Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 20 Dec 2011, 16:18 (Ref:3002300)   #26
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been inspired to stop being lazy and actually fire up GPL tonight, my G25 has been mounted to my desk for as long as I've had it but it rarely gets used these days.

The last time I had a look at GPL was when the sports car mod came out and I wanted to check out the Targa Florio, before that, I was trying to go negative on all the tracks starting with the more challenging cars. I recall spending ages trying to go negative in the Honda at Zandvoort. The elation when I did it was amazing (love that feeling!) then I moved on to the Cooper but somehow I stopped playing, I can't really remember why.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 12:21 (Ref:3004490)   #27
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Then you must start again - then you'll remember why GPL was (and still is) so good.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 14:27 (Ref:3004514)   #28
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Then you must start again - then you'll remember why GPL was (and still is) so good.
I never forgot how enjoyable it was to play! I've been at it for a couple of days now, back in the Cooper and getting my times down at Zandvoort (what a stable chassis that car is - probably why it is also so darn slow!), I'm still trying to find my 'middle of the pack' pace I used to have because I'm way of the pace now!
Old 27 Dec 2011, 16:20 (Ref:3004547)   #29
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Haha cmon man get witht he real world! Iracing Rfactor, you would love Historix on RF?

Got yourself a wheel yet?
Old 27 Dec 2011, 17:38 (Ref:3004560)   #30
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Haha cmon man get witht he real world! Iracing Rfactor, you would love Historix on RF?
I'll tell you, for me, rFactor is a bore compared with GPL. GPL is a real test of your ability to drive 'virtually'. And cg7aa, you could pick up a classic red Momo Force like my old beauty for a fiver on Ebay - chunder is at least right about the wheel - absolutely essential!
Old 27 Dec 2011, 21:52 (Ref:3004648)   #31
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gotta say I tried GPL recently and it was awful!

Maybe there are plugins you can use to make it better but the original version I played was awful!
Old 27 Dec 2011, 23:03 (Ref:3004668)   #32
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there was a 'textures' pack which makes everything look much better than originally, you also need a patch to prevent it from going doolaley on quicker processors than it was intended to use.

used to love GPL, the real fun was that you couldnt just put the cd into the drive and set quick laps, it took a long long time to get used to the physics

not played it for years! the wheel went in the bin years ago as it was broken,
Old 28 Dec 2011, 09:29 (Ref:3004745)   #33
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
used to love GPL, the real fun was that you couldnt just put the cd into the drive and set quick laps, it took a long long time to get used to the physics

Er yes, that's because of the high degree of accuracy..... GPL isn't an arcade game - it's a racing sim.

And chunder, yes of course the original graphics on GPL were pants, this is a 12 year old (?) sim. But if you looked at it on my screen with masses and masses of graphical and other add-ons, I think you'd be surprised..... But if people are content with the level of challenge provided by such as rFactor, then GPL is a probably a step too far......
Old 28 Dec 2011, 10:56 (Ref:3004772)   #34
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Believe me I have played an awful lot of sims, good and bad.

I couldn't use my G25 as it felt like using an analogue pad! Just felt awful, but I imagine that is due to software issues.

ANd also believe me, some of the mods on Rfactor are far superior! GPL players do get a bit high and mighty, but that is coz that game was very quirky and only suited old tech.

Those of us raised on more modern games just find it creaky and hard to play, and that does mean we cant play it, just that it doesn't suit a modern games PC at all.

I urge you t try Iracing or a decent mod on RF, they make GPL look like a BBC Micro game!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 11:04 (Ref:3004778)   #35
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I've tried 20+ mods on rFactor - but they all feel much the same. Too easy for starters! Just because a great mod is hard to play is exactly the reason to play it - to want to master it instead of just jumping on and being able to drive with no 'training'. You have to really learn to drive GPL. It took me the best part of 2 years to 'go negative', the indicator of a small amount of skill on the sim. If GPL drivers do get high and mighty, it's because we feel very strongly that it was the best, and for some, like me, it still is. Nothing I've tried since comes close to the challenge GPL sets you. There's absolutely nothing quirky at all about it - you have to learn and persevere. If that's too much of an expectation, then people will no doubt stick to (what are IMO) easy 'jump on and drive' games. And I really do mean that - even if it offends sensibilities here and there.... If I can persuade one person to try (retry) GPL which means loading all the patches, updates, extra tracks etc. and doing it properly, then I consider the job well done.....
Old 28 Dec 2011, 14:36 (Ref:3004827)   #36
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Well for me it will always be "that game", not "the game"

I do think that if you were brought up playing it you will never think anything is as good, and if you were brought up playing other games like GTR,RF etc you will never really get on as well with GPL.

