Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:16 (Ref:747844)   #1
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Retards in Race Control ruin another race

First up in my rant I don't want to take anything away from the winners. Congrats to Murph and Kelly for an absolutely commanding performance all weekend.

Commence rant:

Did they black flag the Ellery car when the entire front end was about to fall off ? No.

Did they apply a five minute penalty to the Smiths Trucks entry when it was spilling fuel all over pit lane ? No.

We were set for a fantastic battle between Murphy and Skaife right down to the wire but because of a slight problem with Skaifey's rear door (which was caused by the spasticity of John Bowe)and truly world class whinging from FPR we were robbed of a truly epic finish.

After the Murph/Lowndes incident earlier this year and now this debacle whoever makes these decisions in these races should be taken out into pit lane and publicy shot in the back of the head. Actually I take that back, as these imbeciles cleary have no evidence of any brain matter at all residing anywhere in or near their skulls a bullet to this area would not result in a fatal wound anyway.

The people making the above decisions in regards to these races are clearly out of their depth and in all seriousness should be immediately relieved of duty.

I used to attend every local round of both the V8 Supercar and Konica series. Never again.

Rant over.

Cheers, Buck.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:23 (Ref:747849)   #2
FatBoy
Racer

FatBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was pretty dirty that it spoilt the finish, but what do you do ??
I don't know the rules surrounding what happened so it's a bit hard to say whether the stewards made the right or wrong call...

I seem to remember a car running around without a rear door not so long ago, i wonder what the difference is ?? The door was only opening maybe 12 inches max...

Cheers,
Paul...
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:25 (Ref:747851)   #3
Scott75
Veteran

Scott75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more Buck!
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:31 (Ref:747860)   #4
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all comes down to the fact they persist with in race penalties rather than have post race tribunals.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:35 (Ref:747864)   #5
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was more surprised by the timing, right after the yellow flag. Probably would have been more fair to call him in during the pace car time.

BTW, what would have happened if he hadn't of come in and just driven to the finish???? Would he be able to appeal then??
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:40 (Ref:747869)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was my thought when he was called in, finish the race in second & then fight the decision out in the stewards room afterwards.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 07:41 (Ref:747872)   #7
Rhys_00
Racer

Rhys_00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Buckshot, FPR did a monumental whinge because they had been done over by similar rules before, makes sense for them to ask that consistency be applied to Skaife.
Jetsetter, would you prefer they allowed skaife to race on, potentially take the win, and then snatch the trophy back off him later, when they found that the door was dangerous?
Old 12 Oct 2003, 08:08 (Ref:747903)   #8
kbam
Rookie

kbam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wazs i seeing things or was Bowe passed skaifes a pillar and skaife turned into him when his door was actually damaged, if so he should hvae been black flagged for that....
Poetic justice after sandown anyway, if it had been anyone else they would have black flagged them 15 laps earlier, but they seen the flapping door as a hazard during the SC period.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 08:19 (Ref:747917)   #9
Rhys_00
Racer

Rhys_00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bowe didn't turn Skaife around, why would it warrant a black flag for Bowe? (Even though he did put a very chunky dent in car 1)
Skaife played the same games on race control at Sandown as race control *appeared to* be playing on him at Bathurst, when he was killing time making them fix the safety barrier so he could take the time-shortened '500' win. Eye for an eye I say, even though I'm sure Race Control are too professional for that..

Last edited by Rhys_00; 12 Oct 2003 at 08:20.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 08:51 (Ref:747966)   #10
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Retards in Race Control ruin another race

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot

We were set for a fantastic battle between Murphy and Skaife right down to the wire but because of a slight problem with Skaifey's rear door (which was caused by the spasticity of John Bowe)and truly world class whinging from FPR we were robbed of a truly epic finish.

I still think JB had the right to go for it up tyhe inside of Skaife, the gap was there and Skaife turned in on him, look where the contact was made on Skaifes car, it was the front door that was caved in as well as the back. Skaife deserved the black flag.
Ellery came in and fixed his front spoiler, it wasnt really flailing about like skaifes door.

I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good, either
Old 12 Oct 2003, 08:53 (Ref:747970)   #11
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why are you so dirty buckshot, shure it maght have been an interesting race to the flag but as was previously stated if it was anyone else they would of been puled in many laps earlier & a prescedent had previously been set.
if your so ****ed off about this decision does that mean you feel the same way about tander taking out bowe on the 3rd lap & not getting a penalty or steve richards taking bowe out 10 laps from the end & not getting a penalty??????????????
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:17 (Ref:747990)   #12
Hodge
Rookie

Hodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Retards in Race Control ruin another race

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckshot
The people making the above decisions in regards to these races are clearly out of their depth and in all seriousness should be immediately relieved of duty.
Ok well send them a letter and tell them they are doing it all wrong then throw your hat into the ring.......
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:17 (Ref:747991)   #13
TBMATT05
Rookie

TBMATT05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I with everyone here, I believe Skaife should have gone in a lot sooner because of his rear door. From the outlook of this it seems to be that Sakife like what his car number suggests is only concerned about one person Mark Skaife, he just seems to forget about the danger that it would of created to the people who work hard and pay money to be there just forget them, only focus on yourself. When the Stewards call you in because of a black flag, just stay out there a little longer, try to canive your way out the serious danger you car might pose to others.

You'll never be annother Brock mate, just try and win all you like, that's all you seem to be concerned about.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:31 (Ref:748016)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was watching Bathurst with a group of Melbourne based "Race Control" officials and we ALL made the "bring him in" call as soon as we saw the extent the door was able to swing open.

They took the weak option in my opinion.

However why didn't Grech call Skaife in as soon as the Safety Car was dispatched and fixed the car then and there. I don't know what the gap was between Skaife and 3rd but he wouldn't have lost as much ground if they had taken the bit between their own teeth rather than risking getting away with it.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:40 (Ref:748026)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hrrmmm.

Ellery's bumper flapping, well, they did come in and fix it volunarily, albeit it was knackered.

The Smith's Truck fuel leak- it wasn't as if the driver tore off with the hose still attached and knocked over half of pit lane. If you spent some time in the pits, you would probably find that things like that happen all of the time.

Now a precedent had been set when Besnard couldn't race at OP. It shouldn't have been up to FPR to say anything, because it should have been picked up instantly, and dealt with immediately. Probably not the most dangerous thing in the universe, but rules are rules, just should have been applied much earlier giving Skaife a better chance in the race.

Jetsetter- you can't go dealing with meatball flags after the race. Meatballs are for safety related, not for driving or other infringments. I mean if the car was on fire and spraying bullets into the ground, you can't really fix the situation after the race
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:55 (Ref:748052)   #16
rossp1
Rookie

rossp1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From where I sit congratulations to Murf.He had the wood on them all weekend and never really faltered.
And what a great victory for young Rick Kelly the now youngest ever winner of the 1000. Now let,s see if Murf can make it 2 bathurst wins in the one year as part of the driver line up with Pretty,Tander and Steven Richards in the 427 Monaro.
I,m not sure why AVESCO scheduled a V8 Superstars dinner in Melbourne During friday,s 24 hour night practice.[21/10/03] at BATHURST.[Mentioned during the 10 telecast]
Not only will they be down the 8 "Holden contracted drivers [other 4 listed below],but also other regulars like John Bowe and Brad Jones are in the Bathurst 24 hour.The other Monaro will be piloted by Peter Brock,Todd Kelly,Cameron Mc.Conville,and Jason Bright All information at www.bathurst24hr.com.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 09:59 (Ref:748057)   #17
vortexo
Veteran

vortexo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe Pretty is a bit sick and sore from the hit. He was taken to hospital = I hope he is ok.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:02 (Ref:748061)   #18
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hyuck hyuck hyuck hyuck... punters paying $90 a head for a night with TC...
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:03 (Ref:748063)   #19
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tottally agree with you Crash Test. As soon as i saw the door open he should have been told to come in. If he did'nt get a black flag imagine the up roar and justifibly so, after the race finished !
FPR had every right to ask questions after the stewards were not going to give him a penalty, especially after Besnard's OP round where he was'nt allowed to leave pit lane till it was fixed.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:08 (Ref:748066)   #20
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh, btw, Stop whinging Geoff Grech. I bet he would have been off to the stewards if it happened to someone in front of Skaifey.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:15 (Ref:748076)   #21
rocket
Racer

rocket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
grech stop whinging thats like asking perkins to be a fair driver
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:22 (Ref:748081)   #22
revhead_enigma
Rookie

revhead_enigma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes Skaife should have been brought into the pits to fix the car sooner, but why did they have to wait till just as the safety car pulled off because I was on the edge of my seat expecting a really close and great fight to the end between Skaife and Murph.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:40 (Ref:748104)   #23
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gaz170
I was more surprised by the timing, right after the yellow flag. Probably would have been more fair to call him in during the pace car time.

BTW, what would have happened if he hadn't of come in and just driven to the finish???? Would he be able to appeal then??
As I mentioned in the other thread - I suspect HRT were given the choice to fix the door voluntarily - which they obviously didn;t do (could have been done under the SC with minimal loss of time). Based on this I would suspect a black rather than meatball flag was used - for the very reason that disobeying that could have resulted in charges, fine and possible exclusion. (If anyone was there - which flag was used???)

As to how dangerous it was - lets suppose for a moment - Skaife is on e right hander, another car comes round the outside (and toplease another thread, lets say it was Bargs) - the door opens, the other car collects it...what happens then.

Or - comes into the pits, screams to a stop and the door opens and whacks a pit crew member or an official.

Yes - as PVDA said - should have been called in as soon as it was seen.
Old 12 Oct 2003, 10:52 (Ref:748118)   #24
William Dale Jr
Veteran

Australia
Townsville, North Queensland
William Dale Jr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given the background involving Besnard at OP, at least Race Control proved by bringing Skaife in that it really is one rule for everyone...
Old 12 Oct 2003, 12:16 (Ref:748221)   #25
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To a degree they did - but they left it too long IMHO - it should have been acted on straight away - without any prevaricating....