Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Jun 2004, 12:51 (Ref:990293)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Ferrari reshuffle

With the death on Friday of Umberto Agnelli, Fiat has appointed Luca Montezemolo as its new chairman (they are also now seeking a chief executive, as the previous one resigned in protest at Montezemolo's appointment!). It is now rumoured on Autosport.com that Jean Todt will succeed Montezemolo as President of Ferrari and Ross Brawn may become sporting director in Todt's place, perhaps also retaining his position as technical director.

This, then, is the first real test of Ferrari's strength in depth. Will a reshuffle distract them or will they continue to stroll to another pair of titles?

My money's on the latter.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 12:54 (Ref:990301)   #2
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brawn doing both jobs of technical director and sporting director... aren't they different jobs? He may have difficulty.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 12:56 (Ref:990304)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I don't think he will keep both jobs... Ferrari will find a replacement soon.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:04 (Ref:990318)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they can afford a gradual change, therefore they'll have no problem.
This kind of a change will just reboost each involved person's motivations, cos it will imply a generalized upward evolution, a situation everybody would like to encounter, after some years in the same position.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:25 (Ref:990348)   #5
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From what i've read around, everything is well with Ferrari.

Jean Todt had before the death of Agnelli (last month to be exact), been promoted to take on the role as Ferrari Managing Director. This move follows Luca di Montezemolo's election to be President of the Confindustria which leaves him with less time to spend with Ferrari. Luca still remains as the President of Ferrari Maserati group at present while taking on his new role at FIAT - although with the new role at FIAT, Jean Todt would be further promoted to take over Luca's Ferrari/Maserati role.

The new responsibilities may be a burden on Todt, hence Brawn would move north to take charge of Ferrari's Sporting programs, most significantly Ferrari's F1 program.

His techical director role, as of current status, would stay. However it is not an important issue because Ferrari and Brawn had already have some internal program to groom in-house successors (as replacement to Bryne and Brawn)...and would be called upon if Brawn have difficulty handling both tasks.

Luca's new role is welcomed. Luca is one very very capable man, under his leadership, Ferrari and Maserati had grown alot. And he is now trying to work his magic on the struggling FIAT empire.

Ferrari had a foundation strong enough to withstand such a structural distraction. Hence i don't think there's much to worry about at this moment.

In fact, it is a good news because people have always wondered what would happen come the day the dream team of MS/Brawn/Bryne/Todt quits. While MS and Bryne looked set to retire from their respective jobs, the new appointments signal stronger commitment by the other 2 to the future of Ferrari.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 13:45 (Ref:990374)   #6
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wanna bet?
When MS retires he will take on Brawn's current role
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:47 (Ref:990529)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
http://www.gazzetta.it/primi_piani/m...97104732.shtml

Luca is staying on as Ferrari president - according to him it is what matters most to him.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:55 (Ref:990535)   #8
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Wanna bet?
that would'nt surprise me at all........
Old 1 Jun 2004, 16:58 (Ref:990538)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by climb
Technical director?

I don't dispute Michael's technical prowess as a driver, but he's hardly had a training that matches Brawn's or the job description. That is also not to say he won't have a role in Ferrari (although IMHO he may just go home and play football with the kids).
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:00 (Ref:990543)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Schumacher is amazing, but a technical director he ain't.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 17:11 (Ref:990555)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The guy will race for some time until there... let's see.
Old 1 Jun 2004, 18:18 (Ref:990620)   #12
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I would have thought that, if anything, Michael was more suited to the role of sporting director rather than technical director.
Old 2 Jun 2004, 02:29 (Ref:991006)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think MS is even qualified to be a technical director besides setting up go Karts and changing the nose cone.

Yeah i agree...Michael's more suited to the role of Sporting Director...but MS said he's not interested.

Maybe they'd put him in the sportscar for FErrari/Maserati? Or use him as a senior consultant tester
Old 2 Jun 2004, 03:11 (Ref:991027)   #14
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shumacher has publicly stated that he has no interest in managing or getting ivolved in the technical aspect of the sport. he could continue as a media relations guy or in some fluff position, such as is/was the case of jackie stewart with jordan. but with all the money he's made, i would have to imagine shumacher would just live with his family and live away from the limelight
Old 2 Jun 2004, 03:16 (Ref:991031)   #15
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
Schumacher is amazing, but a technical director he ain't.
Well MS is already a 'life-time' Ambassador at Ferrari. Remember a certain Niki Lauda roaming around the Ferrari pits untill a few season ago. He was also an 'ambassador' and was involved in technical decisions.

MS will probably have a similar role as Lauda did. He cannot really become a 'technical director' as he is not an engineer. Be I bet he will be a good ambassador and will help Ferrari in decision making etc..
Old 2 Jun 2004, 03:17 (Ref:991034)   #16
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Well MS is already a 'life-time' Ambassador at Ferrari. Remember a certain Niki Lauda roaming around the Ferrari pits untill a few season ago. He was also an 'ambassador' and was involved in technical decisions.

MS will probably have a similar role as Lauda did. He cannot really become a 'technical director' as he is not an engineer. Be I bet he will be a good ambassador and will help Ferrari in decision making etc..
yup totally agree with ya freud
Old 2 Jun 2004, 11:27 (Ref:991352)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by tblincoe
he could continue as a media relations guy or in some fluff position, such as is/was the case of jackie stewart with jordan.
Jaguar, surely?
Old 2 Jun 2004, 12:30 (Ref:991409)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Correct
Old 2 Jun 2004, 13:03 (Ref:991472)   #19
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there are two aspects to ferrari's winning form
a) michael
&
b)the bosses giving him what he needs

So the problems of fiat could well eventually cause ferrari difficulties further down the line.Nothing to worry about just yet though ferrari fans