Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 May 2004, 15:50 (Ref:988378)   #26
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As unfortunate as it was for Sato as he deserved a podium for the way he drove today i can't say i was suprised when he threw it all away with his ambitious move, i just hope that he gets another chance to stand on the podium.
Old 30 May 2004, 16:38 (Ref:988413)   #27
Shoe-maker
Racer

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Shoe-maker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Sato had to go for it when he still had the chance.
Old 30 May 2004, 17:29 (Ref:988444)   #28
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jeez, he was catching Rubens fast with 10-11 or so laps still to go.
The most sensible thing to do was pressurizing Rubens, finding his weak spot and attacking him there.

That move was way too optimistic, quite like JV's move on Michael at Jerez, only it didn't work out for the overtaker this time.
Old 30 May 2004, 17:33 (Ref:988448)   #29
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lacking in experience and confronted with being a bit faster than a Ferrari . . . Me thinks the combination of these is what caused the youngster his problem.

I really wanted to see him succeed. I wanted to see him on the podium instead of his teammate.

"This is Takumo. So sorry for collision. Rubens drives a very wide car and I knew my engine was about to blow up. So sorry." It could have been the conversation on his side. I have noticed he has humility, a quality not particularly evident by his teammate and a few others.
Old 30 May 2004, 17:34 (Ref:988449)   #30
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be very unfair to judge Sato's performance solely on the incident he had with Rubens. Yes, Sato took a risk and it didn't pay off, but the nature of the corner allows the guy behind to dive in. This time, there was no room, but hindsight is a beautiful thing.

And what is that about Sato having a hand in blowing his engine? How is that? I know it would be tempting to assume Sato has something to do with his string of blown engines, as Button doesn't seem to suffer from it, but Coulthard doesn't have near the amount of enginefailures as Kimi has, yet where Kimi is concerened, it is just 'unfortunate'. So please, elborate.

What I see from Sato this year, is a guy who has improved on all fronts since 2002 and when all things put together, is a very, very fast driver. The thing a like about him is his eagerness and enthusiasm behind the wheel of a racingcar. It makes for great television. If racing could be a poem, Sato is recitating it.

The downside is that his eagerness and enthusiasm are costing him points, as is his poor engine-reliability, but hey, pointstotals is not what makes me a fan.
Old 30 May 2004, 17:40 (Ref:988454)   #31
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, whatever we all think of Sato's move, at the end of the day it's another lesson learned and his performance today will have done him the power of good.

This is a rough diamond that will shine in the future!
Old 30 May 2004, 18:28 (Ref:988492)   #32
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He got Barrichello by surprise, racing accident.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 30 May 2004, 18:29 (Ref:988496)   #33
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is when a Ferrari comes in contact with another car more often than not bits only fall off the other car?

Last edited by hamsmith; 30 May 2004 at 18:30.
Old 30 May 2004, 18:51 (Ref:988507)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
It would be very unfair to judge Sato's performance solely on the incident he had with Rubens. Yes, Sato took a risk and it didn't pay off, but the nature of the corner allows the guy behind to dive in. This time, there was no room, but hindsight is a beautiful thing.
Agreed. Except others made it past on the outside but waited for their chance.

Quote:
And what is that about Sato having a hand in blowing his engine? How is that? I know it would be tempting to assume Sato has something to do with his string of blown engines, as Button doesn't seem to suffer from it, but Coulthard doesn't have near the amount of enginefailures as Kimi has, yet where Kimi is concerened, it is just 'unfortunate'. So please, elborate.
I think you are questioning my stance. I believe a driver has at least a bit of control over the engine.

Quote:
What I see from Sato this year, is a guy who has improved on all fronts since 2002 and when all things put together, is a very, very fast driver. The thing a like about him is his eagerness and enthusiasm behind the wheel of a racingcar. It makes for great television. If racing could be a poem, Sato is recitating it.
I agree he has improved but then I ask myself why throw a certain podium finish awat for a rookie mistake. And er, "recitating"?

Quote:
The downside is that his eagerness and enthusiasm are costing him points, as is his poor engine-reliability, but hey, points totals is not what makes me a fan.
Good for you.

He was still a daft sod for ruining his own race though.
Old 30 May 2004, 19:01 (Ref:988516)   #35
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its called MOTOR RACING !....

he still got driver of the day from Brundle ...

Have to say i felt gutted for him , and its for sure something that will help him grow as a driver as its all experience gained..

In saying that ....it wasnt like he wasnt going to make the corner or anything like that ....I thought it was a great move that didnt pay off...Yes , a podium was on the cards , he gambled and it didnt pay off.....

but to try and say he had a part in the engine blow up is plain silly ...actually , its STUPID ....
Old 30 May 2004, 19:06 (Ref:988523)   #36
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No "MOTOR RACING2 is going out and getting points or winning. Throwing it away is being a daft sod. But you can of course draw your own conclusions.

However I'm amazed that anybody can say that a driver or circumstances caused by a driver, have no effect on the engine.

But whatever. I was sorry for him so let's hope he's learned a lesson eh?
Old 30 May 2004, 19:06 (Ref:988525)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
BTW. I take that as a personal attack.
Old 30 May 2004, 19:17 (Ref:988537)   #38
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
huh, huh... what else is new?

Although I tend to applaud Sato's go-for-it attitude, I think DR needs to reign him in somewhat. His bull in the china shop style of driving will work better after some track time which hopefully will lead to better judgement at picking his spots.
Old 30 May 2004, 19:20 (Ref:988540)   #39
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was sorry for him too...im sure he will learn from it ....

