Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 May 2004, 14:43 (Ref:988268)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schuey and the pit lane exit.

I understand that this will probably unleash the floodgates for schueybashing but.........

Did anyone notice his excessive used of the pit lane exit when lapping other cars, especially when Heidfeld was exiting the pits which so easily caused an acident.

Why are there rules for cars exiting over this line put not for cars already out on track?
Old 30 May 2004, 14:45 (Ref:988272)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Simple answer. You can cross from the track to the exit but not the other way around. Its up to the exiting driver and the pit lane marshal to determine what's safe. MS ran it close but it wasn't that much of an issue really. RB had a closer shave.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:988276)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There is no rule for cars already on track. (apart from the normal try not to hit anyone). They can use as much of the road as they like.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:988277)   #4
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with PM and AA...it's quite a one way thing..the cars exiting pits are not allowed to cross that line when coming out of the pitlane simply because they are unsighted and couldn't see who's charging down the straight..but nothing (besides common sense) stops the guy on the track to enter that zone .

I watched the replay, and MS did enter that area you mentioned, but he didn't do it excessively...he was lapping a guy and that guy didn't exactly give him much room.

But yes, it may result in a nasty accident, but that's beyond MS's control. The backmarker's responsibility to get OUT of the way and give MS room to pass..which he didnt. (whoever that guy was i don't remember)

Of course, nobody sensible would enter that lane for no good reason.

Last edited by Gt_R; 30 May 2004 at 14:48.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:52 (Ref:988289)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There was nothing unusual in what MS did at all. It happens in every race......although Nurby's pit lane markings seem to be a lot closer to the racing line than most tracks.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:37 (Ref:988360)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Michael did nothing wrong. In actual fact, i thought he was very lucky not have been taken out himself, Panis and Webber were a little "rude" imo.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:57 (Ref:988386)   #7
Meroo
Racer

Australia
South Coast NSW
Meroo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems to be very hard for cars leaving pit lane to see those on the racing line.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:58 (Ref:988390)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I think we saw that with the number of back-markers that came out and did something odd.
Old 30 May 2004, 17:41 (Ref:988455)   #9
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All of the comments about rules for cars already on the track are true. The other matter of stewards making the call on safety - Michael was getting squeezed at the time also and really had nowhere else to go.
Old 30 May 2004, 17:48 (Ref:988457)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Meroo
Seems to be very hard for cars leaving pit lane to see those on the racing line.
Not really, they're always warned if a fast car is approaching on the straight. (blue flags) However I'm not sure if the cars already on track are shown the white flag. I think it should, but frankly I don't remember seeing them. :confused:
Old 30 May 2004, 17:50 (Ref:988458)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was caught in the wrong place at the wrong time through absolutely no fault of his own A LOT today. He was lucky not to caught up in at least 1 of those close calls.
Old 30 May 2004, 18:55 (Ref:988510)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
Not really, they're always warned if a fast car is approaching on the straight. (blue flags) However I'm not sure if the cars already on track are shown the white flag. I think it should, but frankly I don't remember seeing them. :confused:
They are shown the blue flashing lights, but then they can't see the car if it is behind or slightly behind them. Mainly due to the high sides. They may know it is there, but where?!
Old 30 May 2004, 18:57 (Ref:988512)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, close! If no car is coming, the lights don't flash!
Old 30 May 2004, 19:48 (Ref:988568)   #14
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a smidgen hairy at points, though.
Old 30 May 2004, 22:14 (Ref:988684)   #15
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering he is on the track not exiting the pits he can take what line pleases.He broke no rules altough he did come close to greif a couple of times.

The Grumpy1
Old 31 May 2004, 07:07 (Ref:988877)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Furthermore, he was somehow forced to get those lines, because of a lapped crowd right there.
Old 31 May 2004, 11:05 (Ref:989102)   #17
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm more concerned with the entry to the pit lane- almost everyone was cutting in late to the pitlane and driving across the red/white painted section designating the pitlane entry.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 31 May 2004, 11:09 (Ref:989106)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Mattracer
I'm more concerned with the entry to the pit lane- almost everyone was cutting in late to the pitlane and driving across the red/white painted section designating the pitlane entry.
I think it is better they do that than try and make it before the white line. This could mean exiting the previous corner at a slower speed. As this would be done with no indication it could be quite dangerous to a car following closely, especially as if you then decided to get past a car moving slowly you may chose to go to the right (as JPM did when overtaking Klein).
Old 31 May 2004, 11:14 (Ref:989116)   #19
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well yes, but the markings are there to be observed otherwise, alter the markings. I don't see how the the pitlane enmtry can be deemed less dangerous or more safe than the pit exit...

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 31 May 2004, 14:34 (Ref:989299)   #20
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael's pit lane exit adventures

OK guys.
Try these links of mine to see if you can see the videos.
They show exacttly what you are discussing.

That pit lane exit is definitely an interesting one, just ask Michael.

http://homepage.mac.com/emeseditori...eTheater82.html

MS/Panis

http://homepage.mac.com/emeseditori...eTheater84.html

MS/Heidfeld/Panis

http://homepage.mac.com/emeseditori...eTheater83.html

MS talks about his Webber encounter.

Note:
Just tried them and they can't be accesssed by clicking on the link - I don't know why - if you can break the code, they are there for you to see.

Last edited by race aficionado; 31 May 2004 at 14:36.
Old 31 May 2004, 15:15 (Ref:989319)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Well yes, but the markings are there to be observed otherwise, alter the markings.
They aren't there to be observed, they are just like kerbs/markings at each corner.
Quote:
I don't see how the the pitlane enmtry can be deemed less dangerous or more safe than the pit exit...
The exit is much more dangerous. The pit lane cars are going much slower and don't have tyres (and brakes to a lesser degree) up to full temperature. At the entry there is hardly any relative speed differential (unless you tried to make the first marking for the pit lane) and the car is up to temperature.

Which is why there is a rule for the exit and not for the entry.

And cheers race aficionado for the links.

Last edited by Adam43; 31 May 2004 at 15:15.
Old 31 May 2004, 16:23 (Ref:989380)   #22
race aficionado
Racer

Colombia
Manhattan, NY
race aficionado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Michael's pit lane exit adventures

Quote:
Originally posted by race aficionado

Note:
Just tried them and they can't be accesssed by clicking on the link - I don't know why - if you can break the code, they are there for you to see. [/B]
Some have trouble opening them, try these:

http://homepage.mac.com/emeseditoria...Theater82.html

MS/Panis

http://homepage.mac.com/emeseditoria...Theater84.html

MS/Heidfeld/Panis

http://homepage.mac.com/emeseditoria...Theater83.html
MS on Webber