Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:11 (Ref:499610)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
FIA to introduce a 'spy' into F1 cockpits

In order to police the new electronic regulations, the FIA are introducing a monitoring device to be fitted to cars from the British GP onwards.

www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=4742
Old 7 Feb 2003, 16:46 (Ref:499644)   #2
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anything that makes it easier for The FIA to police the teams must be taken as a good idea in my view
Old 7 Feb 2003, 17:17 (Ref:499702)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ditto.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 18:57 (Ref:499801)   #4
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto that
Old 7 Feb 2003, 21:21 (Ref:499906)   #5
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Well, ditto, but how will it work? Can a technically minded person please say how they can 'read' the signals or however. Besides, if a team wanted to, I'm sure they'd mask the signals of something along those lines - something so it didn't work.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 21:43 (Ref:499922)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I think banning these aids is a stupid idea, but if they have to be banned, then....
Good on Ross to be working with them on this important piece of technology.

Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 7 Feb 2003 at 21:44.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 21:59 (Ref:499954)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do you think its a stupid idea Inigo? Surely the more difference the driver can make to the result the better?
Old 7 Feb 2003, 22:07 (Ref:499971)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
if they can police it better than they could before (ie at all) then it's a good thing. like damon says, introducing the driver back into the equation can't be a bad thing...
Old 7 Feb 2003, 22:16 (Ref:499992)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I'm just a technology junkie, I guess. I see the electronic aids as part of the natural evolution in F1..
Old 7 Feb 2003, 23:06 (Ref:500083)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
acording to Peter van Egmond(a Dutch F1 photographer) who wrote a collumn this month at www.verstappen.nl Renault's great starts have everything to do with electronics.

Renault apperantly use the transponder in the tarmac to their advantage(the transponder sees the car, BUT: the team can also see the transponder), the driver just has to press the launch button when the first red light goes on, and when the transponder shuts of, the car launches.

Trulli and Button just had to hold that button.............

Peter heard this from someone who works at Renault.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 23:09 (Ref:500086)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was very true but the FIA figured out what was going on by the end of 2001 and banned that particular gizmo for fear it could be a danger, so they couldn't run it last year. Those Benettons were gaining 5 or 6 places at the start by literally being launched the 1000th of a second the lights went out.
Old 7 Feb 2003, 23:26 (Ref:500108)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
acording to Peter van Egmond(a Dutch F1 photographer) who wrote a collumn this month at www.verstappen.nl Renault's great starts have everything to do with electronics.
well...duh
Old 8 Feb 2003, 01:35 (Ref:500218)   #13
mirwin
Racer

mirwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the "spy" (whatever it may be), will not be designed by Ross Brawn!
Old 8 Feb 2003, 01:43 (Ref:500224)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I have it on good authority that none other than our 10-tenths computer wizard know as RED will not only design but also run the spy system. It is well know that Red is totally impartial in his support of all teams in F1.
Old 8 Feb 2003, 08:49 (Ref:500366)   #15
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by NiceGuyEddie
well...duh
that's the most inteligent comment I ever saw from you Eddie!!
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:22 (Ref:502187)   #16
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fia is doing itself no favours by making vauge pointless statements(as usual)

They're going to have to come up with some brilliant ideas before i will believe that this is anymore than just a publicity stunt.All the common types of 'legal' TC will be undetectable by any cockpit device!
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:29 (Ref:502192)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I say just employ a very small person to sit in the cockpit and watch the driver.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:58 (Ref:502217)   #18
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I have it on good authority that none other than our 10-tenths computer wizard know as RED will not only design but also run the spy system. It is well know that Red is totally impartial in his support of all teams in F1.

Ferrari domination !
Old 11 Feb 2003, 12:03 (Ref:503239)   #19
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Where did you find out that I'm going to design them? :confused: It was supposed to be highly classified....

PS: I am impartial.. (ok, more impartial with some teams than with the others)
Old 11 Feb 2003, 22:56 (Ref:503817)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Jukebox leaked the story.
Old 11 Feb 2003, 23:27 (Ref:503869)   #21
JamesJimmy
Rookie

JamesJimmy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just have an FIA official ride along, kind of like what The Monster said. Mechanics used to ride, why not officials? All cars could be like the McLaren two seater, only with a full race engine and car setup. Can you imagine riding through Monaco at speed in an F1 car and having no control over where you go? All right, seriously, I guess the monitoring is a good idea. I'm in favor of the driver making as much of a difference as possible, and if this is what they need to do to police it, then so be it.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 06:56 (Ref:504090)   #22
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh well VB, Juke played a trick on you! They indeed asked me to do it and made me chief of the entire project. What Juke did NOT tell you is that I convinced them that the idea is stupid and they abandoned it eventually...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 09:30 (Ref:504154)   #23
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The spy will only be as good as the latest technology.

Where there are mega-bucks and mega-intelligent designers they will always be able to work out cheats or developments that creatively bypass the rules.
Old 12 Feb 2003, 12:05 (Ref:504305)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

So we're back into the same cat-chase-rat routine again...
Old 12 Feb 2003, 13:20 (Ref:504409)   #25
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's my take.

Anyway who funds the FIA to keep developing state of the art surveillance equipment?

Will their ability to pay be in line with the teams?