Yes , maybe Honda let Taku turn off the rev limiter and rev the hell out of the engine every race ....It the modern age of F1 , i dont think that happens anymore....as im sure he didnt touch Rubens backwards first ..

I hope Taku keeps his spirit as a racer...but learns from this at the same time....we obvoiusly have different idea's of Motorracing ....and i enjoy watching someone who wants to race and show some passion ...
Old 30 May 2004, 19:41 (Ref:988563)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's it, he gave it a go. We're always complaining about these processions....here is one of those trying to break the mould!
Old 30 May 2004, 20:09 (Ref:988586)   #41
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I nearly spilled my camomile when something happened in the race!

Fair play to young Sato - slightly misjudged and over-eager, but he had a go. Only person doing that today was Montoya - and look what happened to him.
Old 30 May 2004, 20:19 (Ref:988599)   #42
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
Good on him for having the balls, and audacity, to go for such a move. Hey, it didn't come off, but half a second more and it could have. Dave Richards wants his guys to race, not pussy-foot around.

Certainly worth a try and it's mistakes like that which he will learn from.
Cant find better words myself.. I agree completely.

Last edited by freud; 30 May 2004 at 20:20.
Old 30 May 2004, 20:30 (Ref:988607)   #43
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When he made that move, I was a little disappointed that he threw away the podium.

At least he's got the pace and the balls, but he just needs to work on his judgement a little more.

As for his engine failure, I guess it didn't help making the extra extended stop for the nose change. All it takes is the temps to go a little too high and a crucial part is weakened. Just look at JPM at the A1-ring last year with the restart.

Just a thought anyway.
Old 30 May 2004, 21:22 (Ref:988652)   #44
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Yes ralf fan, but RS is a veteran and you wouldn't really expect it of him.

Besides, when has he ever tried to overtake anyone?
At least 5 times in Bahrayn.

If I remember correctly, he actually passed another car 4 times on camera that day.
Old 30 May 2004, 21:52 (Ref:988666)   #45
grumpy1
Veteran

grumpy1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted Sato as blockhead of the race only because he threw it all away.It was a silly move from so far back but he will learn from it.He will stand on the podium this year which is more than we can say for some of the vetrans.
Prior to his boo boo he was faultless so we should all look forward to another driver to take it to MS and Rubans.

The Grumpy1
Old 31 May 2004, 01:07 (Ref:988774)   #46
frederick
Rookie

frederick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a pity that some of the Fanboys on this forum, that profess an interest in F1, don't take more of an interest in the technical side of it.

with regard to the Driver having an influence on engine life, of course he does! take the BAR drivers as an example:

Jenson is noted for having a smooth driving style, this doesn't just mean that he takes smooth flowing lines through the corners, it also means that he has a smooth technique with the application of throttle and brakes

Taku, on the other hand has a more "frenzied" approach with the car, sure he has great car control and he is bloody quick, but he lacks a little finesse when compared to Jenson.....I'm sure it will come with experience.

Whenever a driver is prone to apply large amounts of throttle and counter it with equally large amounts of brake he creates the effect of dumping too much fuel into the engine for a brief moment, the engine soon "catches-up" with the available fuel and burns it, but there is a small excess for a short while which washes past the piston and acts as a solvent on the oil film covering the cylinder wall.......loss of lubrication......increased heat......increased wear

If you combine this with the effect of Heat Soak after a long stop, which makes the engine more sensitive to the need for lubrication, you create a recipe for disaster.

Taku's engines detonate, Jenson's do not, and it's got bugger all to do with LUCK
Old 31 May 2004, 04:37 (Ref:988842)   #47
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if that's true, why isn't Michael Schumacher stressing his engine more when he trail brakes every single corner every lap?
Old 31 May 2004, 05:55 (Ref:988855)   #48
mike bt
Rookie

mike bt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's new? Sato's attempt at passing Barichello, and the result was entirely predictable, he's just too much of a hothead! Which is a great shame because otherwise he drove a terrific race. As for his engine blowing, could it be that Honda allow him a few more revs than Button?
Old 31 May 2004, 07:05 (Ref:988874)   #49
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Its been pointed out that the use of the word "kamikaze" may be inaccurate and have an emotional impact on some posters. As such I apologise but I should point out that I'm only repeating what the commentators on NTV used and also it appears that "Bild" the German newspaper may also be using it (see Daily Telegraph).

The engine thing is interesting because when they had two way telemetry they could influence the driver's input. However now there is only the loud pedal to contol the engine's functions so the driver may have more input to breakages.

That's basically why I posed the question.

All of what has been said in terms of "good stuff", I agree with, but my point was that he was there in place to benefit from any mistake RB made and therefore to chuck it away was a bit daft. (In the nicest possible sense of the word). So I'm frustrtated for him.

I didn't know Martin had made him man of the race but I don't have to agree with Martin all the time and in this case I can't.
Old 31 May 2004, 07:13 (Ref:988881)   #50
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you are questioning my stance. I believe a driver has at least a bit of control over the engine.
Even Kimi?

Quote:
I agree he has improved but then I ask myself why throw a certain podium finish awat for a rookie mistake. And er, "recitating"?
Yes, I looked it up in the dictionairy.

Quote:
He was still a daft sod for ruining his own race though.
Yup, only this time the blowup felt somewhat relieving, in the sense that he obviously wouldn't finish anyway.
Closed Thread