Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Performance is the name of the game for Button

From speedtv.com:
Quote:
The Briton’s contract with the Honda-powered squad stipulates that if Jenson fails to score 70 percent of the championship’s leader’s points by the Hungarian GP, he will be released to fulfill his desire to join Williams. However, if he clears that mark - thus being in contention for the title by then - the Brackley-based outfit will hold on to his services in ‘06.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1203082)   #2
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is quite an amazing twist actually. For him to be on 70% or more points vs the leader he will certainly need to be on the podium at virtually every race, and most likely will have had at least one win too (assuming Ferrari dominate again). Otherwise he can just go to Williams. Does that mean he can go to Williams straight away - mid-season?

Anyhow - it sure seems like a win-in situation for Jenson, because if the has the points to be compelled to stay at BAR it will mean that he is in contention and therefore probably would want to hang around anyway. Also, one thing that could conceivably keep him away from those points is a good Williams performance - so Williams are doubly motivated to do well because that will help them get their driver.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1203084)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
FWIW (not a lot considering changes in the calendar, the cars and everything else) last year after the Hungarian GP (15th Aug 2004 - 13th race of the 18 race season) the situation was:

TGF: 120 points (100%)
JB: 65 points (54%)

Of course Michael did exceptionally well claiming 12 victories in the first 13 races, but he'd have had to have lost 3 of those victories to get Buttonover the 70%.

Generally I think that if he is within' 70% at that point he has a chance of the title. If not off he goes to Williams.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:05 (Ref:1203086)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen
Otherwise he can just go to Williams. Does that mean he can go to Williams straight away - mid-season?
That would be a big shock! I guess the cut off point at Hungary is for leaving at the end of the season. Webbers clause was similar at Jaguar Racing in 2004 and generally it is to give them time to sort something else?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1203090)   #5
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE=Glen]This is quite an amazing twist actually. For him to be on 70% or more points vs the leader he will certainly need to be on the podium at virtually every race, and most likely will have had at least one win too (assuming Ferrari dominate again). Otherwise he can just go to Williams. Does that mean he can go to Williams straight away - mid-season?
QUOTE]

And if so, could the William's reluctance to commit to NH/Pizzo be at all related to Button's situation? I certainly hope not.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1203093)   #6
Dog Faced Boy
Racer

England
Kingston upon Hull,Laaandon Essseeeeeexx
Dog Faced Boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Intresting,I think this could go either way. Schumacher wont dominate like he did last year so it could all come down to how Williams size up against BAR. If they can jump in front then they get Button, if not he stays at BAR. Either way I think Button is the winner. I'd love to see him at Williams though, it gives me strange patriotic stirrings in my scrotum.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1203106)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Presumably he would be leaving at the end of the season. Assuming that Ferrari have anything like the kind of dominance they had in 2004, being within 70% would probably make Jenson the closest non-Ferrari driver to the title. However, imagine the consternation in the Button camp if Jenson is within 70% of the leader, but a Williams is closer, or perhaps leading the way (unlikely, but you can't always tell pre-season)? Going into Hungary, would Jenson's approach change if he knew a bad result would release him to join Williams?
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1203119)   #8
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Faced Boy
Either way I think Button is the winner. I'd love to see him at Williams though, it gives me strange patriotic stirrings in my scrotum.

I wish there was a puking smilie...
Old 17 Jan 2005, 17:56 (Ref:1203124)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
[QUOTE=Kirk]
Quote:
And if so, could the William's reluctance to commit to NH/Pizzo be at all related to Button's situation? I certainly hope not.
While I am sure Button will not move until the end of the season whatever I don't think it would have much bearing on the choice between heidfeld and Pizzonia. Why would it? I don't think either will be holding out for a year guarentee. Both would be pleased to get any race drives!
Old 17 Jan 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1203144)   #10
Kirk
Veteran

While I agree Adam, I just find it quite odd that Williams are dragging their butt on this. I can't help but look for an underlying reason for not giving Nick the seat, sooner, rather than later..

Last edited by Kirk; 17 Jan 2005 at 18:23.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 18:46 (Ref:1203158)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

'Dragging their feet' (sic)? What is the rush? As both will test extensively it doesn't make much difference. Also they probably know in which case the only thing they haven't done is tell us. What is the rush?!

'Looking for a reason for not giving Nick the seat, sooner, rather than later'? I don't get this, sorry. If they are looking to do something sooner, why would they drag their rears on this?

Back to the main topic: The Button clause is interesting. A lot of drivers have or have had this. Generally we don't know the details of the situation and assuming this information is correct then it is something to look out for.

Last edited by Adam43; 17 Jan 2005 at 18:48.
Old 17 Jan 2005, 19:02 (Ref:1203165)   #12
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dov
I'm really suprised by this, well good luck to him, anyway If I was him I would stay at BAR even if he fails his target.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 07:02 (Ref:1203523)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
This is quite an amazing twist actually. For him to be on 70% or more points vs the leader he will certainly need to be on the podium at virtually every race, and most likely will have had at least one win too (assuming Ferrari dominate again).
Imo, he negotiated that deal knowing that he wouldn't be able to acheive it, thus it leaves him free to join Williams, however, according to F1 Racing mag, he now actually wants to acheive it so he can stay at B*A*R.

Quote:
Otherwise he can just go to Williams. Does that mean he can go to Williams straight away - mid-season?
No, for 2006.

Again, according to F1 Racing mag, Williams can take his services under this contract whether he wants to go or not.

I think Jensons dropped a clanger here to be honest, as i'm convinced that he now wants to stay at B*A*R, but might not be able due to this contract.

Last edited by Mr V; 18 Jan 2005 at 07:03.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 14:03 (Ref:1203776)   #14
Kirk
Veteran

Seventy percent is a tad high but assuming that MS does not dominate like he has, I think it is acheivable.

To respond to Adam concerning Williams. I know Nick and Pizzo are big boys but FW et al, are hardly instilling them with confidence are they? As professionals it should be irrelevant, but as ST says "never underestimate how what is in a driver's head affects their performance". I just object how this team treats it's drivers that's all; like objects rather than people.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 14:24 (Ref:1203801)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Agreed. I like Williams generally for there no-nonsense approach. They say how it is and don't pander to anyone, drivers included! However maybe this isn't best for some, as we have seen. It does make me think that there is no need to search for reasons for delaying the decision. Williams will tell us when they're ready and won't need to have delayed it for any reason.
Old 18 Jan 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1203809)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Williams need tough, self-contained characters like Mark Webber - not prima donnas with fragile tempraments. Maybe they are giving Pizza-b and Nick a hard time now to make sure that they don't get another grumpy driver like Schumi-lite.