think that the Lexus GT3 has had any reliability issues, at least in shorter races.

It hasn't been a common sight outside of GTD and VLN, though.
Old 25 Aug 2017, 03:18 (Ref:3761451)   #725
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
GT3 engine should be similar to (though more powerful than) the old DP engine. And I don't think that the Lexus GT3 has had any reliability issues, at least in shorter races.

It hasn't been a common sight outside of GTD and VLN, though.
It's raced every race in GTD, GTOpen and Super GT with 2 cars each this year. That's more than the NSX has done. And it's won races in each series it's raced aside from WTSC.