I prefer realism in games, and also a bit of fun!

Believe me I know what hard is, trying to master something liek F1 1991 round Monaco in a Footwork Porsche is hard with full damage, missed shifts allowed and H pattern changes.

Or trying to do a Legends race round a half mile oval in Iracing without hitting a wall, touching a car and setting laptimes a tenth apart.

Getting in a car and finding that all you have done for years in every sim you ever played no longer applies just seems wrong to me!

Chalk and cheese, and I prefer Stilton
Old 28 Dec 2011, 15:23 (Ref:3004837)   #37
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I also am a great fan of GPL, I do not like the "it's not hard to drive, it's not a sim" mantra from a lot of the GPL diehards. It is simply not true that a sim must be hard to drive to be realistic. In fact, the more accurate a sim is, the easier it should become to control the cars as they react more like they would in real life.

Of course, GPL's cars where a ***** to drive in real life as well, but that does not mean that other (newer) sims with actually more accurate physics are less of a sim than GPL was. Take rFactors F1legends mod (or however it was called, the mod with the late 70s F1) and it is predictable to drive but hard to pull out the very last bit out of the cars - just as it should be.

That said, there is little that beats the sound of the Ferrari 312 screaming down the straight towards Curva Grande in pursuit of a Lotus 49 and the pulling out of the slipstream to pass right into the turn, dancing on the edge of grip.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 16:21 (Ref:3004862)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Horses for courses, I suppose. It just astonished me, having done a handful of laps since 2004 (!), that I found it so good when I went back to GPL recently. I would just urge people to try it (and properly with all the bells and whistles) just to see how good it is.

One day, when someone brings out a really good Le Mans sim, maybe I'll give it up!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 18:06 (Ref:3004893)   #39
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Try Enduracers LMS mod for Rfactor, it is perhaps the most complete and thorough mod in the game.

Physics are good, graphics are simply amazing. Physics are good but not perfect
Old 28 Dec 2011, 19:55 (Ref:3004919)   #40
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
...And cg7aa, you could pick up a classic red Momo Force like my old beauty for a fiver on Ebay - chunder is at least right about the wheel - absolutely essential!
Ayse, I've got a wheel already; a G25. I've actually been playing GPL on and off since 2001 when someone introduced it to me at uni. Looks like I've entered into one of my 'on' periods and thoroughly loving it. I'm now doing 1min 27s around Zandvoort in the Cooper, I need to find a second to go negative then it's the BRM!
Old 28 Dec 2011, 19:57 (Ref:3004920)   #41
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Try Enduracers LMS mod for Rfactor, it is perhaps the most complete and thorough mod in the game.

Physics are good, graphics are simply amazing. Physics are good but not perfect

I intend to give this a go at some point Rob. I wanna try this track:

http://www.virtua-lm.com/lemans/index.php
Old 28 Dec 2011, 22:21 (Ref:3004951)   #42
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Haha, Le Mans is OK I guess

That team were supposed to be doing a huge LM mod, but it never got released, they only released it on F1 challenge I think, but it is amazing apparently.
Old 29 Dec 2011, 19:39 (Ref:3005273)   #43
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
Ayse, I've got a wheel already; a G25. I've actually been playing GPL on and off since 2001 when someone introduced it to me at uni. Looks like I've entered into one of my 'on' periods and thoroughly loving it. I'm now doing 1min 27s around Zandvoort in the Cooper, I need to find a second to go negative then it's the BRM!

Delighted to hear it, but it's addictive. Once you start going 'green' you'll want a full sheet of 'greens'.....
Old 3 Jan 2012, 22:24 (Ref:3006929)   #44
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just found those thousandths I needed to go green at Imola. Next stop back to Keimola......

