Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 25 May 2017, 09:41 (Ref:3735896)   #51
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's hope they rent it to someone as soon as possible...
Old 25 May 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3735900)   #52
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Shame that - the Seat was a good looking car (yes it matters! ) and brought a bit of variety to the grid.
I agree on both counts: I thought it was a great looking car and, as you say, it bought some variety to the grid.

Speaking of which, I see that JRM will be in attendance at the Silverstone launch next week, so perhaps they may not be finished with rallycross yet? I have always thought the MINI was an awful looking car, but it's certainly a unique shape in the paddock and it would be good to see it back.
Old 25 May 2017, 10:17 (Ref:3735904)   #53
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I agree on both counts: I thought it was a great looking car and, as you say, it bought some variety to the grid.

Speaking of which, I see that JRM will be in attendance at the Silverstone launch next week, so perhaps they may not be finished with rallycross yet? I have always thought the MINI was an awful looking car, but it's certainly a unique shape in the paddock and it would be good to see it back.

I wish they used the normal 3 door instead...
Old 25 May 2017, 10:23 (Ref:3735906)   #54
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
I wish they used the normal 3 door instead...
Agreed - but I'm not sure how easy that would be, I know people that use them in rallying and they suffer from limited suspension travel (not sure how much modifying can be done around the mounts), very weak front ends (they need a lot of beefing up otherwise they bend under normal usage) and they're heavy compared with similar sized cars.
Old 25 May 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3735960)   #55
J.U.
Racer

Germany
Hamburg
J.U. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In one of the articles about Mikko Hirvonen's appearance in Silverstone (can't find it right now) I've read that JRM will be back with the Mini next year.
Old 25 May 2017, 16:42 (Ref:3735961)   #56
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Agreed - but I'm not sure how easy that would be, I know people that use them in rallying and they suffer from limited suspension travel (not sure how much modifying can be done around the mounts), very weak front ends (they need a lot of beefing up otherwise they bend under normal usage) and they're heavy compared with similar sized cars.

Good point! Didn't know about that weakness..
Old 25 May 2017, 18:46 (Ref:3735991)   #57
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The reason they use the Countryman shape is because that is the shape the WRC car was, and probably the homologated shape they can use.

And it was built by Prodrive, the original people who ran Doran's effort and the people that built and put together the Mini Cooper project initially until BMW for some reason and little explanation pulled the plug.
Old 25 May 2017, 19:00 (Ref:3735996)   #58
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
ebby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbu...moment-125906/

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Old 25 May 2017, 19:36 (Ref:3736009)   #59
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't Prodrive tampering with money from BMW? BMW was for some reason upset with Prodrive at least.
Old 25 May 2017, 20:39 (Ref:3736038)   #60
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have no idea what happened with Prodrive and BMW with the Mini, but to drop the project so quickly there must have been something iffy going on. I gather it was costing more than it should, so perhaps you are right.
Old 26 May 2017, 04:52 (Ref:3736095)   #61
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone got the start times for Sunday please. Usually try to get there 30 mins before practice. ? Thanks
Old 26 May 2017, 06:59 (Ref:3736106)   #62
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
Barrie weekend timetable here:

http://www.lyddenhill.co.uk/sites/de...Schedule_0.pdf

Old 26 May 2017, 09:14 (Ref:3736118)   #63
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks very much
Old 26 May 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3736238)   #64
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post
Just a quick one, change for car for Rene Munnich for Lydden and rest of the year.

https://www.motorsport.com/world-rx/...rx-car-909917/
I prefer the SEAT.

Audi, SEAT and now Citroen. Way too much money has that German.
Old 27 May 2017, 20:20 (Ref:3736489)   #65
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I prefer the SEAT.

Audi, SEAT and now Citroen. Way too much money has that German.
At least he spends his money on the right things

I've just about washed all of the dust off now - good day at Lydden today (usual weather - sun, thunder, lightning, rain, sun again). The VWs look so well set up, they look to be the class of the field and I can't see anything other than a 1-2 for them tomorrow. Andrew Jordan was going well too which was impressive as he'd not tested the car.
Old 27 May 2017, 21:23 (Ref:3736501)   #66
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Same here Bert, couldn't believe it when the thunder and lightening rolled in, tho at least it only last half hour or so not to bad.

Was a really enjoyable day, although I've only been going to Lydden for the last 4 years, on a lovely summers day like today it really is a great place to be. The VW's are stunning bits of kit, both Peter and Johan must be really enjoying driving them.

As for the Local boys, Andrew Jordan looked right at home in the car from the off and was certainly not lacking any commitment.

Dan Rooke continued from were he left off, still getting used to the RX2 car but looking very smooth an fast and just as much an equal to Cyril Raymond.

Ollie O'Donovan might not have the speed of the top boys but is great to watch, never gives up an races hard but fair.

Oliver Bennett is still learning the car, today was only the 4th time he's been in the car and despite that gave a good showing, a bit more seat time and better suited set up should see him easily move forward.
Old 29 May 2017, 08:36 (Ref:3737066)   #67
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad to see the last World Rallycross event at Lydden for the foreseeable future, but I thought it was an excellent weekend of racing and a fantastic way to celebrate 50 years of the sport.

I really wasn't convinced on the dominance of the PSRXVW cars until the latter stages of the weekend, as I was sure Ekstrom was holding something in reserve. I'm pleased that Solberg won it though and, as a consequence, has leveled the Championship standings up.

The track claimed a few victims, the loose section at the bottom of the hill was rather torn up by the end of the weekend with some pretty sizeable holes.

