Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 1 Mar 2004, 11:29 (Ref:889946)   #126
Riley Imp
Rookie

Riley Imp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, the Spit is a Mk LF 1X, serial MJ730. It was sold to the USA in 2000, where I understand she is still in flying condition. I wonder whether the 109 was flown by Robs Lamplough. I believe he operated a Spanish built machine with a Merlin, rather than DB power.
Chris.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 22:34 (Ref:890715)   #127
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Riley Imp
Yes, the Spit is a Mk LF 1X, serial MJ730. It was sold to the USA in 2000, where I understand she is still in flying condition. I wonder whether the 109 was flown by Robs Lamplough. I believe he operated a Spanish built machine with a Merlin, rather than DB power.
Chris.
Thanks Chris, that would be an Avia then, wouldnt it? Always thought it ironic that they had Merlins, almost as ironic as the fact that a big customer after WWII was the fledgling Israeli Airforce......
Old 2 Mar 2004, 09:42 (Ref:891044)   #128
Riley Imp
Rookie

Riley Imp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is even more ironic Nick. The Spanish built 109's were produced by none other than motor manufacturer Hispano, including the licensed Merlin engine. The Avia machine was Czech built using tooling recovered from Germany and were DB powered as the original. They were indeed sold to the Israelis, who sent pilots over for training in Czechoslovakia as it then was. Still not sure whether it would have been the Lamplough machine at Snetterton, but I think he may have raced there, hence the guess.
Chris.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 09:58 (Ref:891059)   #129
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Robs posts here in the historic forum from time to time.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 20:58 (Ref:891678)   #130
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
Robs posts here in the historic forum from time to time.
Thanks for the info Andrew and thanks to Chris for filling in some details on Avias. I guess the most well known vintafe aircraft enthusiast who also raced was the late lamented Patrick Lindsay who had an original Mk I Spit, later passed to Victor Gauntlett I believe. I always thought that being able to fly to a circuit in your Spitfire then race your ERA had to be the ultimate...

Anyway,,,, back on topic I suppose!

Nick
Old 31 Dec 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1190537)   #131
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here are some 60s photos taken by Steve Bradley. Should enlarge when clicked on.

Prophet spins his Elva at the hairpin in the 1964 3 hour race.
Note the petrol station in the background with the A11 road running parallel to the Norwich Straight behind the hedge.

Bill Morris in his ERA also in '64.

Another Elva spinner. Paul loses it at Riches 1963.

The Minis of Hopkirk and Banks exit the Esses ( now known as 'Bombhole') 1965.

Same place also in '65, Bradley waves through Clark and Hill. In the background, another car can be seen turning into the Esses leaving the home straight, before the vehicle bailey bridge was built.

Coundley leads Amon at Russell in the 1966 Archie Scott-Brown trophy race.

Things often went wrong at Russell with the earth banks close to the track.
Blake's Anglia with Faller's Mini bank climbing. 1965.

Jack Sears, Mike Spence with Jim Clark, 1965.

The 1965 Hutcheson Galaxie 500.
Old 2 Jan 2005, 16:39 (Ref:1191669)   #132
Eric Falce
Veteran

United Kingdom
Orpington Kent
Eric Falce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hadnt raced at Snett since 1964,thought that I would at least recognize the bombhole this summer,always came out of the hairpin at the end of the straight,just a little lift off turning left into the bombhole and scrub off the speed ( no brakes on the E type after you had slowed the car on the Norwich straight anyway) as you came up out of the bombhole turning right,but this summer ,no bomb hole ,just a chicane,some one has filled it in. Yes,it was a bloody fast track,great fun.

Eric Falce