Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:25 (Ref:726708)   #1
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Cheapest car to run?

Anyone have any ideas. Taking all the running costs of the car into account ? Just curious..

My guesses are something like a Pug 205 or that ?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 17:41 (Ref:726739)   #2
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always found my parents car was cheap to run, Dad can I borrow the car
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:24 (Ref:726890)   #3
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol! Parents cars always seem to be able to fill themselves up with petrol too..
Old 22 Sep 2003, 19:55 (Ref:726933)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There seems to be a lot of those damm Nissan Micra's about, so I guess they must be quite errr practical. Mostly driven by aged NIMBY's though with one side's indicator flashing.
Old 22 Sep 2003, 21:02 (Ref:727014)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
No..not a Nissan M...m....Micra!!!!

I think I'd rather walk please ?
Old 22 Sep 2003, 21:24 (Ref:727037)   #6
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whenever you're doing a costing do the full Monty -

Initial Cost (especially if you have to raise a loan)
Depreciation
Maintenance
Insurance
and finally petrol.

The answer is probably an old Skoda - puchase price next to nothing so depreciation must be zero

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 24 Sep 2003, 08:39 (Ref:728468)   #7
AlexF
Racer

United Kingdom
Newbury
AlexF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mini?

Alex
Old 24 Sep 2003, 08:46 (Ref:728476)   #8
Izzy
Rookie

Izzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go for the 205 . I get 130 kms out of 10 Ltr's gas in my 1.4 GR
Old 24 Sep 2003, 10:17 (Ref:728548)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexF
Mini?
Funnily enough, I was just saying to someone the other day I have never driven a Mini before.

A pre 1973 Mini would probably be cheap, no road tax (saving 100 quid a year..) insurance I'm not sure about because a few companies don't do classic car insurance for under 21's, and the plus side is I've worked on those era of engines before..(1275 cc's at least..).
Old 24 Sep 2003, 13:02 (Ref:728703)   #10
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
no road tax (saving 100 quid a year..)
And the rest!

Minis are nice and cheap to run, just watch for the rust. Long journeys are a bit of an effort, but other than that are great fun.

A post '84 (disc brakes) model is your best bet. All pre-73 models will be priced as 'classics' cutting out any saving on the road tax.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 09:43 (Ref:729528)   #11
paul c
Rookie

paul c should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drive a 15 year old Volvo 740 estate. It cost me £600 to buy, and probably won't lose a lot more. Let's face it, there's not a lot to lose really! If it's anything like the last one I had, it won't go wrong often, and will just need regular servicing, most of which I can do. There's no computer on board to go wrong, and with a Weber carb just fitted, the manual choke should make it more economical. I expect 30+ mpg on a run. Hardly what you'd get from a mini, but this won't need the same attention to bodywork rust so will be cheaper in the long run. It has 150,000 miles on it, so is probably good for another ten years before needing an engine rebuild judging from what other 740 drivers say. If I still have it then, then I guess for an initial outlay of £600 that's got to be pretty cheap to run (even if it's not exactly the most fun car to drive)!

OK, Volvo parts aren't exactly cheap but then you don't need too many of them. Insurance could be steep, but as an over 35 with full no-claims, again it's not bad.

Sneaking suspicion that Bluebottle's Granada might beat this though. How much did it cost?

Check out the Bangernomics website for some hints and tips. I think the basic idea is buy something old, unfashionable and executive like a Rover 800 or Volvo from an auction for a couple of hundred quid. Run it 'til it dies and repeat ad nauseum.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 10:40 (Ref:729572)   #12
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Depends on what kind of car you want really - generally your supermini stuff is going to be cheaper for insurance and fuel, and a Peugeot just old enough for all the **** trim to have fallen off is a solid enough buy, especially the diesels though they're good sellers off any pitch so tend to be pricey.

If you happen to like big old barges, you can do much worse than Japanese stuff. Early/mid nineties Nissan Maxima 3.0 V6 SE, leather, air, cd etc. could be yours for a grand. An early Lexus LS400 ('91/2) can be yours for around 3k. Any big Japanese saloon that's done its depreciation is a solid buy - as long as its got a long ticket and a stamped up book mileage is no issue this side of 250,000, and you can bank on electrics more reliable than Voyager...
Old 25 Sep 2003, 10:47 (Ref:729579)   #13
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
No..not a Nissan M...m....Micra!!!!