Superb performance from Jordan in a car he had zero seat time in. Another decent drive from Block and the Peugeot-Hansen cars fared better than expected. Good result for Rooke, Raymond is going to be a tough act to beat!

Fair play to Bennett, he certainly looked like he was trying! I thought Ollie might place a little higher, don't think he made too many friends out there though: his overtaking move during Q4 was the sort of thing I expect when racing online!

My only moan of the weekend was skipping lunch to catch the Group B cars on track again... only to see them turned around before they could get out! The priority is obviously the live TV though, so to be expected.
Old 29 May 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3737094)   #68
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The priority as we know it is anything but fans. I bet the crappy Rig riot still happened didn't it!

Sorry but that was supposed to be the big thing of the weekend for a lot of fans and it was shelved.

No wonder they are leaving.

I can remember Lydden as I like to remember it. Lovely track, chalk loose sections, lovely weather and lovely people at the track. Only one of those things remains.

I leave you to wonder which one.
Old 29 May 2017, 11:15 (Ref:3737102)   #69
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad to see Lydden go ...

The VWs are only going to get better I think. Only their fourth round and they will keep developing the car so it will probably get faster.

Strikes though me though how sideways they are going and still dominating times, Kristoffersson for example looks like a completely different driver. The tires don't seem to be an issue either.
Old 29 May 2017, 11:16 (Ref:3737103)   #70
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
The priority as we know it is anything but fans. I bet the crappy Rig riot still happened didn't it!
It did, though I think it was later than scheduled. Possibly delayed due to interviews (with the retro drivers) on the grid? Notably the Monster rig was far quieter (volume wise) than last year.

The racing from Sunday morning was running behind and what would have been a short lunch break was eaten into. If it hadn't for both Lance Foster and Barry Stewart having incidents they would have had time to fit the Group B's in but, sadly, they couldn't clear the track before the next scheduled set of races.

The Group B's did race twice on the Saturday so those who did both days at least got to see them in action. There were two Group B breakdowns on Saturday as well (Mark Flaherty and Enda Garvey), so it would have only been four cars out on Sunday. Still a shame, as Pat was put on a good show in the RS200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfades View Post
Strikes though me though how sideways they are going and still dominating times, Kristoffersson for example looks like a completely different driver. The tires don't seem to be an issue either.
I thought Johan was more sideways than Petter! Yeah, the cars look very strong now and, as you say, this is only the beginning.
Old 29 May 2017, 14:15 (Ref:3737136)   #71
Silhuette
Racer

Silhuette should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good race weekend overall, lots of clean racing and none of the crush into the first corner that so many tracks suffer from. What caught my eye was that the Polos were consistently making good starts, and then we finally see the raw speed they have been showing put to good use.

So, question we should ask is, are we seeing a good car or are we seeing a paradigm shift from the WRC origins and approach from VW Motorsport? If I remember correctly, the other cars are based on R5 rally cars or even street cars. We might be seeing that a low effort WRC offering from VW in the hands of arguably one of the best driver engineers in the sport, might take a similar level of factory support to even match.
Old 29 May 2017, 15:48 (Ref:3737161)   #72
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I have been reading reports that a lot of drivers were very concerned about the so called loos sections doing damage to cars.
Old 29 May 2017, 15:50 (Ref:3737162)   #73
ebby
Racer

United Kingdom
near Lydden, Kent
http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbu...-world-126422/

Old 29 May 2017, 16:35 (Ref:3737169)   #74
Hickey
Veteran

United Kingdom
London
Hickey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There were a lot more punctures than usual as the loose was rutting up a lot. It looked like going wide on the exit of cheesons caused punctures in the final. The RX2 cars didn't cope with the ruts and broke a few suspension arms (or something else around the wheel). However, they were so flimsy I'm starting to think that Lites was a good name for them!

For me, some of the best racing was in the touring car heats. Shame there weren't a few more of them. The RX2 class also put on really good racing.

I have an idea for the support classes which would suit all tracks and drivers and be great for spectators (but won't ever happen!). They should amalgamate / collapse the touring cars into the RX2. Maybe offer am incentive to those guys to join. That would lead to 30 entries, give or take. There are already 30 super 1600 and 30 ERX supercars . There are 9 rounds in Europe (excluding Hockenheim). So, if you had 2 support classes for each race in those 9 events, you'd have 18 in total. Divide that 3 ways and it's 6 events per class. With the numbers about that's 60 support cars, and 25 WRX guys. That's up to 85 cars per event and the numbers would be consistent. Each event has their fair share and you can move the support classes around each year to even it up. I.e. ypu get ERX supercars 2 out of every three years. For me, a transparent and fair split of the support classes and a guaranteed number of at least 80 cars per event would make the whole Championship so much better. At the moment the split is uneven, unfair and totally opaque
Old 29 May 2017, 16:53 (Ref:3737176)   #75
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I simply think you need a stable and consistent three support races per round.

No ERX. All Supercars all in, no more banning of private cars in WRX races.

Get rid of rwd, it was always a stupid class in the first place. Replace it with a proper supernational class. It is the best class in rallycross at the moment in Northern Europe. It doesn't get shown on tv anyway so it doesn't matter if you are using modern cars or not, that would bolster the grids more in Scandinavia where the class is strong, that is the basis for most classes up there anyway, and hopefully encourage it in Southern Europe more, it did in Belgium but that seems to have died a death, and over here you can run crappy little sports cars that are not rallycross cars which means big Volvo's and E30 Beemers have no chance.

Keep S1600 but perhaps try and limit development somehow. those cars are stupidly expensive.

Get rid of RX2, it's awful and always has been, one make classes should be at the lowest end not 100k per car. I would prefer a more stock say 1600 class using newer shape cars.