Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 29 Nov 2016, 05:09 (Ref:3691956)   #326
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
The quality of those engines is less than reputable.

Hopefully whatever's in the new Commodore is a significant improvement.
Fair enough, my V8 is mighty fine
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:21 (Ref:3691998)   #327
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The quality of those engines is less than reputable.

Hopefully whatever's in the new Commodore is a significant improvement.
My 2005 VZ V6 Alloytec has 230 KLM on the clock and has not missed a beat in 11 years
Old 29 Nov 2016, 09:32 (Ref:3692000)   #328
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mite5255 View Post
My 2005 VZ V6 Alloytec has 230 KLM on the clock and has not missed a beat in 11 years
Not many others can share the same experience.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 10:05 (Ref:3692011)   #329
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Not many others can share the same experience.
they missed a marketing oppurtunity:

Built Australian Tough

we do build well, I ran into a Toyota bloke at the Gold Coast, they broke a Hilux, the Japanese said " no way, the Aussies said yes, a reengineering required by Japan " which they did

So if you are Ford, Holden, Toyota, fan, remember this

"Australia does build better cars, just ask Ford Uk, Aussies rebuilt there cars for sale in India, etc etc "

I was privileged to see the GTR X Torana in the flesh as an apprentice at GM Holden in the 70's , one awesome car designed and built here in Australia

Last edited by fomoco; 29 Nov 2016 at 10:07. Reason: add
Old 30 Nov 2016, 01:36 (Ref:3692253)   #330
bortall
Racer

Australia
West Gippsland
bortall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mite5255 View Post
Similar here - 2005 VZ with 270000 & no trouble (Knock on wood )
Old 30 Nov 2016, 01:57 (Ref:3692257)   #331
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Loud minority problem - like the "millions" of faulty VW DSG gearboxes Fairfax were telling us about after VW stopped advertising...
Old 30 Nov 2016, 02:29 (Ref:3692262)   #332
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Loud minority problem - like the "millions" of faulty VW DSG gearboxes Fairfax were telling us about after VW stopped advertising...
I had one.. actually 3 gearboxes.. replaced in the same car... the dealer literally had no clue as to what to do next. VW Australia was no better.

At less than 28,000km...

Being at a dealer every week for nearly 4 months just inside the warranty was exciting ... to get to drive a Polo loan car around while the car I actually bought was plugged into life giving machines that plainly didn't work wasn't my idea of fun. You can only drink so much free filter coffee in the waiting areas!

The Volksy people tell me 2 box replacements, wiring loom replacement, steering rack replacement and the gearbox mechatronics replacement 3 times is a pretty good thing to have happen. Means they are interrogating the car apparently (like Sgt Schultz might I suspect)

Bye bye Herman the German

Meantime, my Honda is nearly 6 years old, and is as good as the day it rocked out of the showroom... everything works... always has...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 30 Nov 2016, 03:25 (Ref:3692269)   #333
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My experiences have been at the coalface in the dealership.

I'm pretty certain we replaced more Alloytecs than DSGs. Sales of both brands were pretty similar, same goes for patronage to the service department. Warranty bays for replaced parts were roughly the same sized piles, too.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 04:24 (Ref:3692275)   #334
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I had one.. actually 3 gearboxes.. replaced in the same car... the dealer literally had no clue as to what to do next. VW Australia was no better.
Obviously there were problems that once rectified no longer occurred, the recall for the mechatronic changed oil from synthetic to mineral and there were no problems after that. Doesn't help you if you did have the problem before it was found, though, and doesn't explain or excuse the other issues. This is purely the 7sp box that was beaten completely out of proportion by Fairfax. In the meantime I did 250,000km in the cars without any problems. I'm over 400,00km in my own Golfs now and over 250,000k in Europcars, all with DSG and I've never been left on the side of the road. My first was South African built, and the 2 after that were German - and I think this makes a difference. I would have also racked up a large number in similarly equipped Audis.

Meanwhile Ford now has a class action suit over their dual-clutch gearboxes... And I nearly ran someone over in an Ecosport when it lurched forward with no foot on throttle!
Old 30 Nov 2016, 07:25 (Ref:3692285)   #335
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Originally Posted by mite5255

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortall View Post
Similar here - 2005 VZ with 270000 & no trouble (Knock on wood )
maybe we were both lucky to have a car that was build on a Wednesday
Old 30 Nov 2016, 10:49 (Ref:3692321)   #336
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

At less than 28,000km...
Maybe you're just really hard on the gear GTR?

DSG boxes seemed to be like the rhyme of the little girl with the curl - when they were good they were very good but a bad one was incredible horrid.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3692322)   #337
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Maybe you're just really hard on the gear GTR?

DSG boxes seemed to be like the rhyme of the little girl with the curl - when they were good they were very good but a bad one was incredible horrid.
I wish that was a good excuse.

Around work, I always hear a number of Golf GTi and Rs around who short shift and the mixture just BANGs between the shifts. No way that is good for the gearbox or the engine..
Old 30 Nov 2016, 12:03 (Ref:3692336)   #338
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Around work, I always hear a number of Golf GTi and Rs around who short shift and the mixture just BANGs between the shifts. No way that is good for the gearbox or the engine..
Actually if they are tuned you might be surprised...
Old 30 Nov 2016, 12:15 (Ref:3692338)   #339
Umai Naa
Veteran

Quote:
I wish that was a good excuse.

Engine mapping allows that to happen. No harm to the gearbox or engine.

It's just an aesthetic thing.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 14:50 (Ref:3692396)   #340
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
DSG farts sound awful.
Old 30 Nov 2016, 23:23 (Ref:3692547)   #341
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
DSG farts sound awful.
But the AMG A45 omg...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Old 1 Dec 2016, 08:26 (Ref:3692627)   #342
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
DSG farts sound awful.
I object to that.
Old 1 Dec 2016, 11:17 (Ref:3692654)   #343
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg View Post
I object to that.
Perhaps attach a bugle or something so they sound better?
Old 1 Dec 2016, 15:24 (Ref:3692715)   #344
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I object to that.
Old 4 Dec 2016, 03:08 (Ref:3693463)   #345
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nissan says autonomous vehicles worth 18 Trillion dollars to Euro Economy

Damn shame the 'Clever Country' has shut its automotive manufacturing industry down as the next frontier in cars approaches. Doesn't sound too clever to me...
Old 12 Dec 2016, 01:25 (Ref:3695388)   #346
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Meanwhile Ford now has a class action suit over their dual-clutch gearboxes... And I nearly ran someone over in an Ecosport when it lurched forward with no foot on throttle!
I'd be very keen to learn more about this!!
Old 12 Dec 2016, 01:30 (Ref:3695389)   #347
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I object to that.
It was only sound critique, as opposed to odour, where they surely must smell like lavender, roses, or vanilla
Old 12 Dec 2016, 03:04 (Ref:3695399)   #348
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Do It! View Post
I'd be very keen to learn more about this!!
http://fordclassaction.com.au/
Old 13 Jan 2017, 04:59 (Ref:3702242)   #349
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
October 20, 2017

Old 14 Jan 2017, 23:59 (Ref:3702635)   #350
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Motoring.com.au have the same story, but shed light on the demise of Toyota as well.

http://www.motoring.com.au/holdens-l...ber-20-105468/

Interestingly they , had to give 40 weeks notice .