I think I'd rather walk please ?
You don't have to learn to drive in one with the instructor from hell shouting at you cos you've nearly scratched his precious car....
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:04 (Ref:729600)   #14
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Ha!

I had a good old trusty P-reg Ford Fiesta diesel as my instructors car, he was a cool chap.
Showed me how I should drive one day. He proceeded to drive in town centre, with one hand on wheel and fag in the other!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:08 (Ref:729604)   #15
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If your driving is mainly urban get a Fiat Cinquecento - chepa to buy cheap to run and suprisingly well built - lots still on the road from up to ten years ago (unlike some other Fiats....)
Old 25 Sep 2003, 11:36 (Ref:729632)   #16
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Ha!

I had a good old trusty P-reg Ford Fiesta diesel as my instructors car, he was a cool chap.
Showed me how I should drive one day. He proceeded to drive in town centre, with one hand on wheel and fag in the other!
wish i had a fiesta instead...
Old 25 Sep 2003, 12:02 (Ref:729646)   #17
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
a 205, or a MK2 polo are good. Minis arn't because they are relatively unreliable, slow, and drive poorly by todays standards.

They are also pretty expensive to buy, the above you can get for 400 or so with MOT, and a mini for that price would be f*****!
Old 25 Sep 2003, 20:52 (Ref:730132)   #18
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda Insight? Theres one on Autotrader with 6k on the clock for £6995. Although the initial price is higher than an older car, you get the lowest tax bracket, 8 year warranty on the electric motors, a combined MPG of more than 80mpg, lowish insurance, and a car that you don't see every day. Plus it's a Honda, so it won't break down much. I figure if you do over 500 miles a week like I do, the money you will save on fuel will easily cover any loan payments you have to make, effectively cancelling out the loan while giving you an almost new car.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 21:20 (Ref:730176)   #19
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul c
Sneaking suspicion that Bluebottle's Granada might beat this though. How much did it cost?

It cost around £10000 when Aly's Dad bought it new in 1984, he gave it to us 7 years ago and it's been costing money ever since Fuel consumption isn't bad for it's age and size, up to 30mpg on motorway runs but in the mid teens around town. It's insurance isn't as cheap as it could be because it's insured for "class one business use (including occasional use as a musician)" although quite how I can use a Granada as a musician defeats me at the moment.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 21:49 (Ref:730206)   #20
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A friend of mine once showed that his Granada quickly became a very effective amplifier when the manifold fell off...

When I put the phone down, I could actually hear it just under 3 miles away.

Last edited by garcon; 25 Sep 2003 at 21:50.
Old 25 Sep 2003, 21:50 (Ref:730208)   #21
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 26 Sep 2003, 08:04 (Ref:730507)   #22
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Honda Insight? Theres one on Autotrader with 6k on the clock for £6995
I thought that Honda were only leasing in Insight (or was that only in the US) to prevent them turning up as worthless 2nd hand cars within a couple of years.
Old 26 Sep 2003, 20:03 (Ref:731323)   #23
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
I thought that Honda were only leasing in Insight (or was that only in the US) to prevent them turning up as worthless 2nd hand cars within a couple of years.
The `leased only' cars in the US were the General Motors EV-1s. One had to modify ones home electrical system to accomodate the special charger in order to be able to do a full overnifght charge. The small `local' charging cord would `add a little' if you left it on for at least an hour. Amazingly enough, many of the lessors wanted to buy the cars when the leases were up. It was a legal maneuver by GM as the cars were not up to 100% regulatory compliance and somehow they could be used, tested and written off.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 14:30 (Ref:731756)   #24
peteconnors
Racer

United Kingdom
Shropshire
peteconnors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Insight cost £27,000 per car to build, but Honda sold them for £17,000. So £6,995 for one with 6k on the clock ain't bad! The beauty is that you don't have to modify your house to plug the thing in every night, as it's a hybrid, rather than full electric. Cleverly, it has an electric motor to give some extra grunt when required. When it's not, the car uses natural friction built up in the car (braking etc) to charge the motor back up. Genius. Apparently you can expect to see the Honda/Acura NSX with the same technology next year. They reckon 300hp from the petrol motor and two electric motors developing 50hp each, so 400hp in total. And 42mpg.
Old 27 Sep 2003, 15:01 (Ref:731815)   #25
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by peteconnors
They reckon 300hp from the petrol motor and two electric motors developing 50hp each, so 400hp in total. And 42mpg.
Assuming one can keep a light foot on the `loud pedal'.