Spud - I even went and searched out the old TTFRL threads. Brings back some memories. I don't suppose you still have any of the replays, do you?
Old 5 Jan 2012, 14:56 (Ref:3007716)   #45
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Delighted to hear it, but it's addictive. Once you start going 'green' you'll want a full sheet of 'greens'.....
I think I just reminded myself of why I sometimes leave GPL for a while: the sheer bloody frustration of it when you are trying to go green and you hit a brick wall and cannot go any quicker no matter what you try! I'm stuck in the low 1min 27s at Zandvoort in the Cooper and try as I may I can't get much quicker, lots of perspiration for not much reward on the clock.

Problem is made worse by the fact that I can pretty much drive any setup to get the same times so it's not as if I can hit on a some magic setup and go a second quick. I'm stuck on a plateau! I have done a couple of high 1min 26s (target is to be below 1min 26.5) but I suspect they were more fluke than anything else, in any case, I have only managed 3 such laps and have not been able to replicate it.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 19:34 (Ref:3007819)   #46
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Funny isn't it?

I came back to it after an absence of pretty much 7 years and thought I'll not be as quick as I used to be. I was no 'alien' even at my best, but reasonably proud of my -33 rank. I decided to try and go green on the HistoricRank and ChallengeRank circuits I was still out on. It took me a week to get Lime Rock and for the last 10 days or so I've been pounding around Imola. I hated Imola back in the days, only then managing a 1.35 (benchmark is approx 1.33.6). I found a reasonable set up (I have many installed) and got down to the high 33's with one 'fluke' lap at 1.33.7, but I kept making the same mistakes. The night before last, just before I went to bed, I installed my 1.27 Monza set up, changed the gearing, and in 5 laps went a hundredth under. Last night I did another dozen laps and got down to 1.33.11. Pribluda was telling me on best sectors I could have done a 32.8.

Off to Keimola now and I shall use the same set up with suitable Keimola gearing.

It is just great fun [boring, boring!] unsurpassed by anything else [/boring, boring!]. When you actually beat a benchmark, the satisfaction is tremendous. And the ability to analyse on GPLRA and upload to GLPRank is great fun too.
Old 5 Jan 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3007951)   #47
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Funny isn't it?

I came back to it after an absence of pretty much 7 years and thought I'll not be as quick as I used to be. I was no 'alien' even at my best, but reasonably proud of my -33 rank. I decided to try and go green on the HistoricRank and ChallengeRank circuits I was still out on. It took me a week to get Lime Rock and for the last 10 days or so I've been pounding around Imola. I hated Imola back in the days, only then managing a 1.35 (benchmark is approx 1.33.6). I found a reasonable set up (I have many installed) and got down to the high 33's with one 'fluke' lap at 1.33.7, but I kept making the same mistakes. The night before last, just before I went to bed, I installed my 1.27 Monza set up, changed the gearing, and in 5 laps went a hundredth under. Last night I did another dozen laps and got down to 1.33.11. Pribluda was telling me on best sectors I could have done a 32.8.

Off to Keimola now and I shall use the same set up with suitable Keimola gearing.

It is just great fun [boring, boring!] unsurpassed by anything else [/boring, boring!]. When you actually beat a benchmark, the satisfaction is tremendous. And the ability to analyse on GPLRA and upload to GLPRank is great fun too.
What is your Cooper time at Zandvoort and can you offer any hints as to how to extract more out of that car at this track?
Old 7 Jan 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3008528)   #48
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg7aa View Post
What is your Cooper time at Zandvoort and can you offer any hints as to how to extract more out of that car at this track?

Not much better than yours - 1.26.662- so only 0.186 under benchmark. That time would have been set in 03 or 04 and I doubt that I've driven Zandvoort since. Unfortunately I can't identify the setup I did that with either.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3016152)   #49
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be interesting to hear if any of you GPL guys have tried the F1 1971 for Rfactor and what you think? I'm a big GPL fan but I'm enjoying the F1 1971 mod. The cars are still very skittish but you can feel some of the aero effects which means its a different kind of challenge.

The 70s F5000 mod has quite an 'accurate' feel too - I think its put together by the same team.
Old 24 Jan 2012, 21:21 (Ref:3016442)   #50
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've been a little off the ball with Rfactor recently and didn't realise there was a F1 '71 mod available. I'll have to try it!