Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 25 Apr 2005, 10:16 (Ref:1286727)   #1
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying (again!)

If the powers that be feel the need to fiddle with qualifying even more, how about this suggestion...

I was watching the superbikes on fox, and their method of qualifying lead me to think about its usefullness for V8's. They do seperate qualifying for each race. They also talked about superpole but I didnt catch all of that.

What is everyones opinion on this method of qualifying? It seems to mix up the field a bit in the superbikes. I didnt like the sound of it when I first discovered it, but I think it actually works. There'd be further implications for the races throughout the round, maybe even things like fuel and tyre strategies.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1286778)   #2
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At world superbike rounds they have do not have a separate qualifying for each race. There is a 60 min qualifying session on the Saturday. The top 16 riders from that qualifying session go into 'Superpole', single lap session which forms the top 16 positions for BOTH races on Sunday.

It is a good system, Superpole is an interesting prospect but it is interesting watching how hard the riders choose push.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 11:29 (Ref:1286797)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe I was thinking of another motorbike series... could have sworn somewhere along the line there were seperate qualifying sessions for each race. Motogp maybe, or local superbikes? I could be wrong.
Old 25 Apr 2005, 12:55 (Ref:1286886)   #4
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Australian Super Touring Championship used to run 2 seperate qualifying sessions to set the grid for each race the next day. Qualifying 1 would settle for grid for Race 1, Qualifying 2 would set the grid for Race 2.

The World SBK system has been in place since Superpole was introduced in 1998. Prior to that i think the grid for both races was determined from the proper qualifying times, and was the same for both races.

....bloody one-lap qualifying, save it for Bathurst