Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 14:04 (Ref:988212)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kamikaze

Not, very definitley not a BASH OK?

But really. Is Sato daft or what? The only word I caught in the entire Turkish commentary was "kamikaze". He had no need to go for it at that point. Up to then he was in the running for driver of the race but really. Then to cap it all (and I do believe he had some input to this) his engine blows again!
Old 30 May 2004, 14:08 (Ref:988217)   #2
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Uh...terribe move by Sato... in experience ad over exuberence i guess.. but he has had quite a few spectacular moments in his career and youd think he would learn from them...
Old 30 May 2004, 14:11 (Ref:988221)   #3
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I felt sad for him. I really wanted to see him on the podium. Earlier in the race i was commenting on how much he has chilled out and how he seems to be giving other drivers respect on the track and he went and did that.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:18 (Ref:988227)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've seen worse......give the guy a break. If that move came off you'd be hailing him as the next Senna or something.

He had the guts to give it a go anyways.......

Still, I feel terrible for him, he deserved at least 3rd today, but 2nd was there for the taking.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:20 (Ref:988231)   #5
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
I've seen worse......give the guy a break. If that move came off you'd be hailing him as the next Senna or something.
He had the guts to give it a go anyways.......
Still, I feel terrible for him, he deserved at least 3rd today, but 2nd was there for the taking.
i fully agree....he really deserved a podium today.....
Old 30 May 2004, 14:21 (Ref:988235)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hate to say it knowlesy.... If it wouldve been someone else... *cough RS* *cough*... there wouldve been 10 threads bashing the guy by now.... ... fact is he tried a rather silly move and paid for it...
Old 30 May 2004, 14:22 (Ref:988236)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The kid tried his best. No doubt his day will come.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:23 (Ref:988237)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes ralf fan, but RS is a veteran and you wouldn't really expect it of him.

Besides, when has he ever tried to overtake anyone?
Old 30 May 2004, 14:38 (Ref:988259)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Knowlesy. As I said it isn't a bash. But he was too damn far back it was never going to come off.

So no he let himself down when he should have kept it together for a podium.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:39 (Ref:988263)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Perhaps I should add here that had it been JV it would definitely have succeeded, just like Montreal when he speared into Ralf.

(Phew, managed to get JV into another thread)
Old 30 May 2004, 14:43 (Ref:988267)   #11
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went ....... "Awwwww..." when i saw that.

Prior to that, i was simply impressed with the way Sato had raced today...he was fast, and consistent, and kept himself ahead of Button.

But then that move... *sigh*. What's sad is that Sato has that 2nd position for his taking, it's only a matter of when. All he needs is a little patience.

Sato tried to take him when he's too far back...and that cost him. Inexperienced? Over-ambitious? It cost him an extra stop.

But it didn't matter..the engine blew...but still, Sato cost himself a podium.

But good drive otherwise, neatly outpacing Button.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:44 (Ref:988270)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No Pete, i know you weren't bashing.

But I know that the Taku bashers will be here anytime soon to tear him to pieces. And when the V********e fans come along.......
Old 30 May 2004, 14:45 (Ref:988273)   #13
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Passing takes the cooperation of two drivers. If the driver being passed does not know the guy behind is coming then things like this can happen. All Sato had to do was be patient. He had driven a pretty good race so far. He was the best on the brakes at that spot. On his first lap an error got him stuck behing KR who was dirt slow allowing MS to take off into the distance. Had he kept his position he would have had 2nd by miles because he was that much faster than JT, and RB.

BAR Honda are in a tough position now. What can be done about this situation. It is costing the team a shot at 2nd. Its nice to see JB comfortable in 3rd but the constructors in more important now.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:988275)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At least JV was able to use the rain as an excuse, although it too was rather ambitious.
Sato I am afraid needs to start focusing on driving some good consistent races. One gets the feeling he is trying to run before he can walk. That move never had a chance and he only has himself to blame.
Think Jenson will send him a Thank You card?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 May 2004, 14:47 (Ref:988278)   #15
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The real problem with BAR is reliability of Sato's car. They are very much a one car team - much like Ferrari in the early years of the comeback.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:47 (Ref:988279)   #16
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace Think Jenson will send him a Thank You card? [/B]
You're mean
Old 30 May 2004, 14:47 (Ref:988280)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Agred Neil. Renault are leaving them behind.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:50 (Ref:988285)   #18
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
... and the most frustratin thing is that we are faster than Renault. They just have thier ducks in line while we are still scrambling around.

Does anyone know how a driver can cause the car to fail. Or, a better question, what does JB do that prevents his own from failing.

Sato leap of faith was a very poor choice but how could that lead to his car failing? Woud the extra stop or the time in the pits cause it? I dont get it.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:52 (Ref:988291)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Sato had his last extra long stop. Heat building, it probably didn't help with the engine...
Old 30 May 2004, 14:54 (Ref:988293)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sato's move didn't come off, but it was worth a try and he'll learn from it.

As for the engine failures - they're bad luck, and I don't think Sato's driving has any influence on them.
Old 30 May 2004, 14:54 (Ref:988295)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Button is a very smooth driver with the throttle as well, Sato is rather more aggressive with it (it seems) which probably doesn't help reliability....nevertheless, his engines still shouldn't be letting go in every race.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:28 (Ref:988349)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya
The real problem with BAR is reliability of Sato's car. They are very much a one car team - much like Ferrari in the early years of the comeback.
The Ferrari team of a few years back wouldn't have allowed the No 2 driver to be ahead of the No 1 driver

Shame for Sato, but he will learn from this and i reckon he'll get his podium before the season is out, Japan maybe?

Last edited by Mr V; 30 May 2004 at 15:28.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:32 (Ref:988355)   #23
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good on him for having the balls, and audacity, to go for such a move. Hey, it didn't come off, but half a second more and it could have. Dave Richards wants his guys to race, not pussy-foot around.

Certainly worth a try and it's mistakes like that which he will learn from.
Old 30 May 2004, 15:33 (Ref:988357)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
The Ferrari team of a few years back wouldn't have allowed the No 2 driver to be ahead of the No 1 driver

Come to think of it, they still don't
Old 30 May 2004, 15:43 (Ref:988373)   #25
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yes V-man, but I think Richards would have hit the blow Taku engine button